Pilot smoking ecig in cockpit gets fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhayes

May 11, 2011
hartford ct
"(CNN) — A co-pilot smoking an electronic cigarette in the cockpit of an Air China flight caused the plane to suddenly drop 6,000 meters when he mistakenly turned off its air conditioning system. 7-13-18"

The nicotine in vapes are habit forming but with a little self control, you can wait 8-12 hours until you are on the ground again to vape:nah:

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I must say I'd like my pilot well relaxed and not on nicotine withdrawal...
Maybe he became pilot because he's a cloudchaser? :lol:

Gotta love the cockpit design where you can just essentially turn off the oxygen supply for the passengers with seemingly not much fuss about it

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I must say I'd like my pilot well relaxed and not on nicotine withdrawal...
Maybe he became pilot because he's a cloudchaser? :lol:

Gotta love the cockpit design where you can just essentially turn off the oxygen supply for the passengers with seemingly not much fuss about it

Eh who needs oxygen or AC when you can have clouuuuds............

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The air conditioning on a plane keeps an acceptable oxygen level, compressing (and heating) outside air. When the oxygen level drops the flight computer more or less vehemently suggest to drop to a height where the atmosphere has more oxygen, along dangling an oxygen mask in front of passengers.
In case the AC/cabin pressure really doesn't work.

The pilot wanted to turn off a fan that would have blown his vapor into the passenger cabin (probably causing a panic) and - butterfingers - hit the wrong switch. Not sure why the computer would accept that input, I don't know of a situation where you wouldn't want to control the air composition. Should be rare enough to not just have some average looking switch do it.

I mean you also usually can't extend the landing gear at high speeds because that's bonkers, so why can you turn off the AC at will?

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
Not sure why the computer would accept that input, I don't know of a situation where you wouldn't want to control the air composition. Should be rare enough to not just have some average looking switch do it.
Probably "Made In China" :w00t:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Why would turning off the air con cause the plane to plummet? What does that have to do with vaping? Sounds to me like he was fire for being a bad pilot.
He turned off the wrong switches --oops

"A senior official from the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) told reporters Friday that, without notifying the pilot, the unnamed co-pilot was trying to turn off air recycling fans to prevent the vapor from spreading into the passenger cabin.

Instead, he toggled the wrong switches, which were close to his intended target, leading to a drop in oxygen levels that triggered altitude warnings."

(source Officials: Vaping Co-Pilot Caused Plane to Plummet)

and they are in big trouble (rightfully so)
"
Qiao Yibin, the CAAC official, promised to hand down “severe punishment in accordance with laws and regulations,” if the regulator’s final conclusion on the incident matches its initial finding.

Air China fired the entire flight deck crew and suggested CAAC revoke their pilot’s licenses upon completing its investigation, the country’s flag carrier said Friday night in a statement."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread