Phoenix bottom coils do not like hot weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
Twice this week, I've had issues with my phoenix bottom coil clearos leaking. I'm thinking it must be because of the heat...

The first time was the other morning, I dropped my car off at the dealership and walked home. I had my PV with a phoenix attached in my purse. Halfway through the long walk I decided I wanted a vape and pulled it out. I took a drag and suddenly had juice leaking all over the place. Luckily I had some napkins to clean up my battery and a plastic baggie to put the carto in. Since it was one that I had recently taken apart to clean, I assumed I must not have seated the upper plug correctly and blamed it on that. It seemed to be working fine when back at home, though.

Then today I went to visit my grandmother and left my PV in the car, in the shade, but it was still pretty warm. (I didn't want her to see it in my purse and have to explain... She's 90 and would worry that I'm on drugs no matter what I said). I was there about 2 hours, then got in my car to leave, tried to have a vape.... Liquid all over the place again. This time I could tell that it was definitely coming out the bottom and it was a brand new phoenix that I unwrapped yesterday. Now that I'm home in the airco it's fine after cleaning it up.

Do you think the heat might cause expansion which somehow messes up the seal? In any case, if you're planning on vaping somewhere hot, bring along a different device to deliver your juice.

Fendral

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2012
Binghamton NY
I can see this making some sense. The phoenix bottom coils work on holding a partial vacuum in the tube. When the air in the tube is heated it will expand some, breaking that vacuum allowing some juice to leak out until the vacuum reestablishes itself. If this were the case, the more empty the phoenix is, the more juice will come out.

Chookychuck

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
USA, GA
Thank you for telling us Clovery :)

Twice i had a phoenix completely drain out the bottom after a quick thunderstorm moved in and it rained here. the 1st time i did not think much of it & two other phoenix's did not leak. but the second time i thought that's a big coincidence. .... i was in my basement with my windows open and it just started raining both times. Your post is interesting coz i was wondering if the quick drop in pressure causing the rain caused the phoenix to fail by losing enough vacume to lose its seal. I have it refilled now testing it and its holding liquid fine (it may a while till the next rain storm) ... also the 2nd time i only had one phoenix fail.

If that happens to anyone else please tell us coz i am not sure if the rain is coincidence or the upper seal was seated bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread