Patches have caused death- PV's do not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstargoddess

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
While reading another thread, it got me thinking. There have been several cases where The Patch has leaked and ended up making someone seriously sick or killing them. Yet they are still allowed on the market.

At this point, I fail to see how when used properly, that a PV could be less safe than that. I know that not all patches have had that problem and that it's hopefully an isolated incident that they have fixed, but the fact still remains.

It may be an extreme look at the whole situation, but I think that we really do need to start comparing other Nicotine delivery methods with PVs.

laughterhouse

Aug 5, 2009
USA
PVs and smoking cessasion devices like patches and gum aren't very comparable because the former is a substitute to cigarettes, and the latter helps get rid of their nicotine dependence altogether.

The patch is used to wean somebody off of nicotine so they don't face withdrawal symptoms and it isn't something they will be using for a long time if it is successful. The point of PVs is a healthier replacement to cigarettes, but PVs are not nearly as effective in ridding of nicotine dependence as a pre-planned schedule of patches in tapered doses.

Can you provide a source for this nicotine patch death? I wouldn't be surprised if it was just some idiot who coated his body in them.

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
While reading another thread, it got me thinking. There have been several cases where The Patch has leaked and ended up making someone seriously sick or killing them. Yet they are still allowed on the market.

At this point, I fail to see how when used properly, that a PV could be less safe than that. I know that not all patches have had that problem and that it's hopefully an isolated incident that they have fixed, but the fact still remains.

It may be an extreme look at the whole situation, but I think that we really do need to start comparing other Nicotine delivery methods with PVs.

I feel obliged to play devil's advocate here.
I think a move toward less sensationalist headlines and responsible/accurate writing would do more to help our cause.
You state "Patches have caused death- PV's do not", but there are 2 gaping holes in that one statement:

1. You have offered absolutely no evidence to support your claim that patches have caused serious illness or death. Please cite your sources.

2. You have claimed that PVs do not cause death, again without any supporting evidence or statistics, other than the assumption we are obliged to make that you personally do not know of any. PVs and the substances involved in vaping do have the potential to cause death, but only if misused or abused, which could probably be said of a number of NRT substances as they all contain a potentially lethal poison.

We need to focus on promoting PVs as a safer alternative and the only way we can do that is by telling the truth, which means testing and publishing results that show them to be within reasonably acceptable boundaries. It is the authorities that will determine those boundaries, so it is to our benefit to work as closely as possible with them in order to have some input when regulations are being formed. There is far more chance of canvassing support if you are sat at a table with someone than there is by throwing bricks through their windows. That is not a sellout, it is a reality.
John.

heather

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Tulsa, OK
What do you think of this idea? My husband thinks that the best way to make good use of a PV is to do the whole step program with the patches while "smoking" the e-cig with 0mg nic juice. That way you don't have to worry about how much nic you are taking in, or poisoning yourself with the e-liquid.

I got a 510 a couple days ago, haven't used it much yet, but I am liking the possibilities.

My husband really wants me to do it his way. But, I am worried that it wont be the same as just smoking the nic liquid.And if I go on the patches I wouldn't be able to have an occasional anolog until I am comfortable with my new habit.

Ideas please and thanks

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Any method that prevents you some sucking destructive tobacco smoke into your lungs is good. But patches have their own problems -- ineffective and skin irritating, to name just two. Plus the expense.

Even though the World Health Organization won't endorse it, e-cigs can be used like any other step-down program. Start at about 11mg liquid and step down to 8mg, then 0mg. Take as long as you need between strength changes. If you feel the need for more nicotine, increase your dose for awhile, then try again.

Nothing wrong, per se, with patch and 0-nic e-smoking. But not much is gained that way.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ

tims

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
PA, USA
Sweating makes the nic come out faster, so if your sweating it's dumping more nic into your system, frezzing then heating will also dump much more nic.

The way they work is it releases so much at normal body temps, if your temps go up it lets more nic out, so when your wearing a patch. You would want to keep your self from over heating, and if you over heat for very long, take the patch off till you cool off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread