• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Patience !

Status
Not open for further replies.

proimage1

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
USA
Someone suggested this be added as a sticky - It might be encouraging to someone that has struggled like me !

The buzzard said as he was flying around for hours and could find nothing dead to eat
" Patience my a __ __, I'm gonna kill something "

I tell you this to tell you the following !

As seen on my sig, I've been smoke free for 40 days now. Wow, I never dreamed I would have ever made it this far. I smoked non stop for the past 43 years, a pack and a half a day - full strength reds. I quit one time for 30 days 25 years ago and thought I was gonna go completely out of my mind. Since then, if I even thought of the idea of quitting, I would start smoking even more. Needless to say I assumed I'd be smoking forever. That is, until I discovered the alternative of vaping and this great forum that has provided incredible support through a few tough weeks.

I quit on New Years Eve. My son that's in the Navy did the same. We both started vaping using the first e-cigs we found on the internet. No need in mentioning what kind or where they were purchased, but I can tell you we spent way to much and got very little for our money. The vendor is not one of our noted vendors here on the e-cig forum.

I've been chasing for that perfect device - both regular 3.7 and Mods, the perfect juice, and the perfect juice strength. I have spent way more than I've saved -- according to my sig, I've saved $545 and had I quit cold turkey and never started vaping - that would be true, however, at this point, I'm guessing I'm in the hole at least $500 ( still cheap considered my health I would say ). I spent this money in search of trying to find these PERFECT things I noted.

Up until just a few days ago - almost out of the blue - I honestly thought that I was never gonna get that perfect combination I was after. I was burning up atomizers left and right, mixing up every combination of e-juice, cruising the buy and sell forums, reading about every mod that comes out, JUST hoping to find the perfect one for me. The truth is - I've had the perfect ones the entire time - I just didn't have the patience to realize it.

We all know how hard quitting smoking is - harder for some than others. I would be in the harder than others category to the extreme I would say. I was constantly trying to satisfy my nicotine craving and trying to find a way to get that all illusive throat hit each and every time. I thought it just wasn't gonna happen for me. Like I mentioned I used 3.7, 5 volt, 6 volt, even 7.2 volt devices and each time I would think that this was gonna be the magic device to take care of all of this for me. Each time, I was disappointed. I would get a super 1st hit, then as quickly as it came the first time - the next one - almost nothing. I would usually burn up an atomizer by my impatience, or two, or three (one day last week I popped 3 in less than an hour !).

At any rate, a couple of days ago, I tried a different approach - I decided to slow down, calm down, relax, and just try and be patient. I cut back on the nic strength, mixed up a flavor that I liked, picked out what has become one of my favorite PV's, and without anything else, I'm getting exactly what I've been after.

This may not make any sense at all to some of you, but I have a feeling that it could be encouraging to some as well. If any of you are struggling with some of the same problems I mentioned, just try and hang in there and try and be patient, slow down, relax, find a device you like, an e-juice you like, and give it a little time -- it's gonna get better and before you know it, it'll all come together.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but I wanted to share what I've gone through for the past 40 days with hopes that it may help someone that's having a hard time. :) Also, thanks to everyone here on the forum that has encouraged myself and others during this transition from smoking to vaping !

proimage1

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
USA
Very good advice, Proimage1. The electronic cigarette is an excellent replacement for smoking, but it is not the same as smoking. Be patient, learn how to use it and you will be rewarded with an experience that is better than smoking.

You can't realize how bad of a time I was having. Every time I read about how great a certain mod was, or how great an e-juice was - I just had to try it knowing it would take care of my situation. Each and every time I was let down and had just started to think that it just wasn't gonna work in my case. I hadn't given up, but I was really discouraged. Honestly, it's really strange, but just a couple of days ago, I decided to quit fighting it so hard and just stop obsessing over the perfect cure and that's when everything came into it's own. Now, I'm experiencing exactly what I'd hoped for - even more, because I rarely have that insane urge to light up.

You are exactly right - there is no replacement for smoking real cigarettes. Whoever figured all that out way back must have been a border line genius, because there is so much more in a cigarette besides nicotine and smoke. The other chemicals MUST be just as addictive as the nicotine itself.

BUT, c-cigs do work. The support here is icing on the cake in my opinion, and the few times I almost caved - I would throw out my situation and within minutes I would have tons of folks here telling me to hang in there.

Patients is the key in my opinion. Just takes a little time - that old buzzard would have eventually found something to I guess ! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread