Overwhelmed noob!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatom

Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I just discovered this forum since my daughter was given a White Cloud a few days ago and I started looking into it. I'm excited about vaping as a means to get away from the burning weed I've carried all my adult life.

I've spent the last couple days poring over this forum and, like others, am overwhelmed by the options available! I'm a DIY'er so feel sure I'll enjoy experimentation, just not sure where to start.

My wife and I both are down to 1/2 to 3/4 pack a day. I'll want something I can try different parts with. She'll want something that is easy to use. I think we'll start with a kit, like the eGo-C Type B, for us to share and experience, then buy another kit of something different maybe so we'll each have our own. I'd like to start with a 510 for the interchangeability. But I got a few questions.

Will my wife want cartomizers in addition to the cart/atty's with the starter kit since she's a no muss, no fuss kinda' gal?

Like everyone, I'll want to sample a variety of flavors. Fill each of the kit carts with a different flavor? I'll want more than 5 carts, won't I? Are there sample packs worth mentioning?

Change the atty when the cart is changed?

Any suggestions of accessories to the kit that should be ordered at the same time?

Clearomizer? Order with replacement coil heads? How often do coil heads need replacement? Long wick vs short wick? Changeable Heating Coil System? Sheesh!

Do I understand correctly that you can exchange carts for a different flavor at any time? Even from one vape to the next?

Is any supplier better than the next? I've seen hoosier mentioned as a good supplier but don't see them in the forum suppliers.

There's a good spirit and nice sense of community on this forum. I think I'll like it here if you guys don't run me off. Sorry if I sound like I haven't been reading. I don't really MEAN to be an idiot. My little brain doesn't absorb so well.

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond to any or all questions.

hnyb0210

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
PA
Welcome & congratulations on making this decision - sounds like you've really done your homework (much more than I had done when I started - wait, more than I've done yet!)

I am like your wife in that I wanted something very easy to use. At this point I'm willing to refill my own cartomizers & that's about as far as I go. I do change cartos very frequently, often from one vape to the next! I'm finding that I like to experiment w/flavors so that I don't get bored.

I don't have a lot of advice to give you since I'm new, but any moment now you will get more advice than you can imagine :) These folks are great, and yes, there is a wonderful sense of community & support here! There is so much information that it's easy to get overload!

FlossBandit

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'd just bypass the starter kit and get an eGo twist battery. Variable voltage so you can adjust to what tastes best to you.

Then all you need is your whatever you want to hold the juice (cartomizer, tank, clearomizer, atomizer), charger & liquid. You'll actually get what you want instead of all the trash the send with the starters.

Try out AltSmoke or DragonFly ECigs. They're always fast and have never let me down. MyVaporStore stamps their own logo on Joyetech products instead of theirs, so heads up...

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Hi flatom. Welcome to ECF.
As for your wanting to experiment & DIY, the sky is the limit for you young man! LOL
As for the lady, if she wants simple, I am the simpleton master. Here ya go:
Cartomizers are simple. This is a combo of atomizer & cartridge in one unit. No leaks. No hassle. Filler up screw it into battery & vape away.
Simple battery. Ego or Kgo. I'm partial to Kgo myself. This voltage is just a tad higher & I think it's a better product. JMHO
Others will be along in time to get you totally confused. Haha

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
I would avoid the cart/atty’s. They tend to leak and be inconsistent. Aside from that the cart/atty's that usually come with kits are junk.

You’ll want more than 5 cartomizers. While a cartomizer may last you a week or so of refills, they are considered disposable. While easy to refill, it is very difficult to change flavors in a cartomizer and they’re difficult to clean. So consider a cartomizer a one flavor device. For experimentation with new flavors go with a dripping atomizer to see if you like it enough to commit a cartomizer to it.

I would start off with a Volt kit if you want a cigarette form factor, or if you want to go larger go with an eGo Twist variable voltage kit, a lava tube kit or a Kgo kit.

Last edited:

FlossBandit

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
North Carolina
An atomizer's not a bad investment for dripping. Put a couple of drops on it and see if the flavor's worth filling a cart with.

A cartomizer is just the atomizer (thing that cooks it) with some kind of fiber that holds liquid in it.
A clearomizer is basically the same thing, just the liquid travels up a wick.
A tank (not required but good) goes on the outside of a cartomizer that has a hole punched in it and feeds more liquid into the fabric... keeps it moist so it doesn't burn out as quickly.

Just wish somebody would have broken it down for me like that when I started.

I'd honestly try a few things out. E-cigs haven't exactly been a one and done for me. You screw up, waste liquid, and it takes a little trial and error even if you do your research to find the right thing. Eventually it gets cheaper and things work out. Good luck man.

flatom

Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Good advice. Thanks, y'all.

I'm leaning toward a kit with 2 eGo Twists batts, 1 at 650 and 1 at 1000 mah, 2 Crystal Vision cartomizers, and a USB charger. Thinking of adding a couple 5 packs of 510 Blank Boge cartomizers. Add juice and I'm good to go. Or am I missing something?

I think my wife would prefer the Volt for its smaller size.

TarFreeMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
Bellevue, NE

I'm leaning toward a kit with 2 eGo Twists batts, 1 at 650 and 1 at 1000 mah, 2 Crystal Vision cartomizers, and a USB charger. Thinking of adding a couple 5 packs of 510 Blank Boge cartomizers. Add juice and I'm good to go. Or am I missing something?

Congratulations first of all! I hope you find the same success that most of us have.

Seems like a good start, though I'd recommend more blank cartos.

For no muss, no fuss filling for your wife, you might check out the Vivi Nova tank. Simply unscrew the top cap, dump some juice in, put the top cap back on, and go. You'll probably get stuck cleaning it for her and changing the heads when needed but that's all really easy too. Heads seem to last quite a long time with proper upkeep. Over the past couple months I've only cooked one and that was due to my own mistake. They're also easy to recoil from what I've heard, but I haven't tried that yet. $2.50 a head is cheap enough for me at this point.

For finding the juices you will both enjoy, I recommend shopping several vendors and getting sample sizes. I won't pretend to know much about all the various vendors but I can tell you the ECBlend sells 5ml samples for $2.50 a piece. Finding the right juices and juice delivery systems will be a much bigger deal than finding working PVs, at least until the point if/when you decide to DIY juice.

Best advice: make sure you have backups for everything, including your backups. Making a trip to the gas station for a pack nastiness because it takes too long for a battery to charge is never a good thing!

You came to the right place to get answers to ALL questions you have about vaping.

zencatx

Aug 1, 2012
PA, USA
>I think my wife would prefer the Volt for its smaller size.

If either of you plan on vaping outside of home, you might appreciate a small unit that won't draw a lot of attention. People are naturally curious when you whip out a big and/or brightly colored battery ... nothing wrong with that of course, but most of the time I'd rather just vape quietly without being noticed. When I'm out and about I use a conservative looking Volt, but at home I go for size and color!!:D

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Welcome ! The ECF forum is great in that it's active and informative, keep checking in and let everyone know how y'all are doing ! As far as your comment "I don't mean to be an idiot", the only stupid question is the one you never ask. I've only been doing this for about 6 weeks, but the people here have been invaluable to me. I lead a very active lifestyle. My career can be long and demanding hours at times. I was advised to avoid cartos and try a bottom feed mod. I've had my REO mini for about a week now and absolutly love it ! Start simple, keep in touch and Don't Be Afraid To Ask ! Your lungs will love you for it !

SpicyMcHaggis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hamilton Ohio

That's a darn good start. Might want another Twist, they take about 3 hours to charge and you'll want to be vaping while waiting. ;) I'd get an atomizer to drip on to try juices like someone said. Sucks to just fill up a clearo then find out the juice tastes like wet dog. I'll second the Vivi Nova tanks as well. I have three and they rock. You might not like the taste of the carto's, I don't.

Some juice vendors I've tried and liked: Copper Creek, Alien Visions, Heather's Heavenly Vapes, Pure Vapes

I tried 10 flavors of ECBlends and only one of them was any good. Some folks swear by them though.

kia2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
USA
The Volt is - in my opinion - the best "starter" or "mini" cigarette look alike battery out there. It is 808 threaded, but has as good of life as possible for the size, and has plenty of accessories and bling that anyone could want. If your wife then decided to move up a little, the Volt X2 is the mid size battery in 650, 900, and 1300 sizes, come in all the same colors as the "mini" Volts, and still 808 threaded to still take all the Volt accessories. The added bonus of the X2 is that in addition to the 808 threading, it also has eGo threading (eGo, not 510), so many of the eGo accessories and tanks that you have acquired (and henceforth can be confiscated by your wife) can be used on the X2 as well. The Volt, both the regular 65mm and 78mm and the X2 batteries are all that I use; they got me off tobacco cigarettes, and I like them well enough that I don't feel any desire to go hunting for bigger and fancier and all my accessories are still usable.

Liquids are subjective to taste and no one vendor can produce all the best liquids. I've mostly used Smokeless Image liquids, I like 3 or 4 flavors very much, but I've got a big batch of samples coming from Vaper Dudes soon. I've also used ECBlendflavors.com but I only have a couple of flavors from them I like and only one of them is an all day vape. You'll have to explore liquids to find what you like.

Last edited:

super dave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
1 Mile High
Welcome flatom, I've used carto's, attys, carto tanks etc; The best Ive found for my wife and self is the vision clearomizer now upgraded to vision stardust 1.6ml rebuildable and changeable heads on an ego or other such 510 battery. The reason is easy to fill, no mess, easy to clean and they work great with a good juice, I side with the more PG liquid. You can up grade easily to something like a vari volt lava tube or suh for home use and the other to carry a long. As you will find everything is personal preference. Good luck on your experimenting and adventure. Vapeing is the only thing I have ever found that has finally got me off the cigs and I've tried a lot of things and I don't even like the analogs at all anymore the e liquid is even way better. Was a 40+ year smoker

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
Welcome to ECF and congrats on starting down the road to a smokefree life ;)

Everyone has their own 'favorite' method and equipment. Many many differences in various 'things to screw on a battery' :D

I never started on a cig lookalike, primarily because the last thing I wanted to look at was something that looked like a cig. I started on Ego's, I didn't want to mess around with short battery life, proprietary threading, etc. Kept me off the Blu wagon.

kia2 says Volt and if that's the form and size you want, from what I've read here, that's a good unit to go with.

I'm in the Variable Voltage camp these days and loving it, but then I've been doing this awhile. What you need to remember is you need to find what's right for 'you' and so does your wife. Having what suits you, being able to roll with it when something you bought isn't working they way you expect, finding good juices you love will keep you off cigs. I was a big fan of sample packs when I was still buying juice and I found a number I loved at very little effective cost. I used a dripping atomizer to try new stuff, no sense mucking up a carto for something that tasted like wet dog hair to me, etc.

Your taste buds will wake up fairly soon, and you need to understand what was good or bad for you at first hit may not still be good or bad from you then. Tastes change.

Most of all you need the patience and the fortitude to make mistakes, cause you will, we all did/do we are human beings.

Happy vaping to you both ;)

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
>I think my wife would prefer the Volt for its smaller size.

If either of you plan on vaping outside of home, you might appreciate a small unit that won't draw a lot of attention. People are naturally curious when you whip out a big and/or brightly colored battery ... nothing wrong with that of course, but most of the time I'd rather just vape quietly without being noticed. When I'm out and about I use a conservative looking Volt, but at home I go for size and color!!:D

I agree.
I'm constantly rotating between my Kgo, Twist and Volt. All give satisfying vapes.
I do tend to vape my Volt more in public though, and it is always in my pocket.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I have a Lady friend who bought the Volt cuz of its size. She LOVES it and 6 of her co-worker also purchased the Volt.
Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarettes | Wholesale Electronic Cigarettes | E-Cigarette | Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarette
15% discount on entire purchase Code: SIVOLT50
And after she receives the Volt post a pic here for a great freebie:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-your-freebie-faces-volt-smokeless-image.html
I don't own a Volt but SI prolly has the most loyal following and definitely the best customer satisfaction within the entire industry. Realize though that the Twist is a 510 threading and the Volt is an 808 threading- they use different threaded accessories.
Cheers and Good Luck.

CSH65

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2012
Maryland
I agree. I started with the Smoov cigarette style two weeks ago. It got me down to 6 cigarettes a day and after a week or so, I wasn't getting the hit that I needed. I upgraded to the Ego Twist 3 days ago and now I am down to 2 cigarettes a day. Also, I hated adding liquid to the cartomizers all the time. It was a pain, so the tank is working out really well for me. I expect to be smoke free by the weekend.

Allllllright_already!

Verified Member
Jul 23, 2012
Illinos
A cartomizer is just the atomizer (thing that cooks it) with some kind of fiber that holds liquid in it.
A clearomizer is basically the same thing, just the liquid travels up a wick.
A tank (not required but good) goes on the outside of a cartomizer that has a hole punched in it and feeds more liquid into the fabric... keeps it moist so it doesn't burn out as quickly.

That....is a beautifully simple and clear explanation! I think I'm finally getting it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread