The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Phoenix 808 bottom coil on SI batteries

Discussion in 'Smokeless Image' started by ThreadKiller, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ThreadKiller

ThreadKiller Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 19, 2012
    AGFFA
    I wrote this to someone a bit ago, but thought I'd post it here. Just my particular experiences. YMMV. YOYO (You're On Your Own).

What's in the package:
    5 - Phoenix clear cartos Bottom coil 2.6 - 2.8
    1 - syringe (2.5ml)
    2- needles (blunt, easily attached, just push them onto the syringe)
    1 - comfort tip. I'm not a fan of comfort tips, but this one I'm kinda liking.
    1 set of instructions on a little card that was very difficult to read.

Okay, I just got mine in today and I've just filled up with Cherry Blossom that had cracked one of my SI clearomizer. So far, so good.I'm not thrilled with the needle-fill method, but I managed to do it. The small area where you have to stick the needle is very hard to see since the surrounding area is all white. This isn't something I'll be able to do when half-awake.

I'd forgotten how small the regular cartos are compared with the clearos I've been using exclusively lately. The diameter of the phoenix is the same as a regular cart, but longer. About half an inch or more longer. I imagine it's a bit longer than an XL cart too.

I've got three SI batts: A manual and an auto 900 and an auto 1300. The manual works fine, as well as the 900 auto. The 1300 auto--nada. No vapor, no taste, no nothing. I guess it's hit-or-miss with the autos. I'll be using this mostly on my manual batt, I guess. The auto tends to create vapor a bit too long after I've already put the unit down.The vapor I get from these is actually pretty awesome.

The Cherry Blossom that I have is mostly PG and with a regular carto I get lots of taste but almost no vapor. With this Phoenix, I seem to get both. The more I use it, the more impressed I am with the vapor production. I wonder if it's just the juice....

Okay, had to try a second clearomizer. Had a helluva time getting the needle in, but finally did. Put in some weak mango I had. Could barely taste it in my other clearomozer, but I could taste it clearly in this one. It tasted warm, bordering on hot. Not a flavor I'll be using again with these Phoenixes.

=====================

That was a week or so ago. Since then I've noticed that with the Phoenixes I still get ocassional leakage onto the batter as well as nicquid in the mouth. Just like with the SI clearos.

I've been using all 5 units. I had expected at least one of them to be DOA, but that wasn't the case.

PROs:
    --Can use any niquid I want without fear of cracking (which is the reason I got them). This is very nice. I don't have to worry about what juice I'm using.
    --Better vapor production. To me, this is cosmetic, but it matters to a lot of people. You're not tasting all that vapor that's being blown out, but I guess it's makes us feel like we're smoking? I dunno. I still admire a good cloud of vapor myself, so I guess I shouldn't throw stones. :)

CONs:
    --Leaks onto the batt sometimes just like the SI ones do. I love SteelJan to death, but when she bounces them around to show that they won't leak it's a bit misleading.
    --Cleaning them is a PIA. Getting the silicon cap off is difficult. After that, it's not much easier. In the instruction vid on GotVapes, the guy just turns it over and knocks it on the table to get the metal element out. In Real Life, I have to get needle-nosed pliers and fight with it to yank it out. Every time. Hate it.
    --Refilling them is a pain compared to SI clearos. With SIs, you just unscrew the top and drip in the nicquid. With the Phoenixes, I have to load a syringe. Before doing that, I have to check the juice bottle. If the opening isn't big enough (which it usually isn't) I have to pour some juice into the bottle-cap before loading the syringe. This tends to be messy and wasteful. Then you have to clean the syringe--and the bottlecap.

Bottom line, I'll use these for liquids that I suspsect will crack the current SI clearos, but not for day-to-day vaping. They are a good product, but just not worth the hassles for me. I, like many others here, am waiting for that soon-to-be-released new clearomizer from SI.

2. CatLady007

CatLady007 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2011
    FL Panhandle
    Thanks for the detailed report, TK.

3. Mroutlaw

Mroutlaw Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I love the Phoenix.
    Yes, it is a pain to fill with the needle, but that's what help with not leaking.

If you fill them wrong, they will leak. I use them exclusively on the road and use the si clearos at home. I refill at least twice a day and have not had a drop on my battery.

For the record, I am a landscaper and use these all day at work. They get banged around and dropped and nothing has happened. I can not carry the si clearos at work because they will leak and these dont.

Everything has problems and needs improvements, but if given the choice of a phoenix (ce3) or a poly fill cartomizer, I will take the ce3. You know how myth juice you have, it doesn't burn and has great flavor delivery.

Also, the easiest way to get the silicone cup out is put your need in the fill hole, angle it a little and slowly pull it out. Then wiggle the post a little and turn upside down like in the video

4. ThreadKiller

Feb 19, 2012
    AGFFA
    Glad they're workin' out so well for you. I figured that different people would have different experiences.
    I just haven't quite had the same experience.

I would like to clarify that mine haven't leaked onto the battery constantly. Just no less and no more than the SI ones. Strangely enough, the leak onto the battery and the nicquid in the mouth almost never happen right after filling. Usually happens after about 3/4 of the nicquid is gone. They're both just once-in-a-while things, but they are slightly annoying to me with both clearos.

As you said, you can bounce them around and they won't break since it's a more flexible plastic. That's a really nice feature. I haven't dropped any yet (knock on wood), but unless I step on it I don't see how I could break it.

There are trade-offs when using either the Phoenix or the SI clearos. For me, those trade-off cancel each other out, so I'll stick with the SI ones for most vaping and the Phoenix for the more volatile concoctions. That way, I don't have to choose, I can use both. :)

Just a little note: I have never filled these in any way except for the way they show in the vid.

5. Mroutlaw

Mroutlaw Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yes, I use both too. Both have their good and bad points. IMAGINE said that SI will be getting ce3's that don't need a syringe, so that would eliminate one of the issues.

A hint with your auto and the phoenix not work, unscrew it just a hair and try.

Also, you mentioned a buildup of vapor even when you stop puffing on the x2. Here is what I noticed. On a manual one, when you let go of the button, it stays lit and continues to fire the Atty for a half of second or so. To compensate, I let go of the button and then continue to vape for another second. It helps with condensation buildup. If we don't puff that vapor that is still in the airway, it will condensate on the battery top. With an auto, when you stop vaping, the atty stops firing, but there is still some vapor in the airway. There is no way to get it out, so it goes to the battery. This is only an issue with a clear since you have a direct path from your mouth to the battery terminal. With a traditional poly fill carto, it doesn't happen. I have experienced this with other companies too, not just smokeless image.

Anyway, I agree,there are drawbacks to the Phoenix and the SI clearomizer (vision). I think they compliment each other. If I didn't vape on the road so much,mi would probably only use the clearomizer, especially when the new ones that won't crack come out. Both are better than poly fill cartos and carto tanks though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. kia2

kia2 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    USA
    I agree with about everything you've said, TK, with similar experiences. A couple of things I noted:

My Phoenix cartos never leaked - that I could tell. I didn't get the 808 Phoenix cartos, they weren't there yet. I had to buy an 808 to 501 adapter. The adapter and Phoenix work well on my batteries. If the Phoenix leaked, it was into the adapter and not on my battery. I get the standard thread gunk when I clean the adapter, and seems there could be a little liquid too, I just can't tell.

I hate filling with the syringe. Absolutely hate it. The bottles my liquids are in, the tip is a little larger than the syringe, and the syringe does not move smoothly to draw the liquid. The resulting mess is, well, a mess. I figure I'm wasting just as much liquid, if not more, by using the syringe as I do when I drip and get liquid in the center tube. I also note the hole for the needle in the Phoenix carto is very difficult to see, and it seems to get bigger - from first fill forward. I've had a drop or two of liquid in the mouthpiece, and it is a pain.

I use the Phoenix only with my X2 manuals. I've used it with my 78's, I actually preferred my regular cartos with the 78's. I think the Phoenix was mainly built with the idea of replacing clearos and not cartos.

The vape from the Phoenix seems... less. The vapor is there - a lot of it. The vape itself doesn't feel as satisfactory to me, feels like I really need to draw more to get the same fulfillment. However, I do still like it. I prefer it with the regular tip, but the tip provided isn't bad. I think I'd rather like one of those other nice, fancy drip tips if I'm going to go that route.

The flavor makes a very warm vape. If you don't like your vapes really warm, not a good choice. And, that adapter gets really super warm, sometimes too warm and I have to set the X2 and Phoenix aside. However, my Espresso liquid works very well, though tastes a little weaker. Espresso was made to be warm anyway, right?

Also, I've gotten a very distinct metallic flavor when the Phoenix is first filled and vaped. I couldn't place my finger on it until someone else mentioned a solder taste, and that is exactly what it tastes like to me, burnt metal (in a full Phoenix). Ick.

My biggest con for these tank cartomizers is the amount of liquid I go through. I will vape the Phoenix dry quickly, which means dealing with that syringe again. I use XL carto's on my 650 X2's, and have 5 different flavors going at once. I like trading off between them. The trading off is easy enough for the Phoenix as well, and probably a lot easier, but I'm still partial to my standard and XL cartos. I will look forward to SI's version, though, and it is supposed to be syringe free, which would be a big improvement.

And, same as you, TK, I've only filled the Phoenix in the same way as in the video, vertically upside down.

7. ThreadKiller

Feb 19, 2012
    AGFFA
    Can't wait for the new SI ones! I don't really care to deal with multiple hardware vendors anyway.

I've been doing what you mentioned with the manuals and inhaling after I let go of the button. It doesn't get rid of the problem, but it does happen less.

I don't know if I'm ever going back to regular cartos. In the beginning I told myself that I wasn't going to get into "that goofy stuff" with clearomizers, fluxomizers and all that stuff but now I won't go back to the old stuff. Go figure. I also told myself I wouldn't get all goofy with exotic flavors. I find myself eating my words alot when it comes to this vaping stuff. lol

8. kia2

Mar 4, 2012
    USA
    Oh, and I've dropped mine. Lots. :unsure: No breakage yet - of the Phoenix or my X2. I don't like how often I have knocked them off the table, I'm getting truly sloppy in my old age.

9. kia2

Mar 4, 2012
    USA
    I don't like to admit it, but I do it too. Thing is, I have this huge stash of blank standard cartos. And a huge collection of regular batteries. I now prefer my X2's, but still use the 65's and 78's on occasion. And I do still like the vape from the regular or XL cartos. Standard cartos do not work well on an X2, however. the XL carto works on the X2, but better on a 650 than a 1300. Meh. I am soooo fickle.

However, I tend to agree that I'm really wanting SI's version of the tank cartomizer to be the one to beat all others. I find myself very loyal to SI, and I don't like using other vendors, either. If Imagine hadn't given the blessing for using others' liquids, I wouldn't be so guilt free as I am in using other liquids.

10. ThreadKiller

Feb 19, 2012
    AGFFA
    Yeah, I'm figuring alot of this is just a matter of personal taste. Lots of people actually don't mind doing the syringe stuff and probably do it clean and efficient. I have found that I am just not one of those people. :)
    Some people are going through SI clearos because of breakage or whatever, while I'm still using the first ones I purchased in April and they're working just fine, except for the one that fell apart on me because of the corrosive juice.

I find it funny that we vapers have different experiences with the same equipment.

I never had the metallic taste thing you did. Or, my taste buds are so shot that I don't notice. It seems you had more issues with it than I did. :)

I just got spoiled with the SI ones where I could just fill and vape in a matter of moments (more or less).

I'm glad I tried the Phoenix 808s. I'll have a use for them. They're a good product IMO, just not working out for me as well as I'd hoped. I'm hoping not to purchase more because I have really high hopes about the new SI clearos that I can't seem to stop mentioning. (hint, hint, Imagine). But, if I need a durable clearo, I'd buy them again. Five of them for about $12 is pretty darn good.

11. ThreadKiller

Feb 19, 2012
    AGFFA
    You're not getting old--you're fermenting. ;)

12. ThreadKiller

Feb 19, 2012
    AGFFA
    You can be fickle if you want to. For you, it's allowed. ;)

I still have about 75 regular cartos from one of the contests I won. They're like 6mg chocolate or something. I don't like the chocolate much and 6mg does nothing for me. I've cleaned a bunch and used them with other juices, but I don't think I'll ever use these other ones.

13. kia2

Mar 4, 2012
    USA
    Awww, thanks, Tk. :wub:

14. ThreadKiller

Feb 19, 2012
    AGFFA
    Anytime for you, dear. :blush:

15. cindycated

cindycated ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh, man - I am soooooo sick of cleaning poly-filled cartos! :grr:
    The more excited I get about these clearos coming out, the more tired I get of cleaning regular cartos, and how the flavor drops off after a just few puffs. Sooo ready to switch!

16. ThreadKiller

Feb 19, 2012
    AGFFA
    You know, Cindy, this whole thread is your fault, right?

17. cindycated

Jul 19, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey, you started it! My new obsession is your fault! :laugh:

Seriously, I'm getting so picky and unforgiving with my used cartos now. Hopefully the new stuff will be out (and I'll have funds) by the time I will have thrown all of them away!

18. ThreadKiller

Feb 19, 2012
    AGFFA
    You said you were already looking into the Phoenixes when I contacted you. Don't blame me! I was just faithfully updating you on my experiences. I thought you were mad at me when you stopped PM-ing me back. lol

19. cindycated

Jul 19, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Nope, you got me started. Oh, wait...no...let's blame SteelJan! She's not here, right? :lol:
    Can never be mad at you - sorry, did I miss a PM? Thought I replied to them all.

20. ThreadKiller

Feb 19, 2012
    AGFFA
    No, I think you missed a few PMs. Since I wasn't getting any satisfaction from you anymore, I decided to open a thread. :p

I'll go with blaming SteelJan, though. Great idea! She really did kind of sell me on the things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.