Pipebomb log mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
Well I didnt manage to snap any pix while making it but here is the finished product:

I used parts from madvapes (801 connector, 5v regulator chip, battery terminals, switch) batteries from battery junction (3.0v cr123a LiFePO4 batteries) and 2 3/4in brass caps and 1 2.5in 3/4 brass nipple.

The hardest part was drilling the atty hole since I have no vice. Putting it all together was quite easy since I needed no terminal for the bottom cap, I just have the positive side down. Atty connector was going to be press fitted but I couldnt get a perfect sized hole so its glued but works great. No master switch but if I unscrew both ends a bit that does the job just fine.

I made this mainly from being sick of using a 4x AA cube with some nimh batteries. Ugly as sin but worked fine.

All said and done this cost around 40 dollars but I have 6 batteries and enough parts to make a 501 mod with copper pipe (easier to drill and lighter for the wife)

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA
Nice mod Extremeodd. Looks very sturdy. Vent holes should turn it into a pipe Rocket rather then a Pipe Bomb. We hope.

try to get through airport security with it.
"Sir. What is this?"
"It's a personal vaporizer called a pipebomb. It's used to...." (Unconsciousness follows)
Very funny. LoL

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
Well the batteries I have shouldnt blow up... According to them atleast. Im not calling it the pipebomb, its just what everyone around me has called it hah. Got questioned by security at a concert yesterday over it but they thought it was a pipe. Need to find a better way to keep the connector in, it keeps popping out.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I was thinking the same thing.
It's got a rugged, he-mannish appearance, but try to get through airport security with it.

"Sir. What is this?"
"It's a personal vaporizer called a pipebomb. It's used to...." (Unconsciousness follows)

Heh, yeah, and they'll probably think you said "personnel vaporizer". 8-o (Unconsciousness is followed by full cavity search and addition to the DNF list)

Last edited:

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA
Well the batteries I have shouldnt blow up... According to them atleast. Im not calling it the pipebomb, its just what everyone around me has called it hah. Got questioned by security at a concert yesterday over it but they thought it was a pipe. Need to find a better way to keep the connector in, it keeps popping out.

Good choice on those Batteries. I need some of those myself for this mod I`m fixing to make. When you say connector I`m thinking you mean the connector for the atty. Can you get to it from the inside and epoxy possibly or JB Weld around it? It will hold it good I believe from the backside. But will be there for good after that..

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
Well the chip I got is kinda fubar so I decided to just go for 6v vaping, the metal base of the chip was connected to one of the prongs inside or something and kept shorting on the cap or something. Anyways I got my 2nd 801 connector to pop into the hole so it should stay very secure. KISS is one of the best guidelines to go off of.

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
Wow I didn't even notice that:lol:. Needed a good laugh, got pulled over by the same cop who has pulled me over for dumb stuff 4 times now in the past 4 months. Not one single thing has stuck either. I kept the ecig in my pocket and didn't mention it at all since I have been arrested for it before (he didn't pull me over that time but was the 2nd officer on scene). Well not it, my juice actually. Watch out nicotine juice very easily can test positive in a road side reagent test. However almost anything will, they are absolutely terrible tests. Anything from chocolate to oregano will set em off. Heck in a few cases even open air did!

Anyways to get back on topic, I think Im liking 6v vaping. Its taken a little getting used to but I had been using 4x AAs so I was at 5v already.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
For long term reliability the connector fit needs to be tight. For the nxt one you make drill the hole just a little undersized. A vice is nice but you probably just held it in a pair of vicegrips with some cloth padding? To ream the hole to final size use an old pair of scissors (right tool for the right job is my motto). Takes a little practice to catch the edge of one of the blades of the scissors and go around the hole. Be careful and hold both objects firmly.

Ditto on the vent hole(s) in the bottom around the point your positive contact touches.
You can even sand off some of the threads on the bottom end of the nipple to make it weaker than the top end. There is a lot more strength in the threads than needed.
Good job on the mod.

Rocket

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
Well it seems to be holding together, on a 3ft accidental drop the connector popped out (atty attached) and I was able to simply push it back in. It holds well enough, not bad for my first "tube" style mod. Im not too worried about a venthole due to how the atty connector is in place. One: It doesn't have the best hold in the world, Two: the connector hole is out of round so air does escape easily (placing bottom of cap in mouth and blowing) so pressure cannot build up.

Also the switches I got from madvapes (MVSWPBRD Push Button Switch -- Red) are garbage. Well they do fine, but are very cheaply made. The button goes over a metal sleeve like a cap, the metal sleeve is either machined or more likely molded very poorly. Both have ridges that this buttoncapthingy catches and stays depressed, or when button is depressed it catches them and doesnt turn on. Makes a crack sound when it pops off of a ridge as well, sounds almost like an electrical arc (thought I shorted it once, or my atty popped). Then again I could of gotten a bad batch... who knows.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
People should note that for a 5V regulated mod those 3V LiPO's are not a good choice. Better off with a pair of 3.7V batts. A quality 5V regulator like the Texas Instrument ones (they always output 5V, then just quit) need at least 5.5V+ to operate at a consistent 5V.

A pair of those batts are nice choice for those with Joye atties though as they provide 5.18V loaded (vaping) on their own. No regulator needed.

Tenergy_3vLiPo.JPG

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
Huh nice, havent been able to test loaded voltage since I have no way to get to the center pin. My AA mod only dropped like half a volt or so. The hits seem quite hard and Ive popped 2-3 of my older attys on it (Im guessing since they were gunked up it was simply not heating up on one part and the thermal expansion difference broke em)

Nice to know!

Last edited:

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
Well Ive had to replace the button since the madvapes one failed on me. I used a tactile switch from an old cable descrabler, working fine except for I think its shorting and shocking me. Ill take a drag (no mouth piece) and get a flash of light across my vision. Ive noticed a small flash if I stick my tongue to a 9v. I need to find one of my mouth pieces... May also be connecting through my hand some how via my ring but I doubt it. Not sure how the current could go across the body of atty to my lips instead of simply shorting inside but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread