Own a tobeco 28mm (26650) kayfun? Read this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinwheels

Oct 6, 2012
Boston
Hi all,
Well, I’m a dolt. I desperately wanted to get my tobeco kafun 26650 (28mm) down to a shorter size. There is no nano kit available for this as yet so I figured, well, just use the lower tank portion, stuff a bunch of fluff in it like a spheroid, that’ll work. And it did, quite well really – see my post on the “kayfoid” build.

But really what I wanted was a fully functioning kayfun – just shorter. Light dawned on marble forehead: Maybe the designers of this topper already had that in mind when they built it! Sure enough, all you need to do to cut this gigantic tank down to size is:

1) Take the top cap in hand. Remove the O ring that usually makes the seal inside the 510 channel. On the bottom face of the top cap (e.g. the side that contacts juice), you’ll note that there is a nubbin around the 510 hole – the O ring you just pulled out was inside that nubbin. Reverse it, so that the O ring is now on the outside of that nubbin. It is a little fiddly, but once you get it in place, push it all the way down as far as it goes. This is going to make a seal with the evaporation chamber.

2) Set aside: One of the two threaded stainless tank sections, the clear tank section, and the tube-like chimney portion of the evaporation chamber.

3) Coil and wick the deck as usual for you. Once wicked, screw down the evap chamber around the build – without the tube like chimney portion noted in 2.

4) Screw on the one stainless tank section.

5) Screw down the topcap and note how it makes a perfect seal with the evap chamber as you do.

6) Fill and vape your face off.

And here is the surprise: IMHO, set up this way, this thing outperforms my original svoemesto kayfuns. The resulting interior of the evaporation chamber is even smaller than normal – and the coil is *right* under your drip trip. The result is a vape that is the equal of a good sub ohm RDA… Warm to hot, thick, extremely flavorful vapor, even on a 1.2 ohm build (cotton). About half as tall as a stock 22mm kayfun, but it holds a tad more juice – just shy of 5 mils. Fantastic.

Clearly the designers must have had this in mind – but given that it comes with no instructions, it was up to us to figure this out!

Enjoy!
Steve.

smokinwheels

Oct 6, 2012
Boston
MrPink,

Don't we all wish! No, the reason this works is that tobeco scaled up the sizes of the tank portions (not just in diameter, but in height) -- while they left the evap chamber / chimney the same size as the original. If you try this on a 22mm kayfun, the top cap won't even begin to screw down -- the evap chamber will be too tall to allow it -- hence, a nano (or "drop") kit is required if you want a shorter 22mm kayfun.

Here's the thing -- if you own a 28mm mod to go with it, this tobeco is a must have, IMHO. Just be warned that the contact screws are crappy -- they don't want to catch the coil wires. Good news is, stock kayfun replacement screws fit it just fine and solve the problem. Other than that one little niggle, I think this thing is truly amazing, particular given the price! And I say that as an otherwise very loyal svoemesto guy.

--S.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Thanks for the tip.
I was trying to picture doing this in my head to a 22mm KFL and didnt think it would work.

pretty sure I have a spare parts bucket with extra terminal screws so I am not worried about it.

Just wish they made a 28mm in copper to match my Hades!

p.s.
what do you think the juice capacity is with your reduced configuration and did you adjust your build and wicking for it?

Last edited:

smokinwheels

Oct 6, 2012
Boston
MrP.,

A tad under 5 mils is completely full -- Aim for about 4 mils to leave a good air bubble. Relative to fully built mode (where you get the better part of 12 mils !) no noticeable difference in wicking behavior, really. Tightened up the draw by a *tiny* fraction and was rewarded with slightly better flavor. No dry hits... 7 wrap 28 gauge on 5/64th for right around 1 ohm, currently. Just enough cotton to touch the bottom of the build deck, no more -- and thin enough piece to pass through coil with just a little bit of resistance = best kayfun vape ever!

Oh, and do be warned if you are going to run it this way -- once assembled, the coil is very close to touching the top cap. So, no giant builds in this, and don't pull the coil too high above the build deck when spacing it over the air hole. Always check your ohms on this build before firing it to make sure the coil isn't shorting to the top cap! Just don't overdo it with dual monster coils and you should be fine. Also, keep an eye on that oring up top. It will *not* make direct contact with the coil or anything, but is probably receiving its fair share of heat. Be on the lookout to make sure it isn't degrading or anything -- could end up with nasties in it you don't want to be vaping. I've gone through a couple tanks on this build so far, o-ring seems just fine, and all is very (very) well!

benroy44

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Cortez Co.
Here it is with my Hades driper I think this setup works better than the full size unit 1.5ohm coil large glass Drip tip from fast tec

hades.jpg

Last edited:

smokinwheels

Oct 6, 2012
Boston
Benroy,

Looking good, indeed. Really looks like a dripper -- with a secret! Next chance I get, I'll post a picture of it with my super T simplicity 26500. Spot the hell on match!

And I must say, I agree, this thing performs *better* set up this way -- I think because the chamber size is shrunk down and the coil is so close to you. Honestly, it's the best kayfun style vape I have ever had. I think if I could figure out how to drill out the airhole, this thing would kick the crap out of most drippers -- it's close as is!

And verb -- give it a try and let us know your impressions, too!

--Steve.

smokinwheels

Oct 6, 2012
Boston
Cool to know that works -- twisted coils tend to be a bit on the bigger side and I would worry about shorting to the top cap -- sounds like it worked OK for you, though.

I will say the one negative I have discovered about this build -- I tend to get a bit more juice in the mouth than with my other kayfun setups. Not enough to dissuade me, but folks who try this might do better with a longer drip tip because the coil is so close to your mouth.

Oh, and I just tried a setup with the rayon wick. HOLY CRAP. This bumped the flavor up by at least 20 percent. Still haven't decided whether this is a safe option for me personally. I think for now I'll use it on special builds and not my all day vape. Do yourself a favor and read the whole rayon thread -- and decide whether or not you are cool with it *before* you try it -- because man, it will be very, very difficult to avoid using it once you've tasted just how good it really is. And you can actually see it work -- I tend to wet and sculpt my wicks to the deck before screwing on the evap chamber. When I use the rayon, I put a drop on the end of the wick and BAM, the liquid flies through the coil to the other end of the wick 2-3 times faster than cotton. This stuff does not absorb juice, it transports it like some kind of crazy ejuice conduit.

Hope your thumb is better -- been there a time or three myself.

--S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread