PIPA and SOPA Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/11/protect-ip-act-very-real-very-bad-call-now-block-it

T
hese bills will allow the government to sensor the internet in America. As citizens, we can not allow this. I urge you all to contact your representatives and tell them that you are a geek with friends. And those friends have friends. If they vote for this bill, they will not be receiving your votes in their upcoming elections. An email just wont cut it, you must pick up the phone, and make the calls, and/or send them a letter in the mail. Emails just get lost in the shuffle, but hundreds of envelopes can't be ignored. Tell everyone you know in your community about this, and let's not let these two bills get passed. PIPA is the more urgent of the two right now. There's still time to stop this.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Thought I'd go back and look to see if there were any replies, now that ECF has finally caught up with me. I'm kind of disappointed in the replies. Makes me think that nobody around here really cares about our freedoms.

Running Wolf, you're absolutely right. I couldn't help but think about that since I first heard about these things. In all honesty, I don't think these bills will pass. However, we do need to be proactive about it. I'm urging all of you to do something.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
I care very much. (note the avatar) I just haven't been posting on these forums in a while. I'm doing everything I can from signing polls, emailing higher ups, sharing links on facebook, etc. to get awareness up. I'm so glad that ECF has posted the information at the top of the page. I'm also very happy with the blackout, it's gotten a lot of media attention.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
MSNBC tonight highlighted 2 or 3 Congressional proponents of the bill who featured copyrighted and unauthorized images on their web sites.

Nice to know about the huge volume of feedback our representatives have received in regard to this bill (thanks to Google, Wikipedia, and many others). It has come to light that many of these proponents hadn't bothered to actually READ the bill before endorsing it, and most are strongly backpeddling on their support of it.

Good news is that as a result of the massive public outcry, the bills are likely doomed. :)

Last edited:

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Glad to see some responses finally. These bills were doomed from the start by public outcry. However, the public is not always aware of these things. Awareness, is key, and I'm pleased that it's finally gotten the attention it deserved. A couple of months ago, I was fearful that they would fly under the radar, so I'd been doing what I can to get the word out. Ignorance of legislation will be our downfall. To be quite honest, I believe that's why things in the US are the way they are today. We had such a long time of good fortune, that people just didn't care to pay attention. The future is in our hands now.

lefthooked

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2011
Cape Coral, Florida
ACTA_protest_by_members_of_the_Polish_parliament.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread