Status
Not open for further replies.

GLBrocks

May 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I find that I am adjusting more to taste in voltage settings. I have dabbled with wattage settings on my Vamo, but it tends to come back to voltage 99% of the time. I was just wondering what people were thinking about when it came to wattage versus voltage? I tend to be a voltage person over a wattage person. Can someone explain what they like more and maybe change my thoughts?

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
.5w increments are pretty close to .1v increments, but with VV the adjustment is a bit more fine, for example:

For wattage there are 25 total available settings, for voltage there are 31 (assuming your standard 3v-6v 3w-15w chip)

I usually use wattage when using carto tanks as 10w with cartos is my sweet spot, when using rebuildables I switch to voltage so I can fine tune a bit more. Plus, in wattage mode you can't get as much power as you can in voltage mode, using LR stuff.

For example, a 1.5ohm coil set at 15 watts is only delivering 4.7v. If you switch to voltage mode, you could turn to the voltage up to 5.5v for example, and get around 20watts, and still be well under the amp limit of the device. This type of power is only possible in dual-battery configuration, with a single battery the voltage increase will flatten out a lot sooner.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I am all for variable wattage devices. However, I have said it before and I will say it again: I find people who absolutely have to have and go on about variable wattage ignorant and annoying. You know the ones I am talking about.

Nope. Haven't seen 'em ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread