Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunjji

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
home.comcast.net
Hey Experts,

After almost 2 mos as a vapor'er and DIY'er, I never really noticed that Glycerin and Propylene Glycol are two different things. I was hoping some of you could shed some light on them as for mixing and preference ect. I see some ppl have reactions to PG and prefer to sway towards VG.

I understand that VG is sweeter? and produces more vapor? (added question marks in case I'm wrong):D

Thanks for your time.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Hey Experts,

After almost 2 mos as a vapor'er and DIY'er, I never really noticed that Glycerin and Propylene Glycol are two different things. I was hoping some of you could shed some light on them as for mixing and preference ect. I see some ppl have reactions to PG and prefer to sway towards VG.

I understand that VG is sweeter? and produces more vapor? (added question marks in case I'm wrong):D

Thanks for your time.

You are correct, VG is sweeter, thicker, and produces more vapor. I am one of those PG-reaction people. Dried me out and upset my stomach. PG does have a rep for better flavor and TH, though. I only DIY, and my juices are VG, VG-nic juice, 15% distilled water, 10% flavor. Love them.

Oh, and additionally, glycerine and VG (vegetable glycerin) are the same in principle. VG means it is glycerin made from vegetable sources only, such as the biofuel industry. Glycerin itself is the compound, but it can be made from animal fats, vegetable oils, or synthetically. I have noted a taste difference between glycerin labeled as just "USP glycerin" and one labeled "Vegetable glycerin" (I use Heritage brand, Whole Foods groc store). I prefer that one. Its that 0.5% the is not glycerin that can make the difference in taste. In a pinch, CVS glycerin would be ok for me, but I prefer the Heritage VG. Many here use Now brand VG.

USP PG is propylene glycol, and is the same across the board, as far as I know. I don't use it, don't like the taste and other effects, but as long as it says USP PG, and you like PG (many here do), it should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread