The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Ovale V8 VV discussion!

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by dragonbone, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    See here => Review of Charger TrustFire TR-001

You got lucky with one that will actually charge to 4.2 volts - a lot of this current version never get past 3.7 volts as reported here.

It really is a bad charger. This is the type of design that gives all chargers a bad reputation - do not leave batteries in this particular charge for extended periods when the charge cycle has completed. You should pay special notice to the safety question raised of using it at 230 VAC.

2. fourthrok

fourthrok Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2012
    Watertown, NY
    Hi Katdarling! I'm still around...mostly in lurker mode unless I think I can jump in and help someone, lol! Been so content with my vape lately, I'm content to just sit back, puff, and observe! :vapor:

3. dragonbone

dragonbone Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 21, 2009
    Somewhere
    Hey Fourthrok! Just noticed your banner. I see that we quit almost the same time - you just 5 days ahead of me, however, you have saved a a lot more money than me - $5'400!!! that's very impressive. Have you done anything with your 'savings', like go on a holiday or spoilt yourself in some other way?

4. fourthrok

fourthrok Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2012
    Watertown, NY
    Not really DB...wish I could say I had! But I have had more money to buy STUFF. New dishes, new vape bag(s) and cases, new vaping gear in general, clothes, gadgets, furniture. You know. STUFF. And it has certainly helped with having less worries at bill paying time...especially those pesky doctor bills! So it's all good! :toast:

5. glycerol

glycerol Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2013
    Central Europe
    Well, my V8 is still far away, about 600 kilometres from my city. Feeling something is wrong since it was sent on friday.. and refreshing DHL's page like 20 times a day doesn't help much.

@ zogu: Yeah, also possible, thanks. I just wonder what is better - to just clip both springs or mess with the integrity of the batteries?

@ RickajhoWell: I don't know about this CPF review, but 18 hours later all four batteries still give me 4.1-4.2V so I guess it's not charging that low.

edit: I read the Budget Light Forums and they don't seem to dislike the charger.. and they like calling the Candle Power Forum members noobs though lol :D

6. Katdarling

Katdarling Is this a mask, or underwear... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    REMOVE battery protection?? Cut the wires?? :shock: I am not sure this is a good recommendation, especially for newbies. Even as a Vet, I would not do that!

Oh this made me laugh! A forum is a forum is a forum, eh? Even the flashlight guys have their camps! :D

7. zogu

zogu Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Beograd, Vracar
    Katdarling, i wouldn't recommend this if he use mechanical mod, but two batteries in series with electronic really does not need protection.
    Glycerol, removing protection can be tricky, be very careful and if you can discharge batteries to 2.75-3, even if you make some shortcut at this voltage is not dangerous. They will be ugly, but actually no one will see them. I will post some pics of batteries with removed protection tomorrow, or even better look at this link.
    If you cut springs it is very small chance that you will find new springs, you will buy correct batteries when this dies, i wouldn't do that. Batteries are not expensive, ultrafire are 5 usd pair on DX and they works in V8 perfectly, much cheaper then new device ;)

8. glycerol

May 18, 2013
    Central Europe
    So guys and girls, I finally got my Ovale. Looked great (no box or additional packaging btw, just the V8 itself), put my Protank on it, opened the battery compartment and the 37mm 1200mahs couldn't fit at all. I got SO ANGRY (mostly at myself) that I couldn't even check if it works, that I immediately cut both springs leaving only 1.5 coil of them and managed to insert the god-damned batteries.

[​IMG]

Vape was great @ just 3,1V with a 2,4 Ohm atty, no question about it, TONS of vapor.

Then later, after testing the VV, the Ohm readings and all other functions I tried to remove the batteries and.. NO FUGGIN WAY TO DO THAT!!! Again SOMEHOW I managed to remove them, but at this point I was already completely crazy, so I took two pairs of pliers and just broke off all conflicting points (marked red) which made the central console (marked green) a bit more flexible and I could finally insert and remove them trouble-free:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know, I know, I'm an idiot. But the vape was soo good that I just couldn't wait for some new, shorter batteries. It looks fugly on the inside, but when you put the cover nothing shows, so I guess it's not so bad since I managed to keep the integrity of the device and now I vape with 2 x 1200 mah:

[​IMG]

I guess *normal* 18350s will be loose inside it after my *modifications*, but hey, since the 1200mahs fit so nicely now, I don't think I would ever vape with smaller cells anyway. Btw, tested it @ 1.8 ohm and it's an overkill even at 3.0V, so I wouldn't go lower than 2.4 ohms on it. Thanks again for all the help!!!

9. Katdarling

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    I've always always struggled with the batts going in and out of the Ovale (more of the in than the out). I KNOW the frustration, all too well.

All I can say, glycerol, is that this fix of yours is proof that necessity is the mother of modding!

10. glycerol

May 18, 2013
    Central Europe
    Hi again, after using the Ovale for a while I must say I'm amazed that a device in this price range can be so consistent and offer such a good vape. I have few questions though:

1. At how many volts should I recharge the batteries? I'm still at 7.5v. Perhaps at 7.0v?

2. My 2.4 ohm atty is now detected as a 1.9 ohm. This number varies between 1.9 and 2.4 ohm. Is this normal? It's a VERY old atty that was dry burned many, many times though..

3. I have some leaky 2.4 ohm attys I tried rewicking myself and I want to use them since most of my other atties are 1.8 ohm and this is way too low for the power of the Ovale. Can I count that the 510 connector will not let any juice inside the device if an atty leaks?

Thanks in advance.

11. dragonbone

May 21, 2009
    Somewhere
    Lol!!!! :D Well, when you have to vape, you have to vape!
    Anyway, congratulations.

12. glycerol

May 18, 2013
    Central Europe
    Wow, chain-vaped for 18 hours with the two 1200mAhs!! Took 5 hours to charge the first pair though.. this charger IS slow. Anyway, some say it will prolong bateries' life by charging them @ 500mA each. At CPF they state fast chargers charging with 1A+ seem to damage the cells in a much shorter period of time. Oh, whateveeer.. I just enjoy the vape so much right now and wanted to share lol :D Sells of e-cig products are multiplying every year, quitting the stinkies and going electronic is becoming a trend, prices are dropping fast.. I guess the age of the full-featured budget devices is not far away.. and I also bet cigarette companies will enter this game sooner or later seeing that the new generations would be less and less enthusiastic about getting a nic kick by inhaling highly cancerous chemicals + toxic tar

13. Katdarling

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    glycerol, the big tobacco industry HAS already entered the game. And by doing so, just might put Mom & Pops out of business.

14. Cool_Breeze

Cool_Breeze Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    ...know of a U.S. supplier stocking V8 bodies..?

15. Cannonfoddr

Cannonfoddr Full Member

Jun 14, 2013
    idaho

I would love to get a hold of one of these..

16. Rickajho

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    It will tell you. When you hit the fire button and the display reads "Lo" it won't fire. About 6.5 volts at that point.

That can happen, especially with older coils as the nichrome deteriorates.

Are you taking out the top wicks on the PT coils? That can result in leaking, especially if you use very thin liquids.

The V2 has that nice, flush mounted sealed 510 connector so leaking should not be a problem for it. But never say never if you manage to have a tank completely drained sort of a problem.

17. Rickajho

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    My search just said "no." To my knowledge Eric @ DiscountVapers was the only US distributor that made a 2nd pass at restocking them and once they sold out that was the end of it.

18. dragonbone

May 21, 2009
    Somewhere
    They are still available on Alibaba. That is where I bought mine from originally. Ovale V8 . If anyone ever orders, please get a pink one for me :).

19. Rickajho

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    DB how does that purchasing through Alibaba work? It sure doesn't seem to be like plain old web site purchasing. In a way it looks very 17th century or something. Check the minimums, get in contact, wait to see if anyone even replies, back and forth about options, make an offer, see if they accept, give them cash, pray you get something....

USA vendors aside - and despite the appearance of them being available on Alibaba - hardly anyone is selling them anywhere on a retail level. I found one China vendor - that had 4 of the version one bodies... and that was about it.

20. dragonbone

May 21, 2009
    Somewhere
    Kind of like eBay, except that you speak to the seller on Alibaba's chat program. Ask how much for one or whatever, check the shipping options and pay. In the old days I always insisted on paying with Paypal, although not all vendor's accept Paypal. But these days I just pay with the Escrow thing. I did a LOT of research, over years, before thinking it seems as safe as any online shopping can be. Safer than buying from a US vendor with poor CC shopping portals, (or whatever they are called) lol.

Alibaba is a massive company, and just like eBay, vendors work hard to get good ratings. I have made about 12 - 15 orders on Alibaba, some for big equipment and other stuff. Not only ecig related. Always no problem. Just check how long the vendor has been there etc. Like on eBay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.