[Personal Thoughts] Vaporesso Aurora Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
Hello, dear friends, I hope you’re all doing well. Today I want to share with you one review of one of my most desired devices to this day: the vaporesso Aurora Play. This device was sent to me by @Vaporesso_Chelsea, to whom I’m very grateful, and was intensely used during the last two weeks. So, as any review is not neutral, my short disclaimer and presentation of me and my preferences, then what I think are its “cons”, its “pros”, and my final thoughts about it.

Disclaimer

Every stuff analysis are subjective and will ever be. As my objective here is to fully accept that and just share my thoughts about vaping gear I buy or receive, nothing more logical than present my vaping experience, my personal preferences and my targets when I vape. In that way I expect all of you, fellow friends and readers, will know exactly from what point this analysis is coming, and what I generally expect when I try a new device, since this expectation will always have an impact in my verdict. Please have this in mind when you read the following lines!

Who’s writing?

I'm a very recent vaper. Although my first experience was some years ago with a CE5 cartomizer and an eGo battery, it was a complete disaster and lasted only few weeks. Why? Because I was never a smoker. I'm essentially a hobbyist. For me, a good vaping experience has to have good taste and some good looking clouds. Not a lot, necessarily. But some good looking ones. Flavour, on the other side, is the boss. It needs to be great, or you'll have no deal with me. Gadget design matters, too. Technical and design innovation are warmly welcomed. And autonomy is a very important thing, too. I don't vape nicotine in any form - no need at all. Knowing all these personal interests any more experienced vaper will know well why a CE5 cartridge would never satisfy me. A brand new Vaporesso Revenger X kit bought last January, 2019, in Berlin, did it. And now I'm here to give you my thoughts about the Vaporesso Aurora Play, sent to me by @Vaporesso_Chelsea (thanks Chelsea!). What’s my opinion about it? Let’s divide it in the classic “cons” and “pros”, than my final verdict.

cópia de IMG_4203.jpg

CONS

- Leaks. I couldn’t find any reports about this issue in any of the reviews I read or watched, but the fact simply put is: mine leaked. Not once. Not twice. But a lot of times. And with both pods that came in the package. For me that’s the worse problem a vaper can face with a new device, and unfortunately I found it with this one. Just under the pods. I even tried to change my juices, thinking this issue could relate with the VG/PG ratio (tried 70/30, 60/40 and 50/50). No luck. That’s not the case of being unable to use it, but that certainly annoyed me a little bit. Big con, for me.

cópia de IMG_4202.jpg

- Impossible to do stealth vape. For two reasons. First, this is a “start conversation” device. Simply impossible to use it between friends without receive quick questions about it. Yes, it’s different and, for me, gorgeous. Second reason is because it makes too much vapor – which I like, actually. Don’t get me wrong, as I’ll write later this is an awesome MTL device. But a MTL device that produces sufficient vapor to make stealth vape impossible. For me, that’s a good thing. For people looking to discrete vaping, it isn’t. Moderate con.

- Not very portable. It’s tiny, no doubt for that, but compared to another pod systems it isn’t quite enough. My Breeze 2, for example, is tinier than that. Same for my Orion. The Zero appears to be more portable, too. That’s a choice obviously made with design in mind, but its size and weight won’t allow it to forget it is in your pocket. Unimportant con, it’s simply a personal note.

- Two-steps to vape. Another unimportant con due to design. That’s a fact here: you can’t just sack your Aurora and vape it. You need to open it, first. I never thought this would be a problem, but as I used it a lot in some days, even for chain vaping, I found myself a little bothered by it. As said, very unimportant con, simply a personal note.

cópia de IMG_4199.jpg

- Lack of airflow control. Let’s put it clear, the Aurora Play is a MTL device. A very restrictive and satisfactory MTL device. But some form of airflow control wouldn’t be out of place, here. And I think there’s room for it in this design. For me, personally, it would make all the experience more enjoyable, since I prefer more airy vaping. I think that would be the same for another people. Moderate con.

cópia de IMG_4201.jpg

PROS

- Flavor. Yeah, this thing has a very good flavor. Really liked it. Some complex juices simply shines here. I prefer juicy flavors, but dessert juices make some great flavors in this device as well. A big pro, here.

- Battery life. One day of moderate vaping easily. For chain vaping, you’ll need to recharge it by lunch time. This is not a very tiny device (as I wrote above), but compensates it in this spec. Recharge time is very good, too. 30 minutes and probably you’ll be good to go for the rest of the day. Big pro.

- Build quality. That’s a Vaporesso device. Nothing more need to be said. It’s very well built, completely in metal – which I love – and feels very solid on hand. A little bit heavy but, hey, I said it’s all-metal built. No rattles. No loose parts. Simply perfect in this regard. Big pro.

- Tight airflow. If you like good, restricted MTL vape so, well, this device is for you. With its 1.3Ohm pod it offers a proper MTL experience, tight and flavorful. I, actually, like more airy vape (that’s the reason I pointed the lack of AF control as a con, above). It’s a little bit difficult to find a proper MTL pod system these days, so this has to be a big con.

- Refill system. Innovative. That’s the kind of new technology I really like in this industry, the ones that effectively can change it forever. You just press your bottle in the hole and voilá! No need to care about leaks during the process. Quick and clean. Perfect. And if your juice comes in a dropper, no problem. The package includes a bottle perfectly suited for the system. Big and much welcomed pro.

cópia de IMG_4200.jpg

- Wattage options very well calibrated. Cool, warm and warmer. It could seems like an unimportant thing, but I really struggled to find the perfect match with my Orion DNA, for example. Not with this device. Maybe it’s just my personal preference, but needs to be, at least, a moderate pro.

- Package. Complete. Extra pod, extra bottle, well-built USB cable... and that’s it. Again, it can look like a very unimportant thing, but the number of devices in the market which don’t offer even an extra pod or coil is increasing. So, another pro for Vaporesso, a moderate one.

cópia de IMG_4204.jpg

CON? PRO? DIFFICULT TO SAY...

Design. This device is all about design, at the end. It’s Zippo-like attitude is unique, and made me want it since the first time I saw its images and photos. I really wanted one Aurora Play because of its design. But now, with it at hands... I don’t know. It is gorgeous, no doubt. It is unique, no one can deny it. But is this design worth of its compromises? When opened, its lid simply doesn’t fit well on hand. It feels as something which is left over. Not a good feeling at all, as pointed for almost all reviewers. When closed, this very same lid represents one more step between user and vapor, which can annoy at times. I still think Vaporesso made it right in choosing this design. The new pod systems are getting all the same changing only brands, and that cannot be a good thing. I still consider the Aurora Play one of most innovative designs out there, but does it paid itself? I would probably answer “yes”, but I’m not sure about it. So, I’d rather keep this question open.

cópia de IMG_4198.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Aurora Play is not for everyone. Its innovative and unique design make it one of the most distinctive devices out there but, at same time, poses compromises some people could not tolerate. For me, personally, it is a gorgeous device with a very restrictive MTL. As I prefer more airy vape, I really missed some kind of AF control. Besides that, my unit presented a recurrent leak issue that no one reviewer found. Despite this, I really enjoyed my Aurora Play and left it in my car, a place where I spend great part of my days. If you like innovative devices and restrictive vaping, I can’t recommend this device enough. For the other side, if you prefer airy vape and more conventional designs, then Aurora Play is not for you. Price for this product is USD 30 on most sites.

Thanks for reading, flavorful clouds for everybody!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread