Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
I was wondering if you DIY experts have played with PG/VG mix in regards to the dreaded dry feeling and dehydration. I have noticed this more than ever lately, about the time I started to mix my own. To keep things similar to the Halo liquids I used to vape, I have been mixing at 75%PG and 25%VG which is what most think Halo's proprietary mix is or thereabouts. I know that I am not allergic to PG or I would have had issues when I started vaping almost six months ago.

Has anybody noticed an improvement with dry mouth/tongue when reducing PG content to, say, 50/50? I know that this may make my flavors taste more subdued, but I can always add more. And I have heard of folks adding water or even saline to their mix. Anybody have any experience with this? Other than this issue, the switch to DIY had been great. Any knowledge with my concerns would be much appreciated. :vapor: -Johnny

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
I've never considered adding saline. I've read that some do, usually those that use little to no PG. Wish someone would explain why, I don't understand the reasoning behind it, although someone mentioned taste.

I started mixing at 75/25 but have since dropped to 60/40 and even 50/50. My reason for it was to reduce throat hit, which I don't like. I stay dehydrated due to medical issues to begin with and drink lots of water and gatorade. I haven't seen any change as far as dehydration, but with other contributing factors, I doubt I will. I know my lips stay chapped and I keep the lip balm people in business. :)

As far as higher VG dulling your flavors, I can taste very little whether it's 75% PG or 50% PG, no change for me. Almost 6 weeks off the analogs and I still can't taste anything to speak of. :( Sure hope that gets better.

If you're noticing it more recently, could it be because it's winter and the furnace is pumping? I'm always dryer in the winter.

Just my :2c:

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I was wondering if you DIY experts have played with PG/VG mix in regards to the dreaded dry feeling and dehydration. I have noticed this more than ever lately, about the time I started to mix my own. To keep things similar to the Halo liquids I used to vape, I have been mixing at 75%PG and 25%VG which is what most think Halo's proprietary mix is or thereabouts. I know that I am not allergic to PG or I would have had issues when I started vaping almost six months ago.

Has anybody noticed an improvement with dry mouth/tongue when reducing PG content to, say, 50/50? I know that this may make my flavors taste more subdued, but I can always add more. And I have heard of folks adding water or even saline to their mix. Anybody have any experience with this? Other than this issue, the switch to DIY had been great. Any knowledge with my concerns would be much appreciated. :vapor: -Johnny

It could be a couple of things.
1. I know how dry it gets in Michigan during the winter (I'm coming back in a couple of weeks, by the way)
2. I know once I started DIY, I actually vaped more because I like it better. I've also had to drop my Nic from 18mg/ml to between 12-15mg/ml (been mostly at 12 lately)

Not sure if Halo adds Saline to their mixes and whether it would actually do any good. I mostly hear/read drink plenty of water to combat dehydration while vaping and out here in Arizona that's something I already do. ;)

Cheers,
Steve

Edit I've also changed my ratio to between 60PG 40VG to 40PG 60 VG (mostly at 50/50)

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I do 65vg/35pg and found that helps but as I am a chain vaper it still drys out my sinuses and gives me a scratchy throat by bed time. I can tolorate that but in bed I'll get this feeling like pins are stuck in my throat which causes me to hack like crazy. This is what I'm trying to eliminate or at least reduce. I've been following that for mentioned thread and use of saline or a 10% baking soda solution is susposed to lower PH, mosturize and smooth out the vape.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I know your familiar with yourself during winter dryness. If I use anything over 15% it drys me out terribly unless it's really humid outside.

Yes I understand what your saying. It's not unusual to experience a drier vape in winter then in summer as humidity is very low. But the issues I'm trying to resolve are as prevalent in summer as in winter. It's an issue I've been battling ever since I started vaping.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Yes I have and although it was a little better it still irritated. I also missed the throat hit that PG gives. I really think PH has a lot to do with it and am trying to get a handle on this whole PH thing. At this time I'm just trying to get as much info on this before I start experimenting with the whole saline, baking soda, PH strips thing. Right now I'm at 35pg/65vg/14mg and this is good. What I did find out last night (and this sounds crazy) but I took a 1/4 tea spoon of olive oil (yes I know disgusting) before bed and for the first time in a long time I had no dry mouth, caughing, hacking or that feeling of pins caught in my throat.

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
I took a 1/4 tea spoon of olive oil (yes I know disgusting) before bed and for the first time in a long time I had no dry mouth, caughing, hacking or that feeling of pins caught in my throat.

Spoonful of honey, a trick moms use for hacking kids to get to sleep, and definitely more tasty than oil.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Nope! Still hacked after I went to bed. Had to get up and take the olive oil. that worked. I just got the Neilmed sinus rinse which is a pure sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate with no other additives or preservitives I just mixed up a 3.5% solution and about to give it a go on 2 of my ADV's.

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Yes I have and although it was a little better it still irritated. I also missed the throat hit that PG gives. I really think PH has a lot to do with it and am trying to get a handle on this whole PH thing. At this time I'm just trying to get as much info on this before I start experimenting with the whole saline, baking soda, PH strips thing. Right now I'm at 35pg/65vg/14mg and this is good. What I did find out last night (and this sounds crazy) but I took a 1/4 tea spoon of olive oil (yes I know disgusting) before bed and for the first time in a long time I had no dry mouth, caughing, hacking or that feeling of pins caught in my throat.

Danny, maybe it is the flavor you are using? Do you get this with unflavored VG-nic too? Some flavors will do this to me. And also, I keep my flavors to about 5% or less, in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread