• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Pharmacokinetics of Propylene Glycol, Glycerin USP and Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianMetalHead

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
Mirabel, QC, CANADA
www.youtube.com
A friend of mine sent me this today. He works for PFizer Canada. Scientist of sorts. Very smart man.
I hope this helps anyone who needs it. Good Luck.

_________________________________________________________________________________

*Information requested by Health Canada for Market Authorisation of Electronic Cigarettes and e-liquid products in Canada.

Pharmacokinetics of Propylene Glycol and Glycerin USP

Propylene Glycol is metabolized in the human body into pyruvic acid (a normal part of the
glucose-metabolism process, readily converted to energy), acetic acid (handled by ethanol-metabolism),
lactic acid (a normal acid generally abundant during digestion), and propionaldehyde. Inhalation of
the propylene glycol vapors appears to present no significant hazard. Propylene glycol does not cause sensitization and it shows no evidence of being a carcinogen or of being genotoxic.

*Some electronic cigarette users who inhale propylene glycol vapor may experience dryness of the throat. As an alternative, some suppliers will put Vegetable Glycerin in the "e-liquid" for those who are allergic (or have bad reactions) to propylene glycol.

Glycerol/Glycerin is used for an evaporative fogging agent as an alternative to Propylene Glycol in some solutions for "electronic cigarette" use, mostly for those with a physiological sensitivity or other health concerns.
Glycerol/Glycerin is also produced as a byproduct of refining of cooking and salad oils, and various brands (e.g, NOW) are sold to the retail market as "Pure Vegetable Source" glycerin, 100% pure, which is safe for ingestion/inhalation.

Pharmacokinetics of Nicotine

Effects of nicotine.[11]

As nicotine enters the body, it is distributed quickly through the bloodstream and crosses the blood-brain barrier reaching the brain within 10-20 seconds after inhalation.[12] The elimination half life of nicotine in the body is around two hours.[13]

The amount of nicotine absorbed by the body from smoking depends on many factors, including the types of tobacco, whether the smoke is inhaled, and whether a filter is used. For chewing tobacco, dipping tobacco, snus and snuff, which are held in the mouth between the lip and gum, or taken in the nose, the amount released into the body tends to be much greater than smoked tobacco. Nicotine is metabolized in the liver by cytochrome P450 enzymes (mostly CYP2A6, and also by CYP2B6). A major metabolite is cotinine.

Other primary metabolites include nicotine N'-oxide, nornicotine, nicotine isomethonium ion, 2-hydroxynicotine and nicotine glucuronide.[14] Under some conditions, other substances may be formed such as mysomine.[15]

Glucuronidation and oxidative metabolism of nicotine to cotinine are both inhibited by menthol, an additive to mentholated cigarettes, thus increasing the half-life of nicotine in vivo.

Attachments

• PharmacokineticsPGVGNIC.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 29

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
I prefer VG (myself) for the less TH, added sweetness, and more dense vapour.

Because I most times solely "drip", I also find that the thickness is easier to control that drip from the bottle and hangs on to the bridge more effectively causing less leaks since I'm usually at 80-100% VG (<-- this works for "me" at vv up to 5v where "my" hits are short & frequent).

CanadianMetalHead

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
Mirabel, QC, CANADA
www.youtube.com
So do you find that it's less dry on the mouth? Any difference in buzz vs PG?

Hi there Mr King Cobra ;) I just wanted to let you know, When I started Vaping, I was using 100% PG. There's nothing wrong with PG, other than the fact that there is less vapor and I got cottonmouth, dry throat. Sort of reminded me of my teenage years If you know what I mean ;),
I switched to 100% VG and wow. Lots of vapor, no dry mouth/throat, still got throat hits, a little smoother though and for flavor, honestly, no difference. I find it even better. I feel even better health wise.

VG is also a Expectorant when inhaled. It'll make you cough up some ugly stuff from your smoking days. I know that's what's been happening to me since I switched to VG. I feel so much better. More energy. I love VG now.

Good luck with your Vaping. :)

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I dislike both pure PG and pure VG. Gotta have a mix.

PG lacks vapor to the point where if you hold it for even a second, hardly anything is exhaled. VG on the hands, is so thick it's like I'm breathing in cotton. I swear it lowers my voice by two octaves too... haha. VG has hardly any throat hit.

A good 70/30 mix gives me all the advantages of both, and none of the disadvantages.

Kams Cats

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
A good 70/30 mix gives me all the advantages of both, and none of the disadvantages.

I like blends too. While I love the VG feel. The thick vapor and the smoothness, I find 100% VG does really lose the flavour. Which is very important to me. I find 100% PG sometimes too harsh to handle.

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
Hi there Mr King Cobra ;) I just wanted to let you know, When I started Vaping, I was using 100% PG. There's nothing wrong with PG, other than the fact that there is less vapor and I got cottonmouth, dry throat. Sort of reminded me of my teenage years If you know what I mean ;),
I switched to 100% VG and wow. Lots of vapor, no dry mouth/throat, still got throat hits, a little smoother though and for flavor, honestly, no difference. I find it even better. I feel even better health wise.

VG is also a Expectorant when inhaled. It'll make you cough up some ugly stuff from your smoking days. I know that's what's been happening to me since I switched to VG. I feel so much better. More energy. I love VG now.

Good luck with your Vaping. :)

That's awesome, thanks. I may try a bottle, I can deal with the dry mouth as I always have a coffee handy but if this stuff is the same thing except for the dry mouth, I can deal with a little less taste. The expectorant part really appeals to me, I've been more worried about PG drying out my lungs than my mouth and my lungs are pretty dry from smoking to start with, plus I drink 10+ cups of coffee a day which dehydrates them (not giving this up in case anyone is wondering LOL). So something that wouldn't be a damn astringent would be worth checking out for sure. Thanks again for the advice!

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada

PG lacks vapor to the point where if you hold it for even a second, hardly anything is exhaled. VG on the hands, is so thick it's like I'm breathing in cotton. I swear it lowers my voice by two octaves too... haha. VG has hardly any throat hit.

That sounds like it's worth checking out then - thanks! I guess no one notices any difference other than that though?

NanoVapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Western Canada
www.grbc.co

Amen to that. Ive blended every ratio you could want and find 70/30 PG/VG is where its at. If you go too heavy on VG you get problems with the viscosity impacting the whole e-cig dynamics IMO. But it adds alot more vapor even at 30% assuming your gears good to go.

CanadianMetalHead

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
Mirabel, QC, CANADA
www.youtube.com

I must admit, I want to try this mix, or 50/50.. Has anyone tried 50/50?

CanadianMetalHead

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
Mirabel, QC, CANADA
www.youtube.com
That's awesome, thanks. I may try a bottle, I can deal with the dry mouth as I always have a coffee handy but if this stuff is the same thing except for the dry mouth, I can deal with a little less taste. The expectorant part really appeals to me, I've been more worried about PG drying out my lungs than my mouth and my lungs are pretty dry from smoking to start with, plus I drink 10+ cups of coffee a day which dehydrates them (not giving this up in case anyone is wondering LOL). So something that wouldn't be a damn astringent would be worth checking out for sure. Thanks again for the advice!

I'm addicted to coffee too. No one touches my coffee. ;)

But mixes are good too. I'm thinking of trying 50/50 or 70VG/30PG. I like VG too much.

CanadianMetalHead

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
Mirabel, QC, CANADA
www.youtube.com
Amen to that. Ive blended every ratio you could want and find 70/30 PG/VG is where its at. If you go too heavy on VG you get problems with the viscosity impacting the whole e-cig dynamics IMO. But it adds alot more vapor even at 30% assuming your gears good to go.

I will try this ratio too. Just for fun. Thanks.

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
I can relate to the pg leak (as I am right now cleaning my drip atty on my t shirt)... at least I smell good. vg is thick and you need to thin it to use in an ego t. I use a 50/50 33mg unflavoured as one mix and it has sweetness from the vg and plenty of hit. most of my smoker friends actually like that stuff the best. I will say I have gotten almost 2 weeks on the same carto when not using flavourings.... so vg doesn't kill cartos ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread