Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Lux 200 by Coilart

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape reviews. Today I will be reviewing the Lux200 by Coilart. Coilart has been widely known for their atomizers, but every once and a while they come out with a mod. With their latest creation, they went for a more classic design, with some modern touches. The Lux is a 200w device, powered by two 18650 batteries. It features colorful, swappable doors, which are magnetically held in place. To round out the kit, they are included a resin tank which uses mesh coils. Let’s dive down, take a look at this kit, and as always, I will have my final thoughts down at the bottom.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Coilart for review.

2nd Disclaimer: I know that this company has had some representatives as of late that created a bad name due to their actions. Coilart has been nothing but professional with me, and it seems they have cleaned up the mess they have with some recent statements.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Lux 200w mod
  • 1 Lux Mesh Tank
  • 1 M4 (.15-ohm) coil
  • 1 M1 (.15-ohm) coil
  • 1 Spare Bubble Glass
  • O-rings
  • USB cable
  • Paperwork

- Available in black/black, black/blue, green/blue, white/white, and red/red. They all have colored panels which are swappable. Hopefully they offer these up as a separate purchase so one can make a custom combo…black/red anyone?!?!?!

STOCK SHOT
HtPMcgO.jpg

PACKAGING
Q8GzzCz.jpg

UNBOXED
Q8Pjrps.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

At first glance, one is instantly reminded of new resin mods like the Drag. However, when you first handle one, you will realize that the side panels, while colorful and resin looking, are essentially a smooth patterned plastic. Don’t let that deter you from the other details. The mod itself is built solidly, and has a classic, yet great feel in the hand. Both doors are removable, which aids in battery installation and removal. I noticed zero movement on the one door, but the side where the batteries are inserted does have movement. It isn’t terrible but is noticeable. The buttons feel great, and they offer no rattle. A simple detail that I like on this is that the buttons are placed in an up and down fashion instead of having smaller buttons that are side to side. The display on this device is a decent size and shows you everything you need to know. It is bright enough to see even on bright days, but not blinding bright in a dark room. This device has no menu system and is really easy to operate, so let’s get to that now.

OPERATION

For starters, this one starts up like most devices. 5 clicks of the fire button powers the Lux 200 on and off. Pressing the up and down buttons together will lock out adjustment, but the mod will still fire. The last button combo is to change modes. Since this device does not have a menu system, you will press the fire button 3 times to cycle through the options.

• Power
  • Bypass
  • TC Ti
  • TC Ni200
  • TC SS

Once you are into these modes, there are a few other options. In power mode, press the fire button 4 times to select the preheat. It has options for strong, weak, normal, and custom. Custom is an adjustable curve option which allows you to adjust in 1s increments up to 10. If you are in a TC mode, pressing the fire button 4 times will allow you to select the preheat wattage. It has a max preheat wattage of 80w.

The entire operation system has some things I like and things I don’t like. I like simple devices that aren’t complicated, so they nailed that here. Another thing they did well is scrolling in ½ watt increments. I think ½ watt is perfect and all mods should do this. The one thing I don’t like is how you 3 click through settings. The most notable is when you are in bypass and hit the button, as it fires the atomizer 3 short times. I would have rather seen a menu button on the mod or something.

HOW IT VAPES

Well, this is the part that you all really want to know. For the majority of my testing, I ran the included mesh tank. When running this tank, I found that it fires VERY fast and has a solid power output. I tested this at 120w with a rda and found it to also fire rapidly and at that full wattage with no problem. Since I get so many requests for TC operation, I built a rda with 24g SS round wire to test. In short, this temp control is excellent. It feels like the temperature setting selected and is ramps down as it should. I could feel the cotton getting dry, but it tapered the output down enough to prevent a massive dry hit. With no liquid left on the cotton I had minor browning of the cotton. Basically, the Eagle chip in this mod is really good, and it flat out performs. Like I said above, I ran the included tank a fair amount with this mod, so let’s cover that now.

LUX MESH TANK REVIEW

Like most companies these days, Coilart decided to place a mesh coiled sub-ohm tank on their mod. The AFC and top cap are covered in resin, and this makes the thing BIG. The tank itself, isn’t massive. I couldn’t find any info on this, but I assume it holds somewhere around 5ml? The coils that came in the kit are the single mesh M1, and the quad mesh M4. Both took an eternity to break in. I ran through 1 ½ or 2 tanks before I felt that the cotton could keep up and I was getting the best flavor. I ran the M1 coil around 70w and the M4 coil around 100w. The flavor from the M4 slightly edges the M1 and offers a bit more restricted air flow like we normally see with multi-core coils. While the flavor from these coils isn’t terrible, it is nowhere near as good as others on the market. All my liquids just felt like they were missing something. It didn’t bring out the best in my vape and left me rather disappointed. Another thing I didn’t like about this tank is the AFC. Mine was very stiff, even when I lubed it up with e-liquid. This tank is not one of my favorites at all. It is big, kind of ugly, and doesn’t provide a very good vape.

TANK PROS

• Matches the mod
  • Nice sized fill ports

TANK CONS

• Flavor is lacking
  • AFC is hard to adjust
  • Tank is large
  • Capacity gets used up fairly quick (even more with M4 coil)

PHOTO GALLERY

eND37cY.jpg

2acabqD.jpg

TPTlh0d.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

So, what do I really think of this kit? The mod is pretty damn legit. I like the classic look of the mod. It comes in some nice-looking colors, and it feels solidly built as well. I like how the buttons are configured and the display shows everything I need it to. The Eagle chip performs wonderfully and provides great vaping in wattage or TC modes. What I don’t like about this mod are some minor things. It is on the large side, and the boxy shape isn’t the most ergonomic in the world. The battery door rattles a little bit, but it isn’t a deal breaker. The biggest con to me is non-menu system. Scrolling through with the fire button and actually firing the thing is annoying and would be coil killing if you were to be rocking some smaller coils on top and hit the button 3 times in bypass. Another con that I didn’t mention above is the coil sensing adjustment. (This is gone in the new firmware update, but I want to mention for those who can’t update). When you place a new atomizer on the mod, or change batteries, the mod automatically looks at the resistance and sets the wattage to what it “thinks” is the right setting. Super annoying, but at least it is gone with the new firmware update. The tank that came in this kit didn’t impress me much at all. I think it is kind of ugly, and I am just not a huge fan of resin tanks in general. The flavor it provides isn’t great, and one of the only pros is it matches the mod well. So, with that being said, would I suggest the kit? No. However, I definitely suggest this mod. It performs so well, that I can’t really bash it too heavily. The cons that it has are minimal and not noticed once you just sit and use the thing.

OVEN TEST: If this were to fall into the pizza oven, would I go out and get another? This would definitely be one I would consider. I like it, but there might be some others I would pick instead.

PROS

• Classic style
  • Solid chip performance
  • Solidly built
  • Nice color options

CONS

• No menu system
  • Bit boxy
  • Included tank is meh
  • Slight battery door rattle

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Coilart for sending it my way for review! I am seeing this one online for about $85.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread