Paranormal (Credit Card) Activity. Why/how did this happen??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambeck22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Hi, everyone. I don't know if this is an appropriate topic, but the credit card company was NO help at all and I'm confused. I received an e-mail from my credit card company that a payment was scheduled to my card in the amount of $500. It was made from my bank account. Now, I work nights and was in bed when this occurred. When I got up and checked my mail, there it was. I called the company and the payment is being processed, so they were no help. I have to call the bank tomorrow to do a stop payment thing which I'll be charged something like $35 to $50 for :(. Why would someone do this? My card was in my guy's wallet and we haven't used it in months. I don't keep my sign-in info or my card number on the computer or password saver/auto-complete thing specifically so this wouldn't happen. How would this benefit someone if they didn't have my card number? Also, they would need my credit card number and the website and my sign-in info to even make a payment from my bank account and then go wild with my card. I don't even have the site information written down anywhere. I guess I'm wanting to know the point of this other than driving me crazy and bringing me to tears. Thanks for reading, even if no insight.

ambeck22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Maybe I'm confused but certainly they should provide you with the source of the transaction (who initiated it). Don't panic yet...... sometimes genuine mistakes are made. If it is indeed fraud, you likely won't have to pay anything and you'll be issued a new card.

The credit card guy was NO help at all. He informed me the payment was made from my account, which I know. He couldn't tell me which city, country, state, or computer/address it was scheduled from. It's a very confusing situation, and the bank is supposed to get back to me in a couple of hours. I really, really appreciate your reply. I needed to vent. I still don't know the benefit of anyone doing this except it benefits the credit card company. Thank you.

DMF

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2010
Slower Lower Delaware
perhaps it was one number off when being logged in by the cashier? And it just so happened it was one number off yours?

If a person's card won't scan through the new card readers, cashier (or teller) has to punch the numbers in by hand.So its not really that far fetched and in the old days (pre scanner) if someone had a cracked card and you had to write the number in manually , transposing occurred often.

Last edited:

mightypirate

Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
virginia
I'm not sure what would cause it. I just got a charge to a credit card I haven't used since December (had a zero dollar balance). Some company called Swiss Clear or something similar. Thankfully it was only for $40 and the credit card company is going to send me an affadavit to sign saying i was a victim of fraud.

I'm a bit confused as to what happened? Was it a $500 payment from your bank account to pay off a balance on the card? I don't see a thief going to the hassle of fraud to pay off your credit card. I'd really argue with your bank about it, keep putting emphasis on the fact you're the victim of fraud and shouldn't be responsible for any fees incurred because of it. Be polite but firm.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

ambeck22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
I'm not sure what would cause it. I just got a charge to a credit card I haven't used since December (had a zero dollar balance). Some company called Swiss Clear or something similar. Thankfully it was only for $40 and the credit card company is going to send me an affadavit to sign saying i was a victim of fraud.

I'm a bit confused as to what happened? Was it a $500 payment from your bank account to pay off a balance on the card? I don't see a thief going to the hassle of fraud to pay off your credit card. I'd really argue with your bank about it, keep putting emphasis on the fact you're the victim of fraud and shouldn't be responsible for any fees incurred because of it. Be polite but firm.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

We're confused, as well. My credit card company has a website. I schedule payments there and it takes the payment from my bank account. Someone or something scheduled a payment to my credit card FROM my credit card account while I was sleeping, so I KNOW I didn't do it in any accidental way. The stressful and confusing part is WHY. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if this stunt hadn't put me in the hole until payday and the bank is standing firm on saying I'll be incurring an overdraft fee. All involved seem to only care if my card was lost or stolen. I don't know if I explained any better because it's a completely pointless and confusing thing that happened. Almost like a glitch, but I've heard nothing about that from the company.

Anyway, thank you everyone for responding. I may go to the bank and speak to someone in person to see about the fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread