Pennsylvania Call to Action: Oppose the Governor's unjustifiable 40% wholesale tax on Vapor Products and Smokeless Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
CASAA has issued a Call to Action for Pennsylvania, where Governor Tom Wolf’s proposed budget for FY 2016 would enact a 40% wholesale tax on both vapor products and smokeless tobacco. This is certainly not the first time that Pennsylvania has sought to enact a tax on smokeless tobacco, and thanks to the tireless efforts of Bill Godshall of Smokefree Pennsylvania, it has been defeated every time. This year, Governor Wolf is adding e-cigarettes to the mix and hopes to raise $80+ million.

The PA Budget process does not require the state to hold public hearings. If PA residents hope to offer input on items in this proposal, they should take this opportunity to reach out to lawmakers.

Please take action NOW and send a message to your PA Assemblymember.

In addition to sending a fully editable, pre-written email, please also make a call to your assemblymember.
Oppose Vapor taxes in PA - Make a Call

Link to Call to Action: CASAA: Pennsylvania Call to Action: Oppose the Governor's unjustifiable 40% wholesale tax on Vapor Products and Smokeless Tobacco.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.

(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Last edited by a moderator:

scratchtheweasel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2014
Pocono PA
The prewritten email for this CTA mentions Ohio instead of Pennsylvania. I'm not sure if this is easy to fix at this point, but I wanted to point it out in case there's something that can be done about it.

"Increasing their purchase price will only serve to encourage Ohio’s two million-plus adult smokers to continue smoking instead of making the switch to products that are estimated to be 99% less hazardous than cigarettes."

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I don't see that when I click the link :blink:

This is what I see:
PA Governor Tom Wolf’s proposed budget for FY 2016 would enact a 40% wholesale tax on both vapor products and smokeless tobacco. This is certainly not the first time that Pennsylvania has sought to enact a tax on smokeless tobacco, and thanks to the tireless efforts of Bill Godshall of Smokefree Pennsylvania, it has been defeated every time. This year, Governor Wolf is adding e-cigarettes to the mix and hopes to raise $80+ million.

The PA Budget process does not require the state to hold public hearings. If PA residents hope to offer input on items in this proposal, they should take this opportunity to reach out to lawmakers.

Please take action NOW and send a message to your PA Assemblymember.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Thanks for the heads up on the mention of "Ohio"--we fixed that shortly after the CTA was released. It's frustrating when something like that slips by us, but when the Calls to Action are coming fast and furious, I suppose it's inevitable that we'll miss something on the odd occasion.

To give folks a status on the CTA, we have 2,756 CASAA members who live in Pennsylvania, 1,376 of whom have sent emails and 9 of whom have made a phone call. This is a pretty phenomenal response rate of nearly 50%. Now, to put this in some context, most organizations would be thrilled to pieces with a response rate of 5%. Our typical response rate is 10%.

Take a bow, Pennsylvania . . . but don't rest on your laurels . . . share the CTA and get others to participate. And for heaven's sake, pick up the darned phone and make a call: Call an Official

TheJester

Jan 26, 2015
Delaware
Thanks for letting me know about this. Just sent a message!

Edit - I added something similar to my message. I stated how punishing people who are being proactive for their health damages workers and students financially. Whereas smoking causes more illness and illness hurts the economy. etc etc yadda yadda yadda

Last edited:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Update - 07.09.15

Although the PA State Assembly passed a budget bill in June that did not include a damaging tax on vapor products, the budget was promptly vetoed by Governor Wolf. As a result, the assembly will return to budget negotiations in order to hammer out an acceptable plan. These meetings could begin as soon as next week (week of 7/13).

In advance of the budget talks, it is vitally important that Pennsylvania vapers and tobacco harm reduction advocates take a moment to express a bit of gratitude to lawmakers for passing the initial bill that did not impose a tax on vapor products.

Please take a moment now to send a fully editable, pre-written thank you letter to your Pennsylvania lawmakers. Please also include your personal story about how switching to low-risk, smoke-free alternatives like e-cigarettes and snus has changed your life. If you need a little inspiration, please visit our testimonials project. And if you haven’t already submitted your story, please take a moment to add it to our collection. Personal stories are incredibly powerful and help legislators understand why we are so passionate about ensuring that vapor products remain accessible, affordable, and effective.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread