Petition: Democratic (or ex-Dem) voters to Democratic Party: STOP THAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Good reply.

Explaining his vote against the bill, Democratic State Representative Art Staed said HF 2109 "bans the sale of e-cigarettes with nicotine for minors under 18 years but created a new group of products, including e-cigarettes, that do not require permits, are not taxed and can be purchased by anyone, of any age."

Yup. Taxes are missing. That seems to be a common complaint and it was successful in getting PACT passed.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
Someone just pointed out on Facebook that the FDA has said nicotine is not especially addictive.

" The changes that FDA is allowing to these labels reflect the fact that although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence."

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
IMO, the ECF is not very liberal. I think the petition needs to get out among more left leaning groups. As far as I can tell, when the subject does come up most dems do not support bans against ecigs - just the politicans are. It's a top down movement and unfortunatley, one that directly affects very few ppl. It's not that they don't care, it's they don't have enough of the facts to care. This is a public relations and media war.

I'd like to understand more about the tobacco tax settlements - most ppl don't realize they were sold off for a one time payment and now those projected earnings are owed - so the fact smoking has decreased is adding to states budget deficits, i.e. states gambled that smoking would increase, have a stake in their citizens getting sicker from smoking. No wonder they want taxes increased. That makess states and big tobacco corporations strange bedfellows indeed.

I think a few letters to the editors explaining the economics of smoking over vaping would create some headlines. I'm not that good of a writer/reasearcher to pull something together but I've seen a few in ECF that are.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I don't bump this enough, and I'm currently out of the country, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can do more learning how to put this out there better.
I am NOT asking conservatives to sign this, I'm asking folks who are not in tune with this petition to talk to whoever you ARE in tune with. Your local cities, medical groups, first responders, anybody who is being misinformed and needs to understand that they should take our side.

So thanks for those who have signed, thanks for those that bump, thanks for those that will sign. I'll want guidance how to get this to more liberal venues when I get home, but you can post those here if you know of one. I don't quite get how to "join" some of these groups.

I think we need more "insider-to-insider" communication in both political and professional groups. Doctors, please send the AMA a nastygram, pulmonologists, please beat up the American Lung Association, journalists, BOY do you have some messages to get out, both to colleagues and to the public. FOLLOW THE MONEY, if you're a journalist!

I'm talking to engineers, but until a PV come out with a phone and camera included, they're just bored by the topic.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I'm talking to engineers, but until a PV come out with a phone and camera included, they're just bored by the topic.

LOL! But true with most non-smokers as well. That's a problem with top-down movements. I posted a link to another group "IMPROOF" that's got an excellent campaign started and could get some traction, IMO. It pops right up in Google.

Even though I'm next door to Calif. I'm finding out that a lot of local vapers aren't taking these bans very seriously. "It can't happen here" or something. I'm not really sure what they are thinking. I suspect a number of b&m stores think a ban on internet sales will improve their business, so they aren't even alarmed. I suspect that helps to set the tone.

There was a recent special on CNBC w/ Colorado & (censored) herb. There were a number of shots plus interview showing ego "pens". They interviewed customers pointing out they weren't tie-dyed hippies but professionals. Then the show focused on the campaign that changed the attitudes; they said it was safer and better than beer/alcohol. Did rally's on capitol steps, etc. to get news to show up. It's going to be a billion dollar buisness this year. 100's millions in state taxes.

Even ANTZ admits ecigs are better than cigs. Vaping industry can use/alter all those same arguements. The messages were short and easy to remember. Even a non smoker can see that it's not good for states to rely on tobacco taxes and to keep ppl smoking. That's an unhealthy alliance. I think that makes more sense on the local level.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I cant sign this since Ive never voted Democrat a day in my life, but I did pass it along to fellow vapers in Virginia.

We could all be in big trouble with Ken Cuccinelli losing his bid for Governor. He's the AG who wrote the EXCELLENT opinion that e-cigarettes dont produce smoke, therefore arent included in State bans on cigarettes. For those interested, you can find it here.

A lot of our freedoms in Va are due to him and I'm extremely apprehensive about what McCauliffe will do given his close association with Bloomberg and others who think we arent all adult enough to make our own decisions.

**Just wanted to add that it takes a tremendous amount of courage and personal character to do what youre doing Berylanna. From one cowboy (at heart) to another I salute you.

Last edited:

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
@zapped:
Now what on earth does voting Democrat have to do with signing the petition?
Heck I am from Germany, and I signed it. To me, it is more like "Hey, you guys are not doing yourselves a favor! Get your facts right please!" - And I think that anybody can sign the petition and point that out to them. Even some vaping lady from Germany :D

**Just wanted to add that it takes a tremendous amount of courage and personal character to do what youre doing Berylanna. From one cowboy (at heart) to another I salute you.

I second that! :thumbs:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
@zapped:
Now what on earth does voting Democrat have to do with signing the petition?
Heck I am from Germany, and I signed it. To me, it is more like "Hey, you guys are not doing yourselves a favor! Get your facts right please!" - And I think that anybody can sign the petition and point that out to them. Even some vaping lady from Germany :D
I second that! :thumbs:

The title for this thread and presumably the petition as well is "Democratic or ex-Dem voters to Democratic Party: STOP THAT, anjaffm

For me to sign that would be unethical and against my principles. You're free to do whatever you like of course.

Last edited:

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
The title for this thread and presumably the petition as well is "Democratic or ex-Dem voters to Democratic Party: STOP THAT, anjaffm
Uhm.. now that is one weird title :) Did you have that in your computer memory, by any chance?
Oh and I do not care. When there is a petition / activity to support vaping, I am all for it. Heck, a lot of nice people from the US signed our petition in Europe, to the EU. So, why not repay the favor?

You're free to do whatever you like of course.

I most certainly will. :)

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I cant sign this since Ive never voted Democrat a day in my life, but I did pass it along to fellow vapers in Virginia.

We could all be in big trouble with Ken Cuccinelli losing his bid for Governor. He's the AG who wrote the EXCELLENT opinion that e-cigarettes dont produce smoke, therefore arent included in State bans on cigarettes. For those interested, you can find it here.

A lot of our freedoms in Va are due to him and I'm extremely apprehensive about what McCauliffe will do given his close association with Bloomberg and others who think we arent all adult enough to make our own decisions.

It is so sad about Cuccinellis" loss to McAuliffe. He needed more money and more Republican voters to turn out. Certainly all VA. vapors should have turned out to vote. He is a good man and hopefully he will run and win another time. I think after 4 years of McAuliffe,he should win in a landslide. McAuliffe is really in Virginia to help H.Clinton in her Presidential bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread