PG, VG, Phlegm, Congestion, Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
OK so here goes....

Since i've switched to Ecigs and DIY liquid, i've ran into some questions that i dont really know where to ask about it, hope this is the better of places to ask...

I thought that i would have less of the mucas and morning build up than i did with cigarettes, but it's not really the case. it's still there just a bit different.

My question is... maybe it's the VG i'm using adding to it... i'm using about 20-30% VG in my mixes. I've tried the Aqua VG from TW, and Straight USP VG. Maybe it's the ratio of it that might be adding to it. I've tried a mix with NO VG and the vaper was just sad. Whats odd to me is i can get away with a less nicotine juice and a little VG compared to a PG with more nicotine with no nicotine...

Does anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's just me... maybe i just haven't cleared it all out from the years of smoking. Maybe it's the changing of the seasons.

Any Ideas?

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
My sinuses are clearer but I have noticed that phelm is produced from PG and VG.
At least for me it has. I have been off analogs more than 6 months.
I seem to have a lot of phelm but also depends on the juice im vaping.
Seems to be some flavors more than others. So Im not sure if its the flavorings or the PG/VG content.

This is vapor and not smoke, so it doesnt metabolize like smoke would.
Kind of like un-burnt combustion. :)

I dont think VG or PG makes any difference. IMO

PS. I have noticed to that I seem to have much less vaping at 5 and 6v than at 3.7!

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
PG is hygroscopic, which means that it attracts and absorbs moisture. VG is a humectant, which means that it helps retain moisture. With either one, you have the chance of pulling in and retaining more moisture in your lungs (and sinuses, too). I don't that either one could be *causing* your problem, but both will *contribute* to it - possibly pushing your body over the edge to a point where you notice.

You may benefit from something like guaifenesin (Mucinex, and an ingredient in cough syrups like Robitussin DM), which increases the volume and reduces the viscosity of airway secretions. Guaifenesin makes coughing more productive and makes it easier to bring up and expel mucus.

Note that I'm not a doctor, just someone familiar with Mucinex and one who has a tendency to thoroughly research things I ingest. Use at your own risk. But I think you'll appreciate the heck out of it, from what you're saying. Considering that you recently stopped smoking, and started inhaling hygroscopic humectants, well, it makes sense to me that Mucinex would be extremely beneficial.

blacksheepfoto

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2009
I noticed that my morning throat boogers (sorry, couldn't resist) are significantly less than when I smoked analogs. I still wake up with a tiny bit of mucus but I think this is more to do with the fan I use at night. I can't sleep without it, and it is pointed directly at me. If I do not sleep directly in front of a fan, no problem.

However having switched from PG to VG for the first time, I find VG harsher than the PG liquid I had. I can tell before going to bed after vaping all night, just a bit more or a scratchy throat feeling from it.

My sinuses are still not as clear as I would like, but MUCH better. I think I've developed dust allergies over the years which is probably the primary cause now.

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
Awesome information scottes, i've taken mucinex before but didn't think about taking it, and will try it soon. I think i'm going to try to cut down the VG to something a lot less like 5% and see what happens too meanwhile. Which if i can get used to not seeing much vapor come out when i exhale while smoking an ecig then I'll be better off... and it's MUCH harder to stealth vape when you get a giant cloud. Hopefully I don't get all cranky from the nicotine cravings haha :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread