Philip Morris debuts a new type of E Cigarette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
In the deeming doc, "components" still need FDA approval. "Accessories" do not. Accessories aren't defined like 'our' accessories are. Humidors, pipe cleaners, ecig cases, etc. are accessories. Mods, tanks are "components".

So if the IQOS is a "Component" it needs FDA Approval... Right?

And if it does, then Wouldn't PM want to go down the Road of a Significant Equivalent product seeing that they sold something very similar before the Cut Off Date?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
So if the IQOS is a "Component" it needs FDA Approval... Right?

And if it does, then Wouldn't PM want to go down the Road of a Significant Equivalent product seeing that they sold something very similar before the Cut Off Date?

Depends on how well it might sell and if it does then I would suspect they'd submit an application for SE....

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Depends on how well it might sell and if it does then I would suspect they'd submit an application for SE....

Gotcha.

I suppose that is what PM is doing Right Now. Launch it in a Less Restrictive Market. See if it Sells. And then think about Selling it in the US or Other Markets.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The FDA's proposed deeming regs repeatedly states that "components" (but not "accessories") of tobacco products are considered to be "tobacco products", which presumably would require the manufacturers of tobacco product "components" to submit SE or New Tobacco Product applications to the FDA. But I don't think the proposed deeming regulations ever stated that manufacturers of "components" would be required to submit these applications (and have FDA approve them) to keep their components on the market.

Although hundreds of different pipes were sold before February 2007, I don't know think any mods were on the market at that time.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The FDA's proposed deeming regs repeatedly states that "components" (but not "accessories") of tobacco products are considered to be "tobacco products", which presumably would require the manufacturers of tobacco product "components" to submit SE or New Tobacco Product applications to the FDA. But I don't think the proposed deeming regulations ever stated that manufacturers of "components" would be required to submit these applications (and have FDA approve them) to keep their components on the market.

Although hundreds of different pipes were sold before February 2007, I don't know think any mods were on the market at that time.

There's still some question as to whether cigalikes were on the (US) market at the time. I believe they were via ebay mostly.

As for components - here's the passage in the deeming doc that defines them:

"Components and parts of tobacco products, but not their related accessories, would also be included in the scope of this proposed rule. Components and parts are included as part of a finished tobacco product or intended for consumer use in the consumption of a tobacco product. Components and parts that would be covered under this proposal include those items sold separately or as part of kits sold or distributed for consumer use or further manufacturing or included as part of a finished tobacco product.

Some have tried to make the argument that only components that are part of a finished product would be included (and that they would be grandfathered), but that (first underline) doesn't seem to be the case - separate components that will be used (although not part of) in the finished product, are also "components" needing application. And the part before the 'or' (second underline) tends to validate that.

However, they (FDA) are 'asking for comments' regarding these definitions.

"If you believe FDA should define these terms, we seek comment on how to define the categories of “components,” “parts,” and “accessories.” We also ask for comments on whether and how the use of certain components, parts, or accessories might be used to alter the effects of the tobacco product on public health, the constituents delivered by the product, or the potential initiation of new tobacco users."

Here, no-nic users could argue that their 'components' actually 'alter the effects of the tobacco products on public health' to the better. They like to vape and omitting the nicotine may be considered 'good for public health' in that it doesn't 'continue' the addiction or promote 'dual use'.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Here's what I don't get at all. At the moment, I'm a "dual user." I can go into any store that sells cigarettes, and buy as many as my budget permits, of any kind of cigarettes I want, from the airiest ultra-light to the knock-me-against-the-wall filterless, and nobody gives a damn. But now that I know about e-cigs, and how much better for my health they are, I want to start, and continue, buying those -- and suddenly the FDA gives a damn?!?!?!?!?

THERE IS SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!!!!!!!!!

Andria

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I hope the hype and the marketing restrictions pan out and allow ecigs to be marketed as the safer solution that they are. It's obvious that tobacco in a paper tube is a proven health risk and a known killer. Ecigs haven't been associated with any sort of harm other than possible lung and throat irritation if used in excess. You can get that from doing yard work. I'm always choked up a bit the next day after cutting grass for about 3 hours on a rider mower.

It's mostly about the tobacco tax revenue loss if people transition to ecigs and the dislike from ANTZ for anything that produces a visible exhale from a product containing nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread