Status
Not open for further replies.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Just got done etching my new board. Now i get to see if i can solder 16 pads in a 4mm x 4mm space. If you never hear from me again it means i more then likely went blind.
IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Very nice etch Java. Like the artwork!

Some traces look a little close.......like to the left of the little blue rectangle. But they lead to the same connection. IDK, but it looks real cool. What did ya use? How did ya transfer? (Got that laser, huh?). Detail came out real fine tho. Not copper, or is it tinned? You tinned it? Details plz!

Got the real small drill bits yet? Dremel makes some.

Last edited:

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Thanks Atty ,
It is just bare copper right now not tinned yet. I think the light i used to take the picture and the fact it was rubbed down with steel wool to get the oxidation off makes it look silvery. I used toner transfer method Then etched it in a H2o2 and muriatic acid bath. It is a optical with the traces if you look straight down on it they have plenty of space. I used some really thick copper clad board for this cause it is getting the 10 amp evercool regulator slapped on it. I think thats why it looks so close together at a angle. Now i just got to solder on that chip next to the dime on the right. It is the battery charging IC. I hope it goes well thats going to be a fun job.

#70 is the smallest drill bit i have. I use a #68 and #60 on the board. Not my first board, had some thermal issues with the first board it used a bigger charging IC that is rated at twice the thermal watts as the first one. But it was twice as big so it was easier to solder. I could have maybe made it work by cutting down the charge amps but i am greedy i want the full amps out of the charger.

Last edited:

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Yes etching is very nice and easy too
love it not to have any wires and just make a design that i can put out of the box. easy to clean

My design will have some wires in there too but it does keep it to a minimum. Really no way around using a PCB when you use a 4x4mm QFN IC. The evercool chip you might can get away with it but it is really tight between pins. Really the reason i decided to make my own PCB was i didnt want to have to bend the pins on the ptr80100w to fit a strip board.

Etching is for sure the easy part. Figuring out how to make a double sided board to line up perfectly was a bit harder. Toughest part for me was learning the circuit design CAD software. It is easy to use now but there was a learning curve at first.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Cool looking board Java, and I see the motivation with the 80100w. Even with a 2mm pin pitch DIP socket in between, there's bending and the chip doesn't go in all the way. If you would make a generic 1.7mm pcb board 6x5 hole, I would be quite interested. Heck, I only need 4 rows.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Cool looking board Java, and I see the motivation with the 80100w. Even with a 2mm pin pitch DIP socket in between, there's bending and the chip doesn't go in all the way. If you would make a generic 1.7mm pcb board 6x5 hole, I would be quite interested. Heck, I only need 4 rows.

I will design a generic circuit for the chip and release it as open source hardware. Then anyone can make one with a laser printer , hot iron and etching solution. Just need a common parts list to whip it up.

Wow Java, that is fantastic, wish I knew how.
Now that would be awesome in a clear box.

Pretty easy to do Breakthru tons of stuff about it on youtube.
Shhhhhh dont tell anyone but clear might be a option for it.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
I will design a generic circuit for the chip and release it as open source hardware. Then anyone can make one with a laser printer , hot iron and etching solution. Just need a common parts list to whip it up.

Heh, now you tell me. I just spent the better part of 4 days getting an evercool circuit done. The chip is plug n play though so if you do put it up I just may take you up on your offer. Not sure if I want to add etching supplies to my modding mess, but I'll cross that bridge when we come to it :)

SurvivorMcGyver

Ol' Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
PCB in a box, a bottle of Hydrogen peroxide and muriatic acid, Good ventilation, a good DARK laser printer, a laminator, a plastic tub, a dremel drill press (or better), a few bits and your in, asdaq :) All availble at Digikey 'cept the Peroxide, the Acid and the tub (not sure abotut the drill press but they have bits). Then add the PCB software (try Express PCB (as long as it's not for commercial production or you use their PCB fab services I think you're OK)

Any other links you have for folks might be helpful Java_Az.

BTW - NICE BOARD!

Last edited:

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Or you could try one of these :)

Maybe someday i will beable to afford a 3 axis CNC Router, but for sure today is not the day. Lots of cool things you can do with them PCB boards is just one of them.

Really not much i can add as far as links. There are a ton of CAD programs out there. I use Linux so i went with Geda. 100% free No fees to export gerbers. The libraries are not huge but making your own footprints is not too tough. gEDA Project's Homepage Runs Great on Mint Linux 10. H2O2 and muriatic acid is what i use because it is easy to dispose of. It is not considered hazardous waste so you can just dilute it with water and pour it down a drain. H2O2 ( hydrogen peroxide) is very common. Muriatic acid can be got at any pool supply store. Not really much i can add i didn't source one place for info i sourced out a ton of them looked at all the different methods and went with what i thought would be best( cheapest).

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Wow when you get that all set up and tested lemme know and ill buy, awesome work
Thanks Icingdeth
Well it was tested and worked but i had thermal issues with the linear charger. These chips thermally regulate themselfs so when it was charging and got hot the output current would drop. Anything over 80 degrees ambient and it would drop to an out of around a ego charger which i found unacceptable. So i have scrapped this design and charge chip and now am going with a switching 2 amp charger. The eagle made it onto the new design but thats about it. So far the new design is working great after 2 charges.
Not sure if i am going to be selling these . Friends and family will be getting some, but i guess it really depends on if anyone wants what i am making after i am done with it. So basiacly i am not going to quit my day job unless the demand is high enough.

Todd Mulske

Moved On
Nov 8, 2011
This is incredible. I just checked the tools out for doing etched boards and came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to try it because I would just make a mess of it. Very talented stuff here, beyond professional.

Just got done etching my new board. Now i get to see if i can solder 16 pads in a 4mm x 4mm space. If you never hear from me again it means i more then likely went blind.
IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread