Permanently Dye a White Silicone Sleeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Why not try heating up the dye in the microwave, nice and hot, and then dropping the sleeve into the hot goo? That's how it's done with clothes and such, hot dye penetrates better.

Good idea. But I don't have a microwave right now. I did think about heating it in a small saucepan in the stove. I might try that later.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Permanent ink marker (with a wide tip)? Wear gloves...

My experience with permanent marker is that it's not really permanent in a situation where it's handled a lot, unless the surface very porous like paper/cardboard.

that said, I'm actually OK with a dye job not lasting forever (and I expect that), but what I don't want is it coming off on my hands.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2012
    Irwin, Pennsylvania
    Not very dark (expected) but also very inconsistent.

jE19EC0.jpg
    The inconsistent spots may be due to finger prints (oils). You may want to try cleaning first wearing gloves. I'm not sure what you could clean with to remove hand oils, etc. that would not mess with the dye.

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The inconsistent spots may be due to finger prints (oils). You may want to try cleaning first wearing gloves. I'm not sure what you could clean with to remove hand oils, etc. that would not mess with the dye.

Good point. Next time I take it out to check it I may wash it well with soap and rinse well before I put it back (because I'm almost 100% sure I'm gonna be putting it back in again).

ls2erin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2013
    Did a little more searching and I read on a site that hair dye may be the best bet, however it has to be a "permanent" hair dye. But there was no proof of this technique actually working.

Permanent black hair dye tends to only dye hair black. Everything else ends up dark brown from my experience.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Alright. So 8 days later. I forgot about it :D.

Got darker. As you can see, the top of it wasn't submerged so it's still lighter as it was in the last pic. I'm actually glad this happened because I can easily see how much darker it got.

As you can see, the coverage seems more consistent. In fact, in real life it looks a lot more consistent than it looks in the picture. Very permanent. Doesn't seem to be able to be rubbed off.

Something to note is that it has taken on a rubber smell. Not really strong, but it's there. I smelled the other ones (bought in a multi-pack) and they have no smell at all.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet but I'm thinking just another round of soaking in the dye the same exact way, except this time I'm going to wash it with dish soap really well.

HhsrU9a.jpg

8 days ago...

jE19EC0.jpg

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Well the sleeve dried and I put it back in the dye. Had to add a little more dye so that it could be fully submerged again. The rubber smell didn't wash out with the soap. And I smelled the dye, it's not that dye. I guess it's a reaction between the dye and the silicone.

Probably leave this in for over a week this time. Maybe 2 weeks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread