Philippines Customs Thinks TFA Strawberry Ripe is Dangerous Drug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
Wish to share this in hopes that it may prevent someone else from throwing their money away.

I ordered the following items from MyFreedomSmokes.

TFA - Pina Colada (Flavoring) Size 15ml - $3.95
TFA - Cheesecake [Graham Crust] (Flavoring) Size 15ml - $3.95
Flavor West - Blood Orange (flavoring) Size 15ml - $2.45
Capella - Sweet Tangerine (Flavoring) Size 15ml - $2.45
TFA - Orange Cream (Flavoring) Size 30ml - $4.45
Capella - Golden Pineapple (Flavoring) Size 15ml - $2.45
Capella - Juicy Orange (Flavoring) Size 30ml - $4.45

Paid for FedEx International Priority. That was $31.
FYI - FedEx Philippines always charges an additional P560 ($11) upon delivery on any and every international package they deliver in the Philippines.

Saturday I was notified that the package was delayed for customs inspection.

I was then notified by FedEx that the package was scheduled for X-Ray on Wednesday. I was also informed that FedEx would be charging an additional PHP 245 (about $5.30 with Vat) per a day starting 48 hours from arrival on Saturday.

Today Thursday, still no word. At this point the additional charges that would be due would add up to $32.

Tonight, 8:17 pm Philippines time I receive an email from FedEx.

"Please be advised package underwent x ray inspection but Customs examiner required for items to undergo clearance with CNIU ( Chemicals & Narcotics Interdiction Unit )."

Well that ends that. Total loss.

Everything in the Philippines seems to work like this, just hope I don't get EJK'd for using Juicy Orange.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Vape Magoo - But those flavorings are also used for candy making, for baking, etc. They're just flavorings...not finished eliquids containing nicotine.

Your last communication from FedEx said:
vape Magoo" data-source="post: 21055461" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
vape Magoo said:
"Please be advised package underwent x ray inspection but Customs examiner required for items to undergo clearance with CNIU ( Chemicals & Narcotics Interdiction Unit )."

It only says Customs examiner would be needed for the items to undergo clearance. Doesn't say they failed. Is there any way you can contact them...about them being just flavorings?

Of course, if the outer packaging was labeled as coming from My Freedom Smokes, and/or the packing slip inside was also...that probably triggered the Customs problems. Maybe if they came from OneStopDIY Shop or elsewhere...that has no mention of ecigs, eliquids, nor vaping anywhere on their website and vaping gear isn't sold on their website...they'd have gone through.

Last edited:

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
It is always a good idea to stay up to date with your local laws.

The Philippines were recently added to the "banned in" category.

One general source ---> Vaping Banned in Another 5 Countries

It is not banned in the Philippines. There is an import restrictions on ENDS and E-Juice. It requires an ICC from NTA. The items are flavorings and are not part of the import restriction. But, it turns out they have found a way for even spoiling that.

Actually you can purchase everything online locally from "Juice Sir" and "Hit & Chase" close to the same price and without the ridiculous shipping fees.

I made the purchase as a comparative quality experiment.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
@Vape Magoo - But those flavorings are also used for candy making, for baking, etc. They're just flavorings...not finished eliquids containing nicotine.

Your last communication from FedEx said:

It only says Customs examiner would be needed for the items to undergo clearance. Doesn't say they failed. Is there any way you can contact them...about them being just flavorings?

Of course, if the outer packaging was labeled as coming from My Freedom Smokes, and/or the packing slip inside was also...that probably triggered the Customs problems. Maybe if they came from OneStopDIY Shop or elsewhere...that has no mention of ecigs, eliquids, nor vaping anywhere on their website and vaping gear isn't sold on their website...they'd have gone through.

Bad grammar. Should be read as, "Customs examiner is requiring the items to undergo clearance with CNIU".

I believe you are correct that "My Freedom Smokes" on the package triggered the inspection. I have tried through TFA and there is no problem. The items are allowed. But the bottles are properly labeled and it is stupid to think that they are anything except what they say they are.

You are also right they have other uses. I also believe there is more to the story. They are not exactly known for their honesty.

Last edited:

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
It is always a good idea to stay up to date with your local laws.

The Philippines were recently added to the "banned in" category.

One general source ---> Vaping Banned in Another 5 Countries

Yikes! I read that. That is totally inaccurate. At least concerning the Philippines.

Then again, maybe it would be good to spread the word that it is banned in the Philippines and cost them lost tourist dollars. Payback for my lost $53.

The truth is....

Smoking and Vaping is banned in all public places inside and outside in Davao City. That means everywhere except your home basically. There are a few rare smoking areas, like most malls will have one (and only one) in a deserted out of the way area. But you can not smoke/vape legally anywhere else, the side of the road, parking lot, abandoned lot, I mean nowhere outside of private homes. So basically I wouldn't even go to the doctors. I used to once in a while like to go out and listen to bands and have a couple of drinks. I also would sometimes do expensive local hotels or island hop mini vaca's but stopped, not paying to be made uncomfortable.

From what I have read, it is only that strict in the rest of the country for cigarettes. Vaping is less strict.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
Sounds like most of the government agencies world wide. Welcome to our world.

Lol, I know. And I always can think of BS in the US. But it really does have its own special brand here. I have come to miss the efficiency, helpfulness, knowledge and integrity of the DMV, town clerk, court and even lawyers I ever dealt with in the U.S.. Oh, and the speed and accuracy of the USPS, you guys really do not know how lucky you are.

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
Have you ever heard of an international express shipping service that charges the recipient $5+ a day when they claim they have a delay getting a package through customs?

No custom taxes or duties. No custom charges at all. No guaranteed delivery time. Just a late package that they want the recipient to pay them for their delay in getting it processed.

FedEx AND ONLY FedEx is trying to charge "warehouse fees" that are about 70% of the total original cost of the item and shipping.

This isn't a e cigarette thing. There appears to be complaints going back years of FedEx International doing this. Is it actually legal? Actually it is not. Someone is actually spending their own money to take them to court here. The problem is, there are no class action sharks here. There is no class action. No one wants to spend years of court, stress and thousands to recover a relatively small amount of cash. So the scam continues.

And it is a scam.

When a shipping price is quoted, it should be complete. Not a hidden charge for each day there is a delay in clearing the package through customs.

There is no top to what FedEx will charge. Of the complaints I have seen that mention charges and original cost they seem to be falling into the 70% range of original item value and shipping cost.

A real coincidence. The amount of time delayed is proportional to the value of the shipment. $50, a week, $200 over 3 weeks.

All I can do, when I can be more coherent is file a complaint with FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection. The shipment was both paid for and shipped from the U.S.. Not fully disclosing shipping costs before committing to selling and/or shipping is a nasty business practice.

Valid taxes/duties is legitimate. That is not what this is. These are additional shipping charges due to a delay that is FedEx's failure and no one else's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread