Pharaoh RTA - Wich Wire should I use for a 0.3 ohm coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudHunter

Nov 17, 2017
Hi everybody,

two days ago i ordered the Pharaoh rta. I was pretty excited because its my first rta!
But i think i did a mistake in ordering a Pack of Cotton and Wire by UD.
The wire is a 26ga+32ga KA1 Clapton, but i can´t reach 0.3 ohm no matter how i wrap it.
The lowest i can go is like 0.6 ohm and thats about 2 wraps and it tastes ....y.

Can anybody give me some advise wich wire i should use to get a nice tasting 0.3 ohm coil?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, plain round wire either kanthal or stainless steel should do the trick. Have you calculated everything out in steam-engine and are still having trouble? Could be the wire you have is just too much for what you are trying to build. I use 28 gauge wire mostly in my builds (SS) but I am building to a higher resistance.

The factors you are going to want to consider are diameter of the coil length of the legs, and gauge does play a role in some fashion that I don't know too much about yet... But I will say if you are looking for lower resistance more easily starting with plain builds might be your best bet.

Good luck, sorry to not be more helpful... :)

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
First, you're correct that the only way to get that Clapton to 0.3 ohm is with 2 wraps. Stem Engine wire wizard is really good at stuff like this Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

The real question is WHY do you need the coil to be 0.3 ohm. Are you using this on a mech, which is about the only way it would matter?

CloudHunter

Nov 17, 2017
idk what's best for YOU but atm i myself am using some clapton coils (dual coils rated at .25) using them just below 60 watts it's a nice and warm vape not too warm or too cold, i know you said .3 but meh close enough :p
sounds good! Wich Wire, diametre, how many wrapps do you use to build these coils and how can i do it on a single coil

Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
sounds good! Wich Wire, diametre, how many wrapps do you use to build these coils and how can i do it on a single coil
I bought them pre rolled as i have no idea and no time to make clapton coils. They are 2mm and about 4-5 wraps I'd say though and each coil are around .6 (or so the box says). I can link you to the ones i have now but that's about all i can do unfortunately.

Last edited:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Duplicate post

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
No I'm not using a mech.(I will try, as soon as I'm good at building)
As long as I can get a good taste and a nice cloud, i dont care about the resistance. But I figured out that what I'm looking for is around .3 to .4 at 50-60 watt. If you got some other advise, I would be happy if you tell me.

On a regulated mod, the resistance doesn't matter (as long as it's within the spec of the mod). You just change the wattage accordingly. No reason a 0.6 ohm build at 40W can't give you as good an experience as 0.3-0.4 at 50-60W. If it's about wanting clouds, then all you need is high VG, good airflow, and big lungs.

Edit: forgot this was about the Pharaoh RTA. I have one and like it. I used a fused Clapton 3.5 mm ID (it really like big coils) using 316L SS, comes in around 0.5 ohm, and get plenty of big clouds along with flavor, which is really what I personally am interested in.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi everybody,

two days ago i ordered the Pharaoh RTA. I was pretty excited because its my first RTA!
But i think i did a mistake in ordering a Pack of Cotton and Wire by UD.
The wire is a 26ga+32ga KA1 Clapton, but i can´t reach 0.3 ohm no matter how i wrap it.
The lowest i can go is like 0.6 ohm and thats about 2 wraps and it tastes ....y.

Can anybody give me some advise wich wire i should use to get a nice tasting 0.3 ohm coil?
I’ve got some 22/36 SS I use in mine. 5 wraps gives me a .4 ohm coil which seems to work rather well. You want to make sure the wicks hang above the vents rather than in then though

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’ve got some 22/36 SS I use in mine. 5 wraps gives me a .4 ohm coil which seems to work rather well. You want to make sure the wicks hang above the vents rather than in then though
Oops. I don’t have what I thought I did. Just opened it up. Got 6 wraps of 22ga straight kanthal not spaced. I forgot I changed it. The 5 wrap SS was my previous build. Worked fine though it may have been lower wattage than .4. Flavor was unspectacular though. The 6 wrap kanthal is better imho even if you can’t use it for TC

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. I really do recommend slick (round) wire for new coil builders. It's easier to deal with until you get some experience under your belt. With a regulated mod, coil value is not particularly important as the mod can set watts for you. For a dual coil setup, try a 9/8 wrap in 3mm, using 26ga SS316. That'll make about 240mW/mm², which should give excellent cloud without completely destroying flavor, at 60 watts. Go down to 50W and you'll lose a tiny bit of cloud and get much better flavor.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi and welcome. I really do recommend slick (round) wire for new coil builders. It's easier to deal with until you get some experience under your belt. With a regulated mod, coil value is not particularly important as the mod can set watts for you. For a dual coil setup, try a 9/8 wrap in 3mm, using 26ga SS316. That'll make about 240mW/mm², which should give excellent cloud without completely destroying flavor, at 60 watts. Go down to 50W and you'll lose a tiny bit of cloud and get much better flavor.
Ooh. I may try that one. He’s got a pharoah25 though which is a single coil device though. (It can theoretically dual coil but the results are miserable in practice)

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Ooh. I may try that one. He’s got a pharoah25 though which is a single coil device though. (It can theoretically dual coil but the results are miserable in practice)
My bad, so it is. Belay the instructions OP, and thanks for the good eye Bomb...

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
This is how my Moonshot is built and this advice is spot on for a dual coil setup.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
  • Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread