Status
Not open for further replies.

banjo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2010
Rio Oso, CA
Glad now that I bought my Phidias. I'm also a REO user, but from what I can gather, they are now only building aluminum body - industrial - REOs rather the older wooden bodied ones, which I have. I am sure that the new ones are easier and cheaper to manufacture (although the retail price doesn't seem to have changed much), but much prefer handcrafted items over industrial ones, and certainly prefer wood over aluminum. So thank you again Fono for the Phidias......

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
OK.

Off to the Post office--everyone that ordered today gets it mailed out Today...

Two Left then that's it---

After those are sold the sale will be over...

They are both Purple Heart Chassis with Padauk inlays and end caps...

the C-row PVs.
-------------------------

If this is your first 510 connector watch out for funky bad adapters---

To test for this:

take the Battery out of your Phidias

screw the adapter tightly to the atty first---then gently engage the 510 threads and turn until you feel the center pole make contact-- STOP right there.

Look to see if there is still a mm of space between the outer ring of the adapter and the rim of your 510 connector....

If there is you have a funky bad Adapter---don't use it, you may crush your connector's insulating ring and cause a dead short.

Your Phidias' Negative Battery Spring will instantly turn cherry red and collapse if you do cause a short...

This is a good thing, it will break the circuit, and is why I use that particular spring...

Got-a go---running late--Thanks All
Be careful out there
Regards
fono

Last edited:

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
You're absolutely more than welcome Banjo,

The real pay off for me is hearing from people who see their Phidias just sitting there looking sexy and smile...

That's why I do it...

Thanks Banjo
regards
fono

Glad now that I bought my Phidias. I'm also a REO user, but from what I can gather, they are now only building aluminum body - industrial - REOs rather the older wooden bodied ones, which I have. I am sure that the new ones are easier and cheaper to manufacture (although the retail price doesn't seem to have changed much), but much prefer handcrafted items over industrial ones, and certainly prefer wood over aluminum. So thank you again Fono for the Phidias......

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
Mine came in today - I bought it over the weekend on a bit of an impulse....
As soon as I picked up the mail, I unwrapped it, loaded up the juice and took the atty (3.5 Ohm) and batteries (2 RCR123a LiFePo4's) off my V3 to compare.

There's been lots said about the build quality of this device. All i can say is its all pretty much true- . There is something special about the application of the Golden Ratio that gets completly lost in the photographs- not just in the way it looks but the way it feels and the way it fits in your hands.

Initially I had some problems with juice leaking but I traced it soon enough to a combination of me not screwing the top of the juice bottle on tight enough and the way I was pushing down on the juice button- there's a bit of a "getting the feel for it" thing going on here, kind of like milking a cow, and the advice of trying it without an atty to see what's happening is really good advice. Once I figured out that the right touch is more of slowly applying/increasing pressure as opposed to pushing an elevator button, all was good. It really works as advertised.

First thing i noticed on the vapor production was that this device vapes alot hotter than my V3- I thought there was something wrong at first as the same batteries and atty i had been using all morning long on the V3 seemed to be tasting burnt on the Phidias- I confirmed it wasn't a problem with the juice by dripping from the top and swapping back and forth between the V3 and the Phidius. I thought it might be some left over mineral oil but that didn't make sense... .About two hours later I remembered that the V3 is set up to keep the side ports of the atty up and clear of the threaded connection allowing for maximum air flow (and cooler vape) hence I've settled in to 3.5 ohm attys with it. Changing up to 4.2 Ohms on the Phidias helped alot but it's still hotter than I like- Tomorrow I'll mess around with 3.7V and 1.5 ohm atties vs standard attys... I have a sneaky suspicion that 2 Ohms with 3.7V will be just right....

As I said earlier, the build quality is really high on this mod- all the joints fit tightly like a piece of italian marketry. I think the push button is the only thing a bit out of place- it works fine ergonomically but it could be countersunk or recessed - perhaps there's a good reason that it was designed this way but it sits on top of the device held in by the center post, and the tiniest of gaps between the bottom of the button and the wood allows light to pass under it.. I also think brass or stainless would be nicer. Also, that makes the only way to disable the device being to remove the atty or battery- an on/off switch would be a good idea. I'm also a bit concerned about the potential for juice to leak onto the back of the pushbutton- the button is sealed with some silicon and is probably fine, but seeing it just behind the tip of the feeder bottle kind of makes you wonder.

Electronically, the design is as simple as it gets- If you are of the school of thought that thinks more circuitry is more to go wrong then you will be hard pressed to find fault with the electronics in this mod - there aren't any. The pushbutton switch sits between the atty connector and the batteries. The wiring and soldering is clean and neatly tucked in. I would imagine and hope that Fono has some thoughts in mind for introducing (and hopefully retro fitting) variable voltage and beefier electronics at some point- If so, I hope he can figure it out without changing any of the outer dimensions -

I did have some issues with the stacked RCR123a's shifting around. A few times today I had to lift the back off and straighten them up - I think an easy fix would be a thin plastic battery sleeve, or perhaps just putting a bit of foam under/along each battery to make things a bit snugger- Since the battery slot has room for 18650's, I don't think this is a design fault, just a fact of life ... Perhaps a better choice for HV would be to use 18350's assuming its not a problem for the switch, and that there's enough space top to bottom for them.

I doubt I'm the first to notice these things, quite possible there's a thread somewhere that i couldn't find with all the answers- That said, even if they can't be resolved, they are all minor issues and shouldn't be a factor in deciding against this device.

While not perfect, no mod is- I do not believe any device is ideal for every situation.... This one has many strenghts visually, ergonomically and functionally and probably worth buying even if just for the bottom feed. This one already has a special place in my collection - I'm glad I bought it and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better (and ordering some spare juice dispensers) in the next few days.

mianker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2010
USA
I ordered one today. I'll post a report once I give it a try. Since I'm a noob to vaping, perhaps I can give a different perspective on the product. :)

I also order a Phidias yesterday and will probably bring a unique perspective to reveiwing this PV as other than one truly disapointing PV I only use tube type pvs. I have admired the Phidias for some time now as I am a wood carver and love the appearance. Fono made an offer I couldn't refuse and it looks like I am in good company. I vape almost exclusively at 3.7 and love the 18650 battery and with a juice feeder this could be my perfect PV. I for one don't know if I would buy another AV PV as I just bought one and tend to use my old PVs more than the AV one I just bought. If this is as nice as it appears I will be placing an order for a second so that my 2 main flavors have their own personal PVs.

BTW Lighthound has AW 3000mAH 18650 batteries (expensive but I have 2 on the way)

AND NOW I STALK MY MAILMAN

BadThad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Cincinnati
Mine came in today - I bought it over the weekend on a bit of an impulse....
As soon as I picked up the mail, I unwrapped it, loaded up the juice and took the atty (3.5 Ohm) and batteries (2 RCR123a LiFePo4's) off my V3 to compare.

There's been lots said about the build quality of this device. All i can say is its all pretty much true- . There is something special about the application of the Golden Ratio that gets completly lost in the photographs- not just in the way it looks but the way it feels and the way it fits in your hands.

Initially I had some problems with juice leaking but I traced it soon enough to a combination of me not screwing the top of the juice bottle on tight enough and the way I was pushing down on the juice button- there's a bit of a "getting the feel for it" thing going on here, kind of like milking a cow, and the advice of trying it without an atty to see what's happening is really good advice. Once I figured out that the right touch is more of slowly applying/increasing pressure as opposed to pushing an elevator button, all was good. It really works as advertised.

First thing i noticed on the vapor production was that this device vapes alot hotter than my V3- I thought there was something wrong at first as the same batteries and atty i had been using all morning long on the V3 seemed to be tasting burnt on the Phidias- I confirmed it wasn't a problem with the juice by dripping from the top and swapping back and forth between the V3 and the Phidius. I thought it might be some left over mineral oil but that didn't make sense... .About two hours later I remembered that the V3 is set up to keep the side ports of the atty up and clear of the threaded connection allowing for maximum air flow (and cooler vape) hence I've settled in to 3.5 ohm attys with it. Changing up to 4.2 Ohms on the Phidias helped alot but it's still hotter than I like- Tomorrow I'll mess around with 3.7V and 1.5 ohm atties vs standard attys... I have a sneaky suspicion that 2 Ohms with 3.7V will be just right....

As I said earlier, the build quality is really high on this mod- all the joints fit tightly like a piece of italian marketry. I think the push button is the only thing a bit out of place- it works fine ergonomically but it could be countersunk or recessed - perhaps there's a good reason that it was designed this way but it sits on top of the device held in by the center post, and the tiniest of gaps between the bottom of the button and the wood allows light to pass under it.. I also think brass or stainless would be nicer. Also, that makes the only way to disable the device being to remove the atty or battery- an on/off switch would be a good idea. I'm also a bit concerned about the potential for juice to leak onto the back of the pushbutton- the button is sealed with some silicon and is probably fine, but seeing it just behind the tip of the feeder bottle kind of makes you wonder.

Electronically, the design is as simple as it gets- If you are of the school of thought that thinks more circuitry is more to go wrong then you will be hard pressed to find fault with the electronics in this mod - there aren't any. The pushbutton switch sits between the atty connector and the batteries. The wiring and soldering is clean and neatly tucked in. I would imagine and hope that Fono has some thoughts in mind for introducing (and hopefully retro fitting) variable voltage and beefier electronics at some point- If so, I hope he can figure it out without changing any of the outer dimensions -

I did have some issues with the stacked RCR123a's shifting around. A few times today I had to lift the back off and straighten them up - I think an easy fix would be a thin plastic battery sleeve, or perhaps just putting a bit of foam under/along each battery to make things a bit snugger- Since the battery slot has room for 18650's, I don't think this is a design fault, just a fact of life ... Perhaps a better choice for HV would be to use 18350's assuming its not a problem for the switch, and that there's enough space top to bottom for them.

I doubt I'm the first to notice these things, quite possible there's a thread somewhere that i couldn't find with all the answers- That said, even if they can't be resolved, they are all minor issues and shouldn't be a factor in deciding against this device.

While not perfect, no mod is- I do not believe any device is ideal for every situation.... This one has many strenghts visually, ergonomically and functionally and probably worth buying even if just for the bottom feed. This one already has a special place in my collection - I'm glad I bought it and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better (and ordering some spare juice dispensers) in the next few days.

Thanks for the review, very in-depth!

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Mine arrived today also. A few questions.

1) What is the plastic penny sized bit of plastic that dropped out when I opened it up for? Its about the same diameter as an 18650 so I'm thinking I'm to use that when I carry it around, as a safety off switch?

2) Why is the plug you push to get juice to the atomizer held on with a tiny piece of wood and not something like a spring instead? It just so delicate compared to everything else which seems extremely solid.

3) Is it normal for the push button switch to be finicky and requires to be pushed in just the right way to fire off the atomizer?

4) It seems to me I have to squeeze painfully hard to move juice to the atomizer. I played with it some without the atomizer as suggested here to see how much pressure was required and it sure seems like alot. I have firbromyalgia so all the pressing hurts.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Got my Phidias in the mail about half an hour ago. It's BEAUTIFUL and vapes like a champ! I'll write a more in-depth review later. Right now, I've got four hungry dogs to feed and then off to work for a few hours.

Hi Patty,

Wow you got it quick! so glad you like it, looking forward to hearing more from you once you have the time...

I know all about hungry Dogs, out little Puggle, Polly Walnuts knows very well when it's food time, walk time etc...

DSC09533_cr.jpg

Regards
fono

Last edited:
Reactions: Dahomey

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
I'm here for you bsoplinger,

Yes that plastic penny is the insulation wafer, and can be stored up by the switch, under the battery etc.

When you need to disable the power simply slide the battery up a bit with your thumb and drop it over the positive battery contact.

Now its off, and will stay off until you take it out--nothing to short out, nothing to come un-soldered, nothing to fail--- I love the simple things...

I've always been a minimalist, as you can see by the feed button retention system, I first saw this technique for holding a sliding components at the Getty Museum in So Cal on a piece of Seventeenth Century Royal French office furniture, and have been waiting 25 years to use it myself...

the pin (derlin rod) cannot be stiff it needs to flex and give, as the button is in a chase and cannot change its orientation---the rod must flex less the button be impinged and bind.

that's why it's flimsy it needs to be...

If your button seems dodgey try giving it a good stiff and repeated whacking with the bottom of your three ml. bottle...if that does not free it up send it back and I'll replace the switch for you and pay your postage...

That switch is the finest 12mm momentary switch you can buy.

It's called the Anti Vandal switch, its rated for a million clicks, is housed in a 100% sealed milled aluminum chassis...and is designed for use in public places, schools, malls, elevators etc.

I don't know why but beating on them brings them back when they seem dodgey.

Seriously send it back if it seems less than flawless in its operation--a perfect switch is what you are suppose to have--I absolutely insist on it.

Ok, the bottles are brand new if they seem stiff its because they are---I tenderized them a bit making them up--it wouldn't hurt to massage them a little more...

the flow of juice is not about pressure, its about time---it takes time for that juice to move through that 18 gage stainless tube...

I suspect it's the bottle that is still stiff...

If it turns out it's not working for you, for any reason, please return it for a full refund--

try beating on that switch--the switch should be a pleasure to use...

Any other problems please---keep me posted, I'm here for you

Best Regards
fono

Mine arrived today also. A few questions.

1) What is the plastic penny sized bit of plastic that dropped out when I opened it up for? Its about the same diameter as an 18650 so I'm thinking I'm to use that when I carry it around, as a safety off switch?

2) Why is the plug you push to get juice to the atomizer held on with a tiny piece of wood and not something like a spring instead? It just so delicate compared to everything else which seems extremely solid.

3) Is it normal for the push button switch to be finicky and requires to be pushed in just the right way to fire off the atomizer?

4) It seems to me I have to squeeze painfully hard to move juice to the atomizer. I played with it some without the atomizer as suggested here to see how much pressure was required and it sure seems like alot. I have firbromyalgia so all the pressing hurts.

Last edited:

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Knowing the button is held in with a small delrin rod makes quite a bit of difference. I thought it was a small wooden dowel which is why I was worried about its longevity. But I know delrin is quite resilient.

I'll give the button a few smacks. I'll admit I never thought of trying that to get it to behave.

Pressure vs. time for juice flow. Makes sense now that you say it. Played around a bit without the atomizer and I see what you mean. So we'll see what it feels like as I use it tomorrow.

Glad to see I got one thing right, the use of the plastic disc. Figured it was just for that, to be put between the battery and + terminal to assure the PV was off.

The quick answers and offer to replace the switch are both appreciated. I'll smack the button a bit and use it tomorrow before I decide anything.

It sure does look nice though. Now I just need to learn to use it so its nice too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread