Picking the right size needles and syringes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonaked

Apr 11, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Hello all you DIYers,

So I watched MANY MANY videos on DIY e-juice. I noticed many people use the pipetts either 1 ml or 3 ml. So I ordered a doz of each. I also went to Walgreens (per the DIY videos) and got an oral syringe for larger measurements. Well when I started mixing, I found the pipetts a little hard to read as the writing is clear like the pipette itself. I also tried the oral syringe, but found that all though it was easy to read (black writting on clear) the plunger action was NOT smooth and consistent, but rather very jumpy and made getting the exact amount hard to do. :(

I then bought some regular syringes from the pharmacy for diabetics, 3ml. Although they draw nicely with smooth plunger action, the darn needle is so small (25 guage) it was almost impossible to draw anything up into the syringe. :(

So what to do?????:unsure:

Well I found an answer that worked really well for me!!!
I went to the local farm animal (horses, cows, pigs, rabbits, etc.) feed store. They have larger size needles (just the needle and protective case only) for giving shots to larger farm animals. I purchased several 18 gauge and 14 gauge needles.

I then went to my local small animal vet and purchased 1ml and 3ml small animal shot syringes (minus the needles themselves). I have found these syringes to have a very smooth drawing action that allows me to get the exact amount of liquid I need.

So the needles I got from the local farm feed and supply store, fit the syringes from the vets office. The back part of the needle or base fits all syringes, doesn't matter the size of the actual needle itself.

So what I have been using for my PG based Nic liquid, my PG, and my Flavor concentrates, is an 18 gauge needle on the vet 1ml and 3ml syringes. The syringes draw really nicely and the 18 gauge hole in the needle allows me to draw the fluids right up.

For my VG since it is SO much thicker, I have been using the 14 gauge needle with the vet 1ml and 3ml syringes. Again, the syringes draw up very nicely and the larger 14 gauge hole allows the MUCH thicker VG to draw right up into the syringe.

So the OCD part of me coming out, I use one 18 gauge needle and one each of the 1ml and 3ml syringes for my PG with Nic. I have marked them with an "N" so I don't use them for anything else. I do the same for the PG, Flavor, and VG. This means I have three 18 gauge needles with protective cases and three 1ml and three 3ml syringes (PG w/ Nic, PG, and Flavor) all marked with either "N", "PG", "FL". I have one 14 gauge needle and one each of the 1ml and 3ml syringes marked "VG". This keeps everything clean and separate.

For cleaning, I use 40%/vol Vodka to clean the needles and syringes. Total cost for these was a couple of bucks.

So those are my thoughts and needle/syringe tips that have worked for me. I hope this helps!!!
Please feel free to add to the thread if you have any other tips or tricks.

Shantia

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Animal Health Express

Most likely the same products your getting from your local feed store/tractor supply, and cheaper. I mix atleast 3 juices a day (flavor changer here) and those syringes will not last for long. Eventually you will get PG or VG on the syringe itself and it will start eating away the black paint for the numbers, then you'll be left with a blank syringe and either have to turn it into a CE2 tank or toss it. 100 3ml syringes with no needles is 16 bucks, yay.

I placed an order around 31 dollars, no shipping fee, but a 4.95 handling fee. Good deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread