Pegasus Vapor Academy Type B 15A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...rated it 15A, probably a 30Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 5A-25A constant current and 10A-60A pulsed. These cells were purchased by me for the purposes of testing thanks to the wonderful donations from so many of you. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A note regarding pegasus Vapor Academy cells
    If you're reading this, these cells are not for you. These are for beginning vapers who don't know there aren't any 18650's rated above 30A. These are for shops who can now trust the batteries they are selling and easily show their customers which battery is best without watching their customer's eyes glaze over.

I've seen many people complaining about the price of the PVA batteries and saying that the cells used by PVA can be bought for less. I agree, they can be. But you know that those cells exist and where to buy them. For a new vaper, whose mind is already reeling from all the available choices of mod, tank, juice, etc., not having to learn about batteries would be very welcome news indeed. And the PVA cells cost less than a lot of other "vaping" cells being sold.

I have nothing to do with PVA or these cells. I just think they're a good idea and that there is room in the market for them.

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is a very good and underrated cell. Its appearance is identical to the 15A Samsung 30Q. Its performance is essentially the same as the 30Q.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Comments
    • At 5A it reached about 2750mAh. This is about average performance for a 3000mAh-rated cell at 5A.
    • At 10A the maximum temperature reached 54°C. This is significantly below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 15A the temperature rose to 70°C. This is a few degrees below the average for a cell operating at its CDR and indicates we're still below its rated current level.
    • At 20A the temperature rose to 85°C. This is three degrees above my upper limit for a cell operating at its CDR and indicates we're just past its rated current level. I am giving it a CDR of 19A.
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 99°C. This is way above the upper limit for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • Another two discharges at 20A and again at 25A showed no damage to the cell.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderstrat

Nov 28, 2015
    aston,pa
    hello,as usual GREAT stuff.But a question ,in the graph thats V vs Min,whats the reason for the upside down v shape that the min V caused by the pulse (60a)creates?One would think it would be linear but the batt seems to get stronger in the middle of its discharge curve.Is this a case of the battery holding V better as it warms up slightly?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    hello,as usual GREAT stuff.But a question ,in the graph thats V vs Min,whats the reason for the upside down v shape that the min V caused by the pulse (60a)creates?One would think it would be linear but the batt seems to get stronger in the middle of its discharge curve.Is this a case of the battery holding V better as it warms up slightly?

Exactly.
    As the cell heats up the efficiency of the chemical reactions increase and that reduces the overall internal resistance of the cell. Lower internal resistance = less voltage sag under load.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    thanks.I noticed the 18650 users dont seem to talk much about IR.where as the rc guys using lipo are fanatical about IR.Guys will send batts back if they dont like the Ir of a battery and they monitor IR constantly during the life of the battery
    Back when mech mods were the big thing IR was discussed quite a lot :)

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread