PG vs VG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starchelle

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Georgia
So I've tried the whole VG thing now, and I need to know if anyone else agrees or if it's just me...

I'd read that the VGs were actually sweeter and more flavorful than PGs, but I'm not finding that at ALL! I've tried both the coffee flavor and Smilin menthol from V4L and honestly I'm not tasting any sweetness whatsoever. Is it just me?

I'm disappointed. :confused:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
So I've tried the whole VG thing now, and I need to know if anyone else agrees or if it's just me...

I'd read that the VGs were actually sweeter and more flavorful than PGs, but I'm not finding that at ALL! I've tried both the coffee flavor and Smilin menthol from V4L and honestly I'm not tasting any sweetness whatsoever. Is it just me?

Starchelle,

Usually it's said that PG carries flavor better than VG - I don't find that to be the case universally - perhaps it has to do with how the VG is diluted. Pure VG is sweeter than pure PG, imo. But again, when diluted (either with H2O or PGA and which is used can make a difference) VG is less sweet, of course than the pure form. VG will get you more vapor. If you refill, you might try Ecopure's VG - "Rich".

ECOpure juice

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
I'm going through this quandry right now too....I've been vaping mostly PG/VG mixes for months, but wanted to try the VG thing again since my tool of choice (mini REO) is used by many VG vapers out there. The vapor I'm getting is okay, but the flavor disappears after a very short while and my throat is on fire....I'm getting a singed feeling in my mouth, throat, and nose and I was very much not expecting that. I am wondering if my expectations were off base, or if my equipment could be to blame (LR510 1.5ohm from PS), or is it possible that I'm a little allergic?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST

Try a little VG by itself. It is slightly sweet. As others above have said, it carries less flavor, more vapor.

I'm going through this quandry right now too....I've been vaping mostly PG/VG mixes for months, but wanted to try the VG thing again since my tool of choice (mini REO) is used by many VG vapers out there. The vapor I'm getting is okay, but the flavor disappears after a very short while and my throat is on fire....I'm getting a singed feeling in my mouth, throat, and nose and I was very much not expecting that. I am wondering if my expectations were off base, or if my equipment could be to blame (LR510 1.5ohm from PS), or is it possible that I'm a little allergic?

What nic level are you vaping? You've probably thought about this, but some possibilities off the top of my head:

1) Peppery taste = nic too high for your mix
2) Poor atomization - Try thinning the VG a little. PG/PGA/Water
3) If you think you are a little allergic, don't vape it. Try pure PG at that nic level and see.
4) LR atty is too hot and "burning" the juice, making it nasty (doubt it, but added it anyway. You're at 3.6 volts...14500......).
5) Flavor issue - Try another flavor, or try unflavored at your nic strength if you have some.

2 cents. Love the username BTW.

Last edited:

David Bruno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Iron Mountain , Michigan
Here's what I've found in the two years and many orders of juice. PG is Flavor and throat hit. VG is vapor and a bit of sweet.
The thing is to find the correct mix of the two to fit your taste and need. Example, I like a kick .... throat hit, good vapor with a small hint of sweet. I mix 90 pg/ 10 vg with nic of 36 mg in many sellers juices. In some I will mix 80/20. I get a great throat hit with very good vapor and it isn't sickening sweet. I for the most part vape tobacco juice. If I want food flavors I go to the refrigerator. When I started using sweet candy, fruit and pastry juice I almost smoked again. Some people are different and like those over tobacco. In regards to VG, I've mixed higher % of VG in juice like 50/50 and lost the taste and throat hit. I spent quite a few years on the stage with fog machines and that's what I get when to high VG,

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Thank you for your thoughts...

I had been vaping 24mg 50/50 PG/VG for about a month and a half, then lowered it to 18mg about a month ago. Recently bought 18mg VG thinking that was accurate for my needs, but I'm really thinking the nic is too high for me with VG. The 18mg VG I bought seems as strong if not stronger than the 24mg PG/VG mix of the same flavor. I don't understand how that would work. But then that is why I'm not a juice expert...lol. I'm going to try cutting it to see if that helps....and if not, then maybe my needs have dropped again and I just need to lower my nic level to 12-14mg and go from there. Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Thanks...I already only buy from "local" (to the US) suppliers who make their own in stead of buying Chinese...but I think you're right, that I should try other vendors. I'm just not mentioning names because I like all three of the suppliers I deal with and don't want to tarnish their rep cause I can't get a handle on what works for me. V4L is not one of them.

Andy1100

Sep 30, 2010
Roanoke, VA
I've recently found (ego with XL atty and carts) that i get that chemical burn flavor when my atty is flooded (which happens alot with the XL stuff) I'll hit it and bam mouth and throat get a wicked chemical burn type taste. I just pull up on the cart so the filler isn't making contact with the atty and vape a few times to clear it up...

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
I've recently found (ego with XL atty and carts) that i get that chemical burn flavor when my atty is flooded (which happens alot with the XL stuff) I'll hit it and bam mouth and throat get a wicked chemical burn type taste. I just pull up on the cart so the filler isn't making contact with the atty and vape a few times to clear it up...

Thank you, Andy. That is a great tip for those out there using that set up...I wish I had known that when I was using the eGo. I'm afraid I have moved on to bottom fed juice mods that only use an atomizer and the juice is fed directly to the atomizer.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
No sweat! Glad I couldn't help! :)
I'm afraid that I've been looking at REO's recently, then at my wallet, then at REO's, then at my wallet... One of these days....

I know that scenario...I'm glad we went ahead and got these..in the long run, I'm sure its saving money....because I don't see my husband buying up every mod out there anymore. And I'm finally done with analogs and I owe that to the REO. I hope you get the opportunity someday, but in the meantime, good luck with the eGo and happy vaping! I'll get my juice thing under control eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread