Status
Not open for further replies.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
I had that issue sometimes when I used high% VG juices. It wasn't a harsh hit, exactly the opposite as a matter of fact, but it just tickled my lungs, or at least that's how I describe it. Of course everybodys affected by things differently though. What juice ratios were you vaping before the coughing?

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
It could be any of:
PG
VG
particular flavorings

Different people have sensitivities to any of the above, unfortunately, same as sensitivity to PG or flavorings used in other products.

To isolate it you could try a 100% PG eliquid, a 100% VG eliquid (or just vape a little Glycerin USP Skin Protectant, $5 for 6 ounces at a rite aid or CVS, cut with a little distilled water -- it's near the bandaids, a clear, squat, bottle, and ingredients should only state glycerin 99.5%), an another mixed eliquid, but with different flavorings.

Some people end up not being able to handle more than a couple % of either PG or VG (usually sensitive to just one of those two), or have to avoid certain flavorings (and/or some just have to use eliquids made with organic flavorings).

If you are absolutely new to vaping, part of it could also just be technique. For vaping, try to do a first partial inhale, into just the mouth and throat, then finish inhaling plain air. Kind of like cigs,, your body wiwll adapt to inhaling eliquid vapor, just like when you first smoked you likely coughed.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
You can also get a harsh throat hit just from the nicotine, if it's a high nic eliquid. It's a "peppery" taste and tickles the back of the throat.

You could just try adding some plain VG (that Glycerin USP I mentioned before) added to the eliquid. That will cut the nicotine level, and the relative PG %, though unfortunately also cut the flavor. If you have a spare eliquid bottle, use that for your testing -- put a little of the eliquid in, add a bit of the Glycerin USP, shake and try it. Start by adding say 1 ml of plain VG to 5 ml of the eliquid.

Ask at the Rite Aid or CVS for a small oral syringe (no needle on them) -- they may well give it to you free at the pharmacy desk, else get one for babies, about $1 or so, pharmacist will be able to tell you where to find it. Use the syringe to add the VG to the bottle with eliquid. If the added VG does the trick, it won't have really isolated the problem other than to let you know it isn't VG related, but it would let you use the eliquid.

jenmurray116

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Northern NJ
I'm having the same problem - actually, I find myself taking really tiny inhales so I don't cough. But, I've only tried two juices (butterscotch and orange creamsicle, both 70%/30%) and it's worse with the butterscotch, so it might be flavoring for me, though I'm not sure. It's not enough to deter me but it is kind of annoying. :?:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
It's not necessary to inhale as deeply as when you smoked cigarettes. You aren't absorbing all of the nicotine in your lungs as you did with cigarettes. Open your mouth when you inhale so you also inhale some air. Drink lots of water or try throat lozenges. Cilia is coming back to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread