Panasonic CGR18650CH 10A 2250mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a so-so 10A battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 5A-15A constant current. This cell was purchased by a friend from IMRBatteries and donated for testing. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have selected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bottom Line
    This is a 10A continuous discharge current (CDR) high capacity cell that is beat by the MH1, MJ1, and NCR18650GA. At 15A its voltage collapses. In my opinion you should not run it above 10A.

Test Results
    image.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A the discharge reached about 2025mAh. This is ok capacity for a 2250mAh-rated cell.
    • At 10A down to 3.2V this cell is beaten by the LG MH1, LG MJ1 and the NCR18650GA.
    • At 10A the cell reached 68°C, a moderate temperature for a 10A cell being run at its CDR.
    • At 15A the cell had a low maximum temperature of 69°C but this is only because the run time was so short. The voltage at 15A was very low and shows that the cell was being run well beyond its CDR.
    • An additional five cycles at 10A showed no signs of damage.
    • I am setting a CDR of 10A for this cell. I think you will get very good cycle life at 10A due to the low temperature at that current level. In my opinion you should not run this cell at above 10A.
    • To see how other batteries have tested and how hard you can safely push any of the batteries I have tested, check out the links in my signature.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread