PG/VG ratios and the relationship to leaky pods

Status
Not open for further replies.

quadrupleipa

Jun 14, 2018
Looking for something of a stealthy vape but tiring of the muted tastes and limited juice capabilities a cartomizer (Halo G6) could hold, I bought a smok Infinix. I've seen it (and more generally smok) trashed a lot on forums. But it has a lot of properties I am looking for:

1. It is an open system. (I don't want to be constrained by Juul's flavors.)
2. As a former smoker, I find it is just cig-a-like enough (with its long shape) but cig-a-different enough (with its rectangular shape) that it's helping me to dissociate my nic habit from sucking on a cylindrical tube.
3. It can handle high VG juices (I am using it with 70VG/30PG with no problem, no dry hits, and only 1 episode of spitback in three days of moderate use.)

During use, condensation builds up around the base. I've seen a fair amount of discussion of this. It seems all of the vapor does not channel up through the chimney (is that the right word? maybe?), and some condenses on the metallic base. I've accepted this is nearly inevitable, and I be sure to wipe the bottom of the pod off a few times a day.

What is less acceptable is I found that a half-full pod I had in a drawer leaked about 10% of its contents over the course of three days of non-use. Another pod, which was also half-full, showed no leakage. The leaky pod had 60PG/40VG liquid. The dry pod had 70VG/30PG liquid.

Is this a sign that:
A. The thicker VG liquid, although not handleable by some pod system, is actually less leak prone if the pod system can handle it?
B. Some pods are worse than others. I've seen some rumors that the 2 pods that come with kits are actually a different form from the 3 pods that come in replacement packs (with those replacement pack pods being a new design that is less leaky)
C. Probably somehow my fault. (e.g., Plug not as well sealed as I thought).
D. Smok products are crap and inconsistent and I should run.

If this issue is inevitable, can anyone suggest an alternate pod system that matches the three criteria laid out above (1-3)?

Many thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
In the Infinix, I usually use Mr Salt E which I think is 60:40 and I've never had a leak. So I don't think the problem was the 60:40 ratio. Difficult to guess the cause of the problem... I'd guess the plug wasn't sealed. I did notice some changes to the pods but haven't had any leaks with the new pods. Smok Infinix

As for other similar devices... you might take a look at the Vladdin RE topic.

• Useful

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I also find that pods are different. Only have the Minifit for now, and not very impressed. Some pods spits back while others don't...all give a very muted flavor, so that's that for the minifit....:cool:
Have the Aspire spryte, Smok novo and Innokin EQ on order...very excited about the EQ. I hear the novo is prone to leaking.
Like tanks, it'll take time to seperate the best from the rest...have to start somewhere I suppose.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
I've been using ~70% PG in my Infinix and it seems OK at the moment. The pod's been in use for about 5 days, with several refills.

I've certainly come across the suggestion that thinner liquids will find their way out more quickly - if there is one.

I checked my Infinix again. It's been standing upright for almost a full day. The connectors on the mod are dry and the pod shows no signs of incontinence. Perhaps it's like coils - most are fine, the odd one maybe not.

The Vladdin is worth checking out. I'm enjoying mine. It has a slightly tighter draw than the Infinix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread