PBS Newshour-Segment on E-Cigarettes on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Big tobacco says closed-source nicotine delivery systems are safer than open source nicotine delivery systems.
Well, now, why would they make a crazy claim like that??
(Muu-ah-ah-ah-AH! One guess...)

Ah, so it's another one of those stories. :facepalm:

Reactions: Katya

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Oh, no... Please say it ain't so...

Whatever would give you that idea, my dear feathery friend? On PBS? :lol:

Twas hoping they had grown a spine. :cry: Did they say anything positive?

Hi Katya! :D Long time no see!

Edit!

Thanks for the heads up, just watched it, and it was pretty fair all around. I thought it was a well thought out piece that clearly laid out both sides of the story, and even revealed BT's motives.

Cool, thank you!

Reactions: Katya

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I thought it was pretty balanced. I'm always disappointed that all of vaping is presented with giant box mods and huge clouds. They did have a few older vapers who had been able to stop smoking.

Actually I don't find that a bad thing at all; might cut down on those wanting something "exactly like a cigarette" who are then told that while that's possible, it's not very satisfying. If they understand from the get-go that ACTUAL vaping requires something that isn't the least bit like a cigarette, they'll have more luck getting off the coffin nails using vaping.

Andria

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I'm not as concerned about potential vapers as I am with public opinion and legislation when it comes to media attention.
It makes BT's cigalike look like a replacement for smoking, and all the others look extreme. My out and about is an Eroll, just because they are more convenient and I can stealth vape.
I don't want to see ecigs included in smoking bans, but given the haze in that vape shop, I don't see us winning that one.
I just think the vaping community and products are much more diverse than what you will find in a vape shop.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Thank you for the link Four!

Not entirely sure what I think of it but at least it wasn't a complete whitewash. Not sure why these always have to have people blowing huge clouds. It was certainly far better than the vast majority of other TV stories on the subject.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Judas H. Preist, flick the damn HVAC switch for those vape shops to ON.

If I were vape clueless John Q. Public and saw those fog banks inside, I'd probably think, That can't be good.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Seriously I have yet to walk into a vape shop and not been fogged out, worse now then it was say 2 years ago because of all of the cloud chasing. I just went into a new to me vape shop with my DIL and when we opened the door you could barely see through the clouds, she is a smoker and it was making her gag, once we got back outside she said the same as you about needing a ventilation system on. I admit it was nauseating being in there and we left pretty quickly.

I think the PBS report was one of the better ones I have seen, they did present a flash of each side/view which is refreshing. It also reiterates the FDA is going to be acting soon.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Soo... they quote two discredited studies, and one study that shows sketchy-looking mouse lungs and mentions unspecified "free radicals," and then proceed to the "save the children" mantra. Gummy Bears and Strawberry Cheesecake... Not one word about studies showing that vapor and vaping are a much, much healthier alternative to smoking--not a single study mentioned for our side of the argument. They didn't ask any serious vaping advocates, like Bill Godshall, or people with medical degrees, for instance--former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Carmona or Dr. Farsalinos or Burstyn come to mind... They chose a BT spokesman, a former bull rider and a "recovering addict," and former snow cone truck owners to represent the vaping industry. :facepalm:

Yup. Fair and balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread