Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Hi all, I guess I need to vent a little and and see if anyone has any advice for me. I was just diagnosed with periodontal disease and went in for a scaling and root planing today. A truly awful experience, the short of it is, my gums are shot. My teeth are perfect, white and cavity free but I have advanced gum disease with pockets of 7mm. I'm pretty freaked about losing my teeth.
Well, I told the dentist that I have not smoked in a year and a half but am currently vaping. The Dentist has no idea about e cigs and how they really work/ingrediances etc..... and I understand that, but he told me that I will loose my teeth if I continue to vape. His words "nicotine destroys your cardiovascular system, which in turn ruins your gums" I tried to explain that I am only using extremely low nic levels between 4-6 on a regular basis, and I am not burning any substances that really hurt me cardiovascularly or the other chemicals that also contribute to the disease.. I also explained that the amount of nic I use is also for treating my depression, anxiety and add. He said it doesn't matter, "I will loose my teeth no matter how much nicotine I use" And said to quit vaping ASAP!

Well the fact of the situation is....I don't fully agree with him that that amount of nic will hurt me to the degree he says it will, and I have NO intention of stopping vaping at this point in my life....I simply WON'T/CANT

I quess I'm feeling a little scared and very much angry about this. Does anyone have experience with this disease and what has your dentist said about vaping?

I know your not doctors but I'd really like some other oppnions and maybe a little reassurance :)

On a side note. I had one of those nifty finger oxygen monitors on and my oxygen level was at 99 the entire time, previously to quitting smoking my oxygen level was always between 95-96 :) so I must be doing something right.....

Thanks bunches everyone
Nina

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I've had periodontal disease for about 10 yrs now. I had some wearing away of my jaw bone from it, wherein they did the surgery where they cut the gums and add to the jaw bone and clean the roots real good, then stitch them back. Actually, it sounds so much worse than it is and was not that bad to deal with. I have continued to go every 3 months for deep root cleaning and am just so used to it that it doesn't bother me. My periodontist told me that it was good that I used the electronic cigarette when I told him I finally quit smoking. That was about a year ago. He said that the carbon monoxide produced from analogs causes your gums to get tough and sinewy, and that it may take me a couple years before my gums get softer and pinker as they should from not smoking. I could be remembering wrong but I could swear he said it was the carbon monoxide produced from analogs that messed up your gums the most, and vaping produces carbon dioxide so that should be good. Anyhow, you can google and research it. I have in the past but it's been awhile. All I know is my periodontist was very happy I quit analogs and am vaping now :) Best of luck and just keep your appts and things should be fine with your teeth. It's alot better than losing all your teeth like my ex-husband who had to get 16 teeth pulled at the same time because he had such severe gum disease and never did anything about it, and now he wears dentures.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I understand. I was shook up over it too. The surgery was not bad really at all even though it sounds terrible. I did one quarter of my mouth at a time and maybe took pain pills the first 2 or 3 days, but it wasn't severe pain. I guess it depends on how much pain you have experienced in your past and I've experienced some pretty severe pain to compare it too. LOL. If you don't take care of it, your teeth will get real loose and wiggly and they will have to pull them because the gums will not stick to the base of your teeth and will recede alot. Once I had the surgery, it has slightly progressed over the years in a couple areas and I was told I may need to do one small section by a couple teeth again, which is nothing really. I do have one tooth where the gum has receded alot and they said they can do a skin graft if I want to for cosmetic reasons, but I told them to just leave it because you can't notice it that much. Like I said, it's only been a year since I've been vaping so I don't know that I can say it's slowed it, but I know it definitely helps. Your teeth are important so just keep your cleaning appts and you should be just fine. It does take some work to go every 3 months but it's not a biggy.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Also, you can have gum disease/periodontal disease even though you have beautiful and healthy teeth. Mine was caused from my orthodontist when I was a child actually. I had overcrowded teeth on the top and they pulled two teeth and stretched them out with braces. Apparently, it loosened the gums to my upper teeth too much which caused me to start to get bacteria under my gums, thus the gum disease. You would never know I had the problem by looking at my teeth though. I found out there were problems when I started getting absesses in my gums.

bruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
Louisville, KY
I also see a periodontist. Had the surgery years ago. Get the deep cleaning every three months. The doc is supportive of the e cig. We tried an experiment with toothpaste. For one three month period, I used Biotene. For the next three months I used Colgate Total Gum Defense. Results: don't use Biotene. The Colgate is much, much better. He also had another patient use Crest and then Colgate. Colgate won again.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I don't have periodontal disease, but my dentist thinks it's great that I quit smoking and vape. He wanted a demonstration, which I did in the chair. His assistant went out and called in all the girls to watch me vape. Everyone was impressed and I was a little embarrassed at the attention, but they all know me by name when I walk in the door anyway after 30 years of being a patient.

The dentist did some Googling and AMA study and pronounced his evaluation to be correct. The dental hygenist who cleans my teeth told me my gums looked great ... all pink and oxygenated. She said that they can always spot smokers because their gums are a gray tinted pink shade. Pink is good.

I'd at least get a second opinion before I took my periodontal dentist's initial response for truth. What does your primary dentist say about it?

Last edited:

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I also see a periodontist. Had the surgery years ago. Get the deep cleaning every three months. The doc is supportive of the e cig. We tried an experiment with toothpaste. For one three month period, I used Biotene. For the next three months I used Colgate Total Gum Defense. Results: don't use Biotene. The Colgate is much, much better. He also had another patient use Crest and then Colgate. Colgate won again.

Yes, I've tried Biotene and didn't like it. I have been using Sensodyne and like it alot. My teeth are still very sensitive at the base near the gums and alot of other toothpastes hurt me. My periodontist said I'm like rare with my sensitivity but I can't help it. I have to use warm water to rinse my mouth and I have over the years learned a way to drink cold drinks without it touching my upper teeth. LOL. I spent many months drinking through a straw but now I sort of hold my tongue up to the roof of my mouth and cover my gums and base of my upper teeth when I drink cold drinks. I know it sounds weird but I'm so used to it now that I don't even notice I'm doing it. But yea, Beans, periodontal disease is NOT the end of the world if you catch it in time and keep up with routine cleanings.

DrOckW

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Colorado
As to the Nicotine comment and cardiovascular disorders I would site the preliminary results from Dr Farsalinos who states that his results indicate a lack of reaction to vaping. This indicates that Nicotine is not he cause of vascular issues, but the countless other known toxins in cigarettes.

I also site research from CASAA indicating that oral tobacco use does in fact reduce the risk of oral cancers when compared to smoking.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...moking-interview-vapeteam-show-wednesday.html

Last edited:

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana

Thank you bruiser, Im very happy to hear your perio supports your vaping and Im assuming your on a good steady course with your disease. It makes me feel better about my decision to think for myself and get other opinions. Odd but the dentist
gave me a full size tube of Burts Bees tooth paste he said he bought just for me. I have no Idea if it's bennifical or not. Good luck :)

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
i have it. the hygienist was tickled i switched to vaping. get a new dentist:2c:

I'm thinking I should, to be honest, my teeth look great but this is the first time I've been to the dentist in 22 years and prior to that id only had 5 childhood visits. This guy my husband found, specializes in chickens like myself :oops: After some researching I think I need a real periodontist.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
I don't have periodontal disease, but my dentist thinks it's great that I quit smoking and vape. He wanted a demonstration, which I did in the chair. His assistant went out and called in all the girls to watch me vape. Everyone was impressed and I was a little embarrassed at the attention, but they all know me by name when I walk in the door anyway after 30 years of being a patient.

The dentist did some Googling and AMA study and pronounced his evaluation to be correct. The dental hygenist who cleans my teeth told me my gums looked great ... all pink and oxygenated. She said that they can always spot smokers because their gums are a gray tinted pink shade. Pink is good.

I'd at least get a second opinion before I took my periodontal dentist's initial response for truth. What does your primary dentist say about it?

I'm so happy to hear that Dave, and happy you don't have it :).
Yes this Dentist was well meaning but I could tell he has no real idea of the difference between burning tobacco and nicotine it's self. Unfortunately I have no other dentist at this point, but I'm planning on finishing this procedure in a few weeks, healing then seeking a second opinion.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
As to the Nicotine comment and cardiovascular disorders I would site the preliminary results from Dr Farsalinos who states that his results indicate a lack of reaction to vaping. This indicates that Nicotine is not he cause of vascular issues, but the countless other known toxins in cigarettes.

I also site research from CASAA indicating that oral tobacco use does in fact reduce the risk of oral cancers when compared to smoking.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...moking-interview-vapeteam-show-wednesday.html

Thank you for that link, as I understood too, nicotine itself has some reaction but the majority is from other chemicals and burning matter. I tried to have an intelligent conversation about it but he shut me down with the he knows better than me bit. So yes, I will wait for more research and find another dentist :)

PSS sorry for the multiple posts but with my damn iPad I can't reply to multiple posts at once.....Sorry :)

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Yes, I've tried Biotene and didn't like it. I have been using Sensodyne and like it alot. My teeth are still very sensitive at the base near the gums and alot of other toothpastes hurt me. My periodontist said I'm like rare with my sensitivity but I can't help it. I have to use warm water to rinse my mouth and I have over the years learned a way to drink cold drinks without it touching my upper teeth. LOL. I spent many months drinking through a straw but now I sort of hold my tongue up to the roof of my mouth and cover my gums and base of my upper teeth when I drink cold drinks. I know it sounds weird but I'm so used to it now that I don't even notice I'm doing it. But yea, Beans, periodontal disease i
s NOT the end of the world if you catch it in time and keep up with routine cleanings.

Lol, yep in the last 2 months I have mastered drinking and only letting the cold fluid touch the upper right area of my mouth. Hopefully I did catch it in time but I tell ya I have never F-B-I'd so many damn times in a day till now.....I think my ADD has a new hobby :D

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I don't think it came up with my dentist but my hygienist was happy and said things looked better and she wondered what the change was. And that was only after vaping for a couple months.

But I don't have gum issues, my dentist won't pull my teeth because my gums are too good. Give the lack of care and things I've done to my mouth I'd assume my gums are unstoppable. I think a lot of it is genetics, my problem is bad enamel.

I can tell you my roommate had that and had some teeth pulled. He never quit smoking and it's totally better after many years of keeping up with care and the visits. I think he had the deep cleaning twice and only had the first batch of teeth pulled.
My roommate's brother had it and did nothing, his teeth basically fell out at home.

Your dentist sounds like an anti-nicotine quit or die type.

I have panic disorder so my dentist keeps me with Xanax. He wanted to put me off until my next cleaning last time I was out so I showed him, I needed a root canal a week later. :)

I tried to have an intelligent conversation about it but he shut me down with the he knows better than me bit.

That alone would be enough to have me looking elsewhere. I hope you find one as down to earth and good as mine.

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
I'mt thinking I should, to be honest, my teeth look great but this is the first time I've been to the dentist in 22 years and prior to that id only had 5 childhood visits. This guy my husband found, specializes in chickens like myself :oops: After some researching I think I need a real periodontist.
I didn't go for a long time. Hence the periodontal disease :facepalm: i don't think a periodoontist is essential. I have had to resign myself to the fact I will always have to go every three months. I pop a 800mg ibuprophen and she gives me something to swish that numbs every thing. The depth of the pockets can decrease if you floss and do the 4 visits a year

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I was told by a young new dentist that I needed a deep cleaning (not for periodontal disease but because I used to be a smoker). Keep in mind, that he's all for BP and told me that Chantix was the best way to quit nicotine. Yes that was his statement...to quit nicotine. I replied that I had no intentions of quitting nicotine and there was no way I would ever consider using Chantix. That's when he said I needed a deep cleaning....hmmmm...scare tactic? Didn't work with me. That was the one and only time I went to him. 6 months later, I got a call and he wanted to know when I was going to setup the appointment. Needless to say, I won't repeat the assripping I gave him. I informed him that I went to 2 more dentist's who said that I didn't need it...even using nicotine (yes, I did get 2 other opinions). I then told him not to bother calling back and hung up. That was over a year ago. My new dentist is all for not smoking, but if you need nic, then use an e-cig. If I were you, I would get a second opinion before proceeding any further with this dentist you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread