Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Ironclad by Vaptio

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape reviews. Today I will be going over the Ironclad kit by Vaptio. This device is a simple, straight wattage device, which works on the same principle of several stick style devices out there. It features a 2600mah battery, 50w max output, and tri-color LEDS for battery and other misc. notifications. Let’s get right to it and look at the functions, the included Frogman C tank, and as always, I will give my final thoughts down at the bottom.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Vaptio for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 – Ironclad 2600mah battery
  • 1 – Frogman C tank (w/ 6ml bubble glass)
  • 1 - .2-ohm mesh coil
  • 1 - .2-ohm strip coil
  • 1 – Spare
  • 1 – Spare 6ml bubble glass)
  • 1 – USB charging cable
  • Paperwork

- Available in black, gray, green, red, orange, and blue.

STOCK SHOT
oigRg8K.jpg

PACKAGING
2NcNtSH.jpg

UNBOXED
0sdlwt3.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

When I first got my hands on this device. I was surprised at how solid it felt. The small shape, the finish, and the overall design made me feel like they put some time into this one. The shape fits right in the hand perfect for me, and the ONE button (fire) has no rattles and has a nice click to it. On the sides of the device near the fire button, you’ll see a black triangle. This is where the LEDs are. These indication battery level and other fault conditions. They can also be illuminated all the time if you choose to run it that way. This device has a 2600mah built-in battery and supports 1A charging. I found that mine took a hair over an hour from dead to fully charged. This kit also includes the new Frogman C tank. It doesn’t resemble the old Frogman in any way, so I have no clue why they rehashed the name, but either way, this offers 6ml of capacity, matches the device perfectly, and comes with two different types of mesh coils.

OPERATION

Vaptio elected to go simple on this one, and it is a breath of fresh hair from a company who has been pumping out comic book themed devices for a while now. To get started, press the fire button 5 times. At this point, you will see the LEDs go through a cycle of colors. If you want these LEDs to be on all the time (cycling colors), press the fire button 3 times. To have them only fire when using, press the fire button 3 times again. These LEDs will illuminate during a vape to show the battery level as well.

BLUE – 70-100%

GREEN – 30-69%

RED – 1-29%

Once it gets down to red, it is basically time to get to a charger. I was able to get a handful of vapes out of it with a red led on, but not much longer. At times, it would go green, red, dead. That’s about all you need to know about operation.

HOW IT VAPES

Let’s see, where do I start? To start off, the size of this device makes it pocket friendly and easy to carry everywhere. It is ergonomic and easy to use as well. I found that the battery, when paired with the Frogman C tank got me right to the end of a work day but didn’t have the battery to get me home. I would have liked to see them make this device just a hair taller and squeeze a few more mah into the battery. I have an office job, so charging this part way through the day was no big deal, so that’s what I ended up doing. I felt like the battery indication was OK but could be a little better. It seems like it sat on BLUE (70-100%) forever, then hit green (30-70) for a short while, then boom, red…. time to charge. I don’t know how they do their power calculation with the included .20-ohm coils, but it seems to have a similar feel throughout the battery. I didn’t feel a noticeable drop off until it was close to red. I tested this with the included tank only, so let’s go over that next.

FROGMAN C TANK REVIEW

This is the latest entry into Vaptio’s Frogman series of tanks. It uses a whole new coil system, screw off top refill, 6ml capacity, and has two different mesh coil options that come in this kit. I tested both coils and found their performance to be similar. I felt like I got a little better flavor off the mesh instead of the strips, but I couldn’t do a side by side to get an exact feel for them. I do believe this is the best flavor I have gotten from a Vaptio tank. This blows the previous Frogman tanks out of the water and provides a great vape. I think a big factor in the flavor aspect is their mesh coils are a bit on the spitty side. It brings me back to the Cleito days where flavor was good, but only because it mists some liquid particles along with the vapor. Regardless, it tastes good, so I can’t really fault it for that and many usually like a feeling like this. Like the other Frogman tanks before it, these coils are baby beast compatible, so that provides a ton of coil options out there. The air flow is plentiful for these coils and I found myself closing it down part way to get a little tighter draw. I like how this air flow feels, and it isn’t overly loud or turbulent. One of the faults I have found with the baby beast sized coils is life. I have never had this type of coil last if other mesh coils on the market, and this is the case here as well. Once I got to 30ml, I started to get some leaking out the bottom. If I let it sit for a couple of days, it would leak really bad and I would have to pour juice out of the air flow before I started vaping it. I still ran the coil to roughly 40ml before it was burnt tasting, but it was tough to want to use it with the leaking going on. One small con is that this tank uses a proprietary drip tip just like they did on the other Frogman tanks. It has a black Delrin material that slides over the top of a metal chimney. Other than the leaking though, the tank is dang good. I like the flavor it provides, love how it looks on this mod, and the 6ml capacity pushes refill times out a ways.

TANK PROS

• Good flavor
  • Matches mod well
  • Holds 6ml of liquid
  • Baby beast compatible coils

TANK CONS

• Leaky coils after 30ml
  • Proprietary drip tips only

PHOTO GALLERY

C0A0dms.jpg

imKzNHk.jpg

HhnVa9w.jpg

l9AFTQ8.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

So, what do I really think of the Ironclad kit? I honestly think it is one of the best products Vaptio has released in a while. I never could get behind the superhero themed devices, as that’s just bad for the image of the vaping community. This device was accurately named, as it feels much more solid than what we have been seeing from Vaptio. I like how simple it is to use, and I love the finish that is on the device. The black portion is a finger print magnet, but beyond that, I like the look of this device too. The matching Frogman C tank fits right at home on this mod as well. It performs great with the power output of the device and made it easy for me to want to grab this on my way out the door. Even with the things I do like, there are some cons. One thing I didn’t talk about before has to do with the shape of the bottom. It has an angular cut, which makes this thing a tipping hazard. I never broke the bubble glass, but don’t know how, as it tipped over multiple times. Another con is the lack of a decent battery indication combined with poor battery life. The FIRST day I had this, I was vaping away. Got to my vehicle to go home, and the red light came on and it was dead. I had no idea this was coming, as it was green and performing well and I thought I had 30% from the time the red LED came on. Not the case, as it was more like one or two puffs when red and it shut down. Another con I didn’t mention before was a raised 510. I don’t know why companies do this, but the 510 plate is elevated by a mm or so, and it leaves a slight gap under the tank. The last con has to do with the leaky coils I talked about in the tank review. Nothing worse than grabbing a mod, taking a rip, and e-liquid starts oozing all over the place. So, with all of the pros and cons out of the way, do I recommend this device? I think it will greatly depend on how hard you intend to use this. If you have battery life concerns, then this isn’t for you. If you are a casual vapor that could use this for a while and charge it, then sure, it could be for you. This is a good device for quick little jaunts around town, and the flavor from the Frogman C tank is damn good, but it just isn’t an all day carry device. That’s about all I got!

OVEN TEST
If this were to accidentally go in my pizza oven, would I go out and get another? I don't gravitate to these style devices, so it's a no for me.

PROS

• Pocket friendly
  • Solidly built
  • Great color options
  • Simple to operate
  • Good flavor from the tank
CONS

• Battery life
  • Battery indication
  • Raised 510
  • Tips over easily
  • Coils leak as they wear out (badly)

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Vaptio for sending this my way for review. I am only seeing this in stock right from Vaptio. They have it listed for $54.99, but I assume it will be getting out to more vendors as Chinese New Year just wrapped up.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread