Status
Not open for further replies.

Trekie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
NM
Hi All -

I got my first mods on my birthday last year :p Shortly after - I bought spare batteries BUT some that I purchased ~for my favorite P16 ~ BUT I got to :toast: PIF the CR123's because they were to long.

It's time for me to order more batteries and wondered if I could get some recommendations? What has worked for your Super T's? What not to use? Where have you found Good OR Bad buys? service? inspiration LOL?

I ordered from so many different places that I cant remember where I purchased the 123's that didn't work. I will update if I run across them, but IF I remember right the long icr123's were black with flames on them (?Trustfire?)

Thanks so much! I searched some of this thread, but its a lot to read through - I don't know how to do trackbacks, but if a mod knows of other links that cover this that would be great!

Trekie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
NM
Thanks, that's what I have been using. They have been lasting about 8 to 10 weeks. Is that about what I should expect? What have other people noticed with the cheaper batteries ? What kind of shelf life do batteries seem to have before being put in use?

I agree about David's customer service. He has answered every email I have ever sent him! Hope you are off to a prosperous new year David! BUT please quit coming up with new temptations for me to buy LOL:vapor:

Last edited:

Trekie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
NM
That's what I thought too! Thought maybe I was just expecting too much out of them, but hoping not. I keep THREE PV's going all day. Each has two batteries that I rotate in use. I do vape a lot, but was hoping to get a little better than 8-10 weeks out of the most expensive battery out there. I am on the second set for all now, but first ones all went between 8 and 10 weeks. I figured if that's it I would probably get that with the cheaper ones???

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
That's what I thought too! Thought maybe I was just expecting too much out of them, but hoping not. I keep THREE PV's going all day. Each has two batteries that I rotate in use. I do vape a lot, but was hoping to get a little better than 8-10 weeks out of the most expensive battery out there. I am on the second set for all now, but first ones all went between 8 and 10 weeks. I figured if that's it I would probably get that with the cheaper ones???

OK... when the first set of them went bad (6 batteries in total)... how did they go bad? Would they not charge up or not hold a charge for as long? I'm wondering if my current set has been degrading slowly overtime and since I don't have any fresh ones to compare them to I haven't yet noticed :) I thought when IMRs degraded, you got shorter and shorter runtime and charge time but they still produced AMPs, whereas with ICRs, they loose the ability to provide AMPs.

So I'm curious, how did yours go bad?

Trekie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
NM
Yep that sounds exactly right. I never did really like the IMR's. But that's exactly how mine did too. I just don't want to buy another set of 123's that end up being too long for the P-16!

This looks like the ones I bought that were too long. Trustfire

sku_24980_1.jpg

Last edited:

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
No, I cant afford another mod right now. I was just wanting to know what other batteries others have used and liked in the P16 and the Super 6 so I can order more batteries.

The P16 was specifically built around the AW line of batteries. I've been using the same batteries as VaporMadness since May of last year and they are still going strong. The answer to your question is very simple: buy AW batteries from David and don't worry about it anymore.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
The P16 was specifically built around the AW line of batteries. I've been using the same batteries as VaporMadness since May of last year and they are still going strong. The answer to your question is very simple: buy AW batteries from David and don't worry about it anymore.

Thnx for chiming in VMan! Good to know that your AW IMRs are still going strong too. I don't know exactly how many charge/drain cycles I've put mine thru, but it's getting up there... say 2 a day since march... in the neighborhood of 600.

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
Wow... only 10 weeks? I've been using the same pair of AW16340IMRs since march and i'm not a light vaper. I've been considering getting a new set of them, but the two I've got are still working for me. My charger charges them to about 4.16v.

What causes you to get new ones that frequently?

If you are charing them to 4.16, you might be using the pila charger.

The other guy might be using a cheap charger and charging them a little too high. (prob tr-001 *trustfire/tenergy branded)

the pila charger can increase the life of the batterys because it stops the charge from going too high.

---You can NOT get rechargables to last forever, but you can extend the life considerably by treating them correctly.
check out batteryuniversity.com to learn more about batteries. (really good site every vaper should check out if you havn't already)

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
I need to get a couple of Pila chargers, but like VM, I've been using my WF-138 chargers for these batts too. They usually come of the charger between 4.21-4.23 which, from what I understand, is not ideal but it seems to have worked fine so far. I expected to replace my batts after maybe six months or so but they are on their 8th month right now without any noticeable drop in performance an run times and I use them with 1.5 ohm atties...

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Do you think maybe I have a charger problem?

Seems like a possibility. What voltage does your charger charge them too? If it's over 4.2v, I'd consider getting a new charger.

Also IMRs can be damaged/ruined by overdraining. I think if they get below ~2.5 (not sure of the exact level) they can be permanently damaged. Maybe that's happening to you?

Trekie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
NM
These are my first mods and I am still new to all of this. I don't have a tester. I have used only the charger provided by David. It says TrustFire Multifunctional Charger on i and the model is TR-001

Thank you for the Battery University info! Hopefully it will tell me what I need to buy; how and when I need to test the batteries; etc.

THANK YOU!!

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
The first thing I suggest is getting a DMM (Digital Multimeter). It's a must if you own a mod, IMO. You can pick one up at Radio Shack, Lowes.... You really don't even need an expensive one since you'll be using it just for testing voltage for your batteries and ohms for your atties. 10-20 bucks is all you need. Once you own a DMM, you will be able to check the voltage of your batts before and after you charge them to find out if you are over-draining them or over-charging them. Let's figure out if this is a user error or faulty equipment.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
The batteryU site was fascinating reading given my new found vaping hobby/habbit :)

OK - If I used this thing right, all of the charged batteries read from 4.16 to 4.19

Nice... that's a good level to have them charged to, getting above 4.2 is considered overcharged. But still begs the question... why/how are they not working for you after only 8 or 10 weeks... also sounds like you're armed and dangerous with coming to an answer to that question now... good luck with figuring it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread