• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Ovarian Cancer Survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Hello all;

I just wanted to share a little about my fights with cancer. It has been a hard journey, but I thank God I'm still here to tell about it! I've survived cancer 3 times in my lifetime. I lost my leg at age 3, had breast cancer at age 35, and ovarian cancer 20 months later at age 37.

This thread--and in fact, the entire survivors group--is for anyone: survivor, caregiver, family member, friend who would like to share their experiences, thoughts, triumphs, or just vent. As we survivors know, it truly helps to talk to someone who has been through what we have. Our caregivers are the most wonderful people, too! Here's a little of my experience.

I had just been through a fight with breast cancer. I had numerous infections and complications from the surgeries, and reconstructions. In one year, I needed four surgeries to correct the problems. I thought the worst was over.

I had been feeling pain in my lower left side for a few months. I thought it was my colon acting up from all of the chemo I'd had. (I had the Red concoction for the breast cancer. Adriamycin/Cytoxan--my lifetime limit.)

On one occasion about 8 months after my surgery, I was standing in the doctor's office after a check up on the breast reconstruction, and I felt the worst pain start in my lower abdomen! It hurt so badly, I had to hold on to the edge of the receptionist's desk to keep from falling down. I guess I hid the pain well, because nobody noticed anything wrong. After a few minutes, the pain went away, so I didn't mention it to the nurse. (Looking back, I should have.)

About 10 days later, I was in my Primary Physician's office and told him about it. He examined me and it was painful. He ordered an ultrasound, and a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst was found. From the ultrasound, it seemed to be blood filled, which isn't uncommon, I'm told. My Dr. monitored it, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It looked, and acted like a common cyst. But after four more ultrasounds, it was getting larger. So I went to a Gynecologist who told me it would have to be removed.

Exactly 1 year to the day I finished my chemo from the breast cancer, I underwent surgery to remove the ovarian cyst. The surgery was started with a laparoscope, but when the surgeon saw the condition of my abdomen, he put in an emergency page to the gynecologic oncology surgeon.

(I'll finish this in the next post.)

Copyright 2010

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Hello,

Exactly 1 year to the day I finished my chemo from the breast cancer, I underwent surgery to remove the ovarian cyst. The surgery was started with a laparoscope, but when the surgeon saw the condition of my abdomen, he put in an emergency page to the gynecologic oncology surgeon.

Part 2:

When the Gyn Oncology surgeon examined my abdomen, he immediately knew I would need a total hysterectomy. I had discussed the remote (or so I thought) possibility of hysterectomy with the other surgeon, but I had no idea cancer was even considered. It was my wish to keep my childbearing abilities at all cost. I hadn't had any children yet, but how I wanted to!! I wanted children with all my heart!!
The surgeon did the hysterectomy, and immediately sent the biopsies to the lab. It came back cancer. Stage IIIC.

I woke up in my room and my husband told me it was cancer. I don't remember anything after that until a couple of days later. I was transferred to another floor of the hospital. Ironically, the baby nursery was just down the hall from my new room. Even the floor nurses were puzzled as to why I was on that floor.

I spent 9 days in the hospital due to my incision becoming infected. (I had 10 surgeries in 4 years, and all but the two others done at a different hospital became infected.) I was sent home and the doctor made arrangements for home health care nurses to visit me 3 times a day to change my dressings.

I had a 4-inch deep tunnel from the surface of my skin down to the muscle.
It stubbornly refused to heal, and my chemotherapy couldn't be delayed, so I began the chemo 2 months after my surgery. The chemo caused even more complications, but I had to wait until at least 6 weeks after chemo before the doctor could surgically remove the infection and the tissue around the tunnel. So, 9 months after my hysterectomy, the doctor was finally able to do the surgery. At the same time, he also had to repair a grapefruit sized hernia at the incision site. (That is yet another story to tell in another post! It went on for 6 years.)

Throughout all of the experiences I had, there were times I just wanted to give up. But I thank God I didn't. He brought me through everything, and my faith is stronger for it! As hard as it was to deal with, I knew there were others who were going through worse than what I was. So, I felt I had no right to complain. I'm just thankful God brought me through it all!

I'll save the rest for another post.

I'm writing a book about my experiences. Maybe it will help others who are or have gone through it. I truly hope it does.
Copyright 2010

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Hi again;

So, 9 months after my hysterectomy, the doctor was finally able to do the surgery. At the same time, he also had to repair a grapefruit sized hernia at the incision site. (That is yet another story to tell in another post! It went on for 6 years.)
Part 3

After having my hernia repair done in June 2002, my abdomen finally healed without more complications--or so I thought!

I almost didn't know how to react to having my body whole again. I was finally able to return to work after 13 months off. I was itching to get back to driving over the road with my husband again!

After working part time during my breast cancer chemo treatments the year before, I was so run down, I had no reserves left. I would have a chemo treatment, and then be off for the next several days. Then I would drive for 2 weeks, and then take my next chemo. I had a treatment every 3 weeks. I think that is part of the reason I had so many complications with my abdomen. I exhausted myself by working too much. But a blessing in disguise came out of my part time driving. I re-gained full range of motion in my arm. Since then, I've never had any problems, Thank God!

So, the next four years were fairly good. After I quit driving the semi in 2004 because of arthritis, I took a part time job--in February 2006--at a fast food place where I'd worked before I started driving. At first, it seemed I could handle the job physically, as long as I was able to sit down periodically. (I couldn't sit for long periods any more, or be on my feet a long time either. I have arthritis in my lower spine, and my "good" knee.) The original surgeon who had done my hernia repair had placed mesh within my abdominal muscles to prevent another hernia, so I felt safe to do moderate lifting at work.

But just a few months into the job, my abdomen started hurting me again. At first, I thought I had just pulled a muscle like I'd done before. My muscles would become rigid, and the pain was almost unbearable. Then my abdomen started to swell up. It actually looked like I was 7 months pregnant! I went to my Doctor who took one look and sent me to the ER. I was admitted with an abscess at the original incision site (from my hysterectomy/hernia surgeries 4 years prior.)

I underwent emergency surgery, and the surgeon drained 2 liters of fluid from my abdomen. He also had to remove the infected tissue surrounding the abscess. It turned out to be MRSA. (The staph infection that's resistant to most antibiotics.) I was transferred to the Skilled Nursing Unit, put in isolation, and I was given an IV antibiotic called Vancomycin. I was there for an entire month. After the Doctor was certain the infection was gone, he released me to go home.

The first question I asked the Doctor was how those bacteria could be inside my abdomen--in a closed environment--for 4 years! The second was why it took that long to materialize. The Doctor didn't have any answers. He was as perplexed as I was.

Little did I know I was in for another surprise 18 months after this latest surgery. The Doctor found out what was causing the infection after all.

Continued in next post.
Copyright 2010

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
The first question I asked the Doctor was how those bacteria could be inside my abdomen--in a closed environment--for 4 years! The second was why it took that long to materialize. The Doctor didn't have any answers. He was as perplexed as I was.

Little did I know I was in for another surprise 18 months after this latest surgery. The Doctor found out what was causing the infection after all.

It took me nearly 3 months to recover from the surgery, and complications. I was slow to heal, and I was very concerned about being able to do any lifting at all. My job at the time required lifting, and I wanted to be sure I was healed before returning to work. I did light duty for a while, but then I was able to return to full duty in October of 2006.

Things were fine--for a while. But 18 months later, in January 2008, I started having more problems with my abdomen--again. It started to swell up like the last time, only this time there was an actual spot where my abdomen opened up. The hole was about the diameter of a nickel. Right near where my belly button used to be. (My belly button was removed during the hernia repair.) Thankfully, it didn't go as deep as before.

I went back to the Doctor, and he needed to do another surgery to drain the infected fluid from my abdomen. This time he removed a 2-inch square piece of the original mesh placed during my hernia repair.

That is where the MRSA originated. The mesh was contaminated.

I was stunned! I had no idea something like that was even possible! I was again admitted to the Skilled Nursing Unit in isolation, and put on IV antibiotics for 2 weeks this time.

The Doctor also had a wound pump attached to help remove and drain any fluid unseen that may have been left in there. That was one of my most painful experiences whenever the packing around the tube needed to be changed. Of course, the nerve endings are at the surface of your skin, and I truly dreaded seeing the nurses come into my room! I have a low tolerance for pain anyway.

I was finally sent home to recover. This time I ended up quitting my job. I couldn't handle the physical demands. My arthritis was acting up with a vengeance as well in several of my joints.

Today, I'm doing better. I don't know if I'll ever have more problems with my abdomen. I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Through all of these experiences, I thank God! He brought me through everything, when by rights the infection should have ended my life, it was that severe. He has a purpose for my being here. Perhaps it is so others can see His Grace at work. God is great, and I thank Him every day I'm still here!

Copyright 2010

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
LisaLisa;

I wanted to copy this thread I started in my Cancer Survivors and Loved Ones Group, and go into more detail about my journey from my Christian point of view. I didn't feel it was appropriate to post this fuller version there.

First and foremost, these experiences and this story is not about me. It is about God's Grace, and for His Glory alone. This is His story, not mine.

The one thing I'd like to share above all things with all of my friends here and in the other groups, is my faith in God. He has brought me through so much!! For years I felt under attack by the enemy down below, who threw things at me he thought would break me. What he didn't count on was God's Grace seeing me through all of it!! The attacks, the heartache, the medical problems, depression, discouragement. And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

My faith took a severe beating but I thank God everlasting, and forever for always being there with me through everything!
I learned some lessons that were hard won, and at the cost of some of the things I held dear. But God has a purpose for me to fulfill, and by His Grace, I am fulfilling it. I still don't understand all I need to just yet, but He will reveal these things in His time.

God Bless you all!

In His Love,

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Trukinlady......wow! What a testimony! And I thought my situation was difficult. It pales compared to yours. This story would knock the socks off of 'Jack Bauer!' :p I am so truly amazed and blessed by reading your story. Let me know when it comes out in hardback, or keep posting!

If you didn't know, vancomycin is the strongest anti-biotic made. Sometimes they use a gentamycin piggy back, meaning vanco first and genta second. I used to work for a home i.v. corporate office and yes, I know exactly what vanco is. If vanco doesn't help, then there's nothing that can be done. For MRSA, yeah, they use vanco. I have a friend in Texas who has end stage renal failure plus type 2 diabetes. She's not on a transplant list yet. But she was in the hospital, recently and picked up MRSA. If her situation wasn't bad enough, BOOM....MRSA. She was immediately put on vanco. She used to work with me at this home i.v. place, before she moved away to Texas, so she was familiar with vanco as well. Like you, she had prayers going to Heaven in her stead. She pulled through it, too! Have a blessed day and thank you for sharing!:)

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
I wanted to bump this to share it for His Glory first and formost!! He has brought me through so much!! These experiences are about Him, and what He has done in this life He gave back to me.
I also want to share the Hope that is in Christ Jesus. No matter what you've said and done, or how much you think you are not good enough to receive His precious gift of forgiveness, and eternal life--GOD LOVES YOU ANYWAY!! None of us deserve this gift--He has freely offered it to us. He sent His only Son to die on the cross for us--so that we may have our sins forgiven, and spend eternity in His Holy presence.
To God be all the Honor, Praise and Glory forever and always!!!!!!! AMEN!!!!!!!

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
I am still blown away by your testimony! That hasn't changed in the least. On this side of that horrendous ordeal, I still find it miraculous that your faith grew out of your pain. I can only imagine how awful it was.:(

When we are faced with adversity.....over and over and over again, it can make us or break us. Your faith grows or you turn bitter, and I've known some bitter Christians. Your testimony, Lady T, demonstrates how you allowed God to mold and shape you. He took care of the parts that the p.o.p. tried to use to kill you. Yep, the lord of the loo has tried to kill you, repeatedly. So why is that? You are detrimental to his kingdom. he thought he could break you, and get you out of the picture completely. Jesus had/has you covered in His healing blood. No one can pluck you out of His Hand....nobody! Hallelujah!!! We are safe in the palm of Jesus! He is our strength and our salvation! AMEIN!

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
I am still blown away by your testimony! That hasn't changed in the least. On this side of that horrendous ordeal, I still find it miraculous that your faith grew out of your pain. I can only imagine how awful it was.:(

When we are faced with adversity.....over and over and over again, it can make us or break us. Your faith grows or you turn bitter, and I've known some bitter Christians. Your testimony, Lady T, demonstrates how you allowed God to mold and shape you. He took care of the parts that the p.o.p. tried to use to kill you. Yep, the lord of the loo has tried to kill you, repeatedly. So why is that? You are detrimental to his kingdom. he thought he could break you, and get you out of the picture completely. Jesus had/has you covered in His healing blood. No one can pluck you out of His Hand....nobody! Hallelujah!!! We are safe in the palm of Jesus! He is our strength and our salvation! AMEIN!

AMEN!!!!!!! Hallelujah!!!!!!! All Honor, Praise, and Glory to God!!!!!!!

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Hello all;

I just wanted to share a little about my fights with cancer. It has been a hard journey, but I thank God I'm still here to tell about it! I've survived cancer 3 times in my lifetime. I lost my leg at age 3, had breast cancer at age 35, and ovarian cancer 20 months later at age 37.

This thread--and in fact, the entire survivors group--is for anyone: survivor, caregiver, family member, friend who would like to share their experiences, thoughts, triumphs, or just vent. As we survivors know, it truly helps to talk to someone who has been through what we have. Our caregivers are the most wonderful people, too! Here's a little of my experience.

I had just been through a fight with breast cancer. I had numerous infections and complications from the surgeries, and reconstructions. In one year, I needed four surgeries to correct the problems. I thought the worst was over.

I had been feeling pain in my lower left side for a few months. I thought it was my colon acting up from all of the chemo I'd had. (I had the Red concoction for the breast cancer. Adriamycin/Cytoxan--my lifetime limit.)

On one occasion about 8 months after my surgery, I was standing in the doctor's office after a check up on the breast reconstruction, and I felt the worst pain start in my lower abdomen! It hurt so badly, I had to hold on to the edge of the receptionist's desk to keep from falling down. I guess I hid the pain well, because nobody noticed anything wrong. After a few minutes, the pain went away, so I didn't mention it to the nurse. (Looking back, I should have.)

About 10 days later, I was in my Primary Physician's office and told him about it. He examined me and it was painful. He ordered an ultrasound, and a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst was found. From the ultrasound, it seemed to be blood filled, which isn't uncommon, I'm told. My Dr. monitored it, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It looked, and acted like a common cyst. But after four more ultrasounds, it was getting larger. So I went to a Gynecologist who told me it would have to be removed.

(I'll finish this in the next post.)

Copyright 2010

Hello,

Part 2:

When the Gyn Oncology surgeon examined my abdomen, he immediately knew I would need a total hysterectomy. I had discussed the remote (or so I thought) possibility of hysterectomy with the other surgeon, but I had no idea cancer was even considered. It was my wish to keep my childbearing abilities at all cost. I hadn't had any children yet, but how I wanted to!! I wanted children with all my heart!!
The surgeon did the hysterectomy, and immediately sent the biopsies to the lab. It came back cancer. Stage IIIC.

I woke up in my room and my husband told me it was cancer. I don't remember anything after that until a couple of days later. I was transferred to another floor of the hospital. Ironically, the baby nursery was just down the hall from my new room. Even the floor nurses were puzzled as to why I was on that floor.

I spent 9 days in the hospital due to my incision becoming infected. (I had 10 surgeries in 4 years, and all but the two others done at a different hospital became infected.) I was sent home and the doctor made arrangements for home health care nurses to visit me 3 times a day to change my dressings.

I had a 4-inch deep tunnel from the surface of my skin down to the muscle.
It stubbornly refused to heal, and my chemotherapy couldn't be delayed, so I began the chemo 2 months after my surgery. The chemo caused even more complications, but I had to wait until at least 6 weeks after chemo before the doctor could surgically remove the infection and the tissue around the tunnel. So, 9 months after my hysterectomy, the doctor was finally able to do the surgery. At the same time, he also had to repair a grapefruit sized hernia at the incision site. (That is yet another story to tell in another post! It went on for 6 years.)

Throughout all of the experiences I had, there were times I just wanted to give up. But I thank God I didn't. He brought me through everything, and my faith is stronger for it! As hard as it was to deal with, I knew there were others who were going through worse than what I was. So, I felt I had no right to complain. I'm just thankful God brought me through it all!

I'll save the rest for another post.

I'm writing a book about my experiences. Maybe it will help others who are or have gone through it. I truly hope it does.
Copyright 2010

Hi again;

So, 9 months after my hysterectomy, the doctor was finally able to do the surgery. At the same time, he also had to repair a grapefruit sized hernia at the incision site. (That is yet another story to tell in another post! It went on for 6 years.)
Part 3

After having my hernia repair done in June 2002, my abdomen finally healed without more complications--or so I thought!

I almost didn't know how to react to having my body whole again. I was finally able to return to work after 13 months off. I was itching to get back to driving over the road with my husband again!

After working part time during my breast cancer chemo treatments the year before, I was so run down, I had no reserves left. I would have a chemo treatment, and then be off for the next several days. Then I would drive for 2 weeks, and then take my next chemo. I had a treatment every 3 weeks. I think that is part of the reason I had so many complications with my abdomen. I exhausted myself by working too much. But a blessing in disguise came out of my part time driving. I re-gained full range of motion in my arm. Since then, I've never had any problems, Thank God!

So, the next four years were fairly good. After I quit driving the semi in 2004 because of arthritis, I took a part time job--in February 2006--at a fast food place where I'd worked before I started driving. At first, it seemed I could handle the job physically, as long as I was able to sit down periodically. (I couldn't sit for long periods any more, or be on my feet a long time either. I have arthritis in my lower spine, and my "good" knee.) The original surgeon who had done my hernia repair had placed mesh within my abdominal muscles to prevent another hernia, so I felt safe to do moderate lifting at work.

But just a few months into the job, my abdomen started hurting me again. At first, I thought I had just pulled a muscle like I'd done before. My muscles would become rigid, and the pain was almost unbearable. Then my abdomen started to swell up. It actually looked like I was 7 months pregnant! I went to my Doctor who took one look and sent me to the ER. I was admitted with an abscess at the original incision site (from my hysterectomy/hernia surgeries 4 years prior.)

I underwent emergency surgery, and the surgeon drained 2 liters of fluid from my abdomen. He also had to remove the infected tissue surrounding the abscess. It turned out to be MRSA. (The staph infection that's resistant to most antibiotics.) I was transferred to the Skilled Nursing Unit, put in isolation, and I was given an IV antibiotic called Vancomycin. I was there for an entire month. After the Doctor was certain the infection was gone, he released me to go home.

Continued in next post.
Copyright 2010

It took me nearly 3 months to recover from the surgery, and complications. I was slow to heal, and I was very concerned about being able to do any lifting at all. My job at the time required lifting, and I wanted to be sure I was healed before returning to work. I did light duty for a while, but then I was able to return to full duty in October of 2006.

Things were fine--for a while. But 18 months later, in January 2008, I started having more problems with my abdomen--again. It started to swell up like the last time, only this time there was an actual spot where my abdomen opened up. The hole was about the diameter of a nickel. Right near where my belly button used to be. (My belly button was removed during the hernia repair.) Thankfully, it didn't go as deep as before.

I went back to the Doctor, and he needed to do another surgery to drain the infected fluid from my abdomen. This time he removed a 2-inch square piece of the original mesh placed during my hernia repair.

That is where the MRSA originated. The mesh was contaminated.

I was stunned! I had no idea something like that was even possible! I was again admitted to the Skilled Nursing Unit in isolation, and put on IV antibiotics for 2 weeks this time.

The Doctor also had a wound pump attached to help remove and drain any fluid unseen that may have been left in there. That was one of my most painful experiences whenever the packing around the tube needed to be changed. Of course, the nerve endings are at the surface of your skin, and I truly dreaded seeing the nurses come into my room! I have a low tolerance for pain anyway.

I was finally sent home to recover. This time I ended up quitting my job. I couldn't handle the physical demands. My arthritis was acting up with a vengeance as well in several of my joints.

Today, I'm doing better. I don't know if I'll ever have more problems with my abdomen. I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Through all of these experiences, I thank God! He brought me through everything, when by rights the infection should have ended my life, it was that severe. He has a purpose for my being here. Perhaps it is so others can see His Grace at work. God is great, and I thank Him every day I'm still here!

Copyright 2010

[/B]

AMEN!!!!!!! Hallelujah!!!!!!! All Honor, Praise, and Glory to God!!!!!!!

Let's see if I did this right!! :laugh::blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread