Phlegm in lungs after 3 years of vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronos

Oct 8, 2017
Hello,

I smoked cigarettes about 2 years, then I switched and to this day I have been vaping since about 3 years. I vape a very basic apple 12mg/ml PG 70%, VG 30% E-Liquid.

Since half a year I gradually coughed up phlegm more and more. First it was just to clear my throat during the day. Then it started to become bad in the mornings after sleep. I drink a lot of water to help get all the phlegm out. It is clear. I do not have a cold or the flu.

I do think the E-liquid/vaping is the problem as I did a test where I vaped way less than usual one day, and the next morning I woke up with almost no phlegm to cough out.

I will try out a change in PG/VG ratio and a flavourless E-liquid before I start reducing nicotine and frequency of vaping to eventually quit alltogether as I view this phlegm issue as not good at all.

I don't feel it will be helpful going to a doctor about this as I noticed most do not know enough about e-cigarettes. I did get a lung test done, where you exhale in a tube thing and the results came back perfectly fine.

Does anyone else have issues with a lot of phlegm after years of vaping?

Thank you a lot and greetings from Germany

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Welcome to the board. If cool breeze is correct, maybe pop some antihistamines for a few days and see if that works.

I've been vaping several yrs and moved to 50-50 after 70-30 and don't really notice anything. A fair amt of nose blowing most mornings, but sometimes nothing at all. Only the occasional cough. Unflavored here, but not sure that it makes a diff in this area.

Reactions: Simmonsd515

Chronos

Oct 8, 2017
    Thanks a lot for your answers!

@Cool_Breeze
    I'm not sure if the mucus comes directly from my lungs. I just assumed so as it feels like I cough it up from there. It sounds like it could be mucus from my sinuses that travel down while I sleep. I will try and find out where it comes from. I do suspect I might have chronic rhinitis.Thanks

@r77r7r
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I do have an allergy that contributes to a runny nose and sneezing. Because of that I take an antihistamine every day already. Do you think your need to blow your nose is from vaping?

I will discuss the possible sinus drainage (from rhinitis) with a doctor, it seems this might lead to the answer. Perhaps vaping makes it worse, so that's why I noticed an improvement of symptomes after vaping less.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    @Cool_Breeze
    I'm not sure if the mucus comes directly from my lungs. I just assumed so as it feels like I cough it up from there. It sounds like it could be mucus from my sinuses that travel down while I sleep. I will try and find out where it comes from. I do suspect I might have chronic rhinitis.Thanks...

In my case, I found a lot of mucus in my throat in the mornings (after vaping some) and at other times. I decided it was too much when it interfered with my ability to talk. Relief for me was found with Azelastine HCL, a prescription nasal spray. It is an antihistamine that works locally. It is not inexpensive, but does the job well for me.

As well, the coughing up is not dissimilar to what might come from the lungs. It can get pretty deep into the throat and seem similar.

There is a weaker OTC variant, Rhinolast (NOT Rhinocort). I did a little research on it last night and found that to get an equivalent amount of medication as my Azelastine HCL prescripiton, the cost of the OTC would likely be more than the prescription. As well, Rhinolast is not recommended to be taken in that amount and for long term. If you find you have the same problem as I have, Rhonolast might be helpful. I have not tried it.

I hope you are able resolve your difficulty whatever the source may be.

Reactions: Chronos
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread