PG free juice and my first attempt at e-liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSteph

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
California, USA
I just did my first attempt at DIY e-liquid. This is the process I used: Simmered 2 bags of green tea in 1 cup of water. added the contents of 4 cigarette tobacco, filtered out solids, and reduced to 10ml. I took a sample of 3ml, added 2ml Glycerin (humco from walmart) and .5ml vodka (was curious to see if it would have any effect)
so far i can say the taste is very mellow. not a whole lot of flavor. however, the hit is really smooth which is what i was hoping for. it seems i have a sensitivity to PG so thats why i made this liquid. As for nicotine content, I can't say exactly, probably around 4-5mg/ml. i concentrated everything by putting it in an open jar on a cup warmer, it took about a day for it all to evap, but that was my only option due to certian circumstances.
The other question is if there is any known PG free juices?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Steph, both PG and VG are humectants, and, if the vapor coats the back of your throat, can create a sore throat by drying it out. Suck hard candies, drink some honey-type liquid, anything to keep the throat moist. And, yes, glycerine is super sweet. That's why I like it, in fact. The aftertaste is great -- if you have a sweet tooth.

SuperSteph

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
California, USA
Well, It took a while but I'm finally getting some flavor, though it's just the flavor of the tobacco. good flavor though, tastes very much like the donor cigs, although very mild. I need a better way to get Nicotine, I've tried mixing some of this juice with the marl juice and i still get that very harsh hit. I thinned it out some more by adding 1ml of the base juice, and .5ml of vanilla extract. I think viscosity is an important factor, the vaping is inconsistant. The hit is very mild, very smooth. just need to find a way to determine the nic content and i'm all set.
Bob: it's either the PG or another ingredient that is burning my throat. i don't have a real way to test yet.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
The flavors of so many e-liquids are so wimpish that sucking a hard candy actually helps from a taste standpoint. Peppermint mimics menthol. Nips for coffee flavor. Etc. They might help the burning in the throat. I don't really appreciate that throat hit, and prefer something like RY4, which I find quite smooth.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
As TropicalBob said, the burning may derive from drying out. I think that all e-smokers woke up after the first day of happy vaping wondering what happened to their throats. After that, I followed the suggestions in this forum, and drank water before going to bed (and even gargled for a couple of nights). After a few days, I apparently got used to the whole thing and had no further problems. VG would have the same effect as PG, I believe.

SuperSteph

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
California, USA
it's curious though i still get the slight smell of tobacco. i'm sure i extracted a lot of the essential oils to so i think thats giving the smell. what happens if i get the water boiling? i know the essential oils will evaporate but will the flavors still be there?
I'm also trying to seperate the solids more by putting the juice in a syringe, and letting the contents settle then squease them out the bottom. it may take a couple days for it to settle, i think i need a centerfuge.

SuperSteph

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
California, USA
I've found that higher VG= more vapor, but i think it makes the solution too thick if you add too much, impeding on the capilary action of the fibers. so the end result is more vapor, but you need to top off the cart more often. thats at least, in my experience. it will dillute the flavor so if you're gonna mix it with some other juice, i'd recommend adding more flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread