Pizza Dave Delivers - A Mech Mod Review - The Mage V2.0 Stacked Edition by Coilart

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

******DISCLAIMER – Mechanical mods are for advanced vapors only. This has the ability to be a series stacked device, which makes this even more fierce. Please have a solid understanding of ohms law, battery safety, and mechanical mod maintenance before using a device like this. ******

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews. Today I will be going over the Coilart Mage V2 Stacked Edition mechanical mod. This single or dual-series mechanical mod is compatible with 18650 (via adapter), 20700, or 21700 batteries. It features an auto adjusting fire button, so the button will be flush with the bottom of the device (similar to a Vgod or Karma mech). I will get into more details below, so let’s just dive right in, shall we?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Sourcemore for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• Coilart Mage V2 Stacked Edition Mech Mod
  • Base Section – For single battery operation
  • Stacked Section – For series, stacked operation
  • 2 18650 battery sleeves
  • 2 Series Discs
  • Extra Springs for firing and auto-adjustment
  • Gold and Silver button contacts

- Available in black

STOCK SHOT
3v4QASs.jpg

PACKAGING
iuDCnXQ.jpg

UNBOXED
PrgVYxv.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

Alright, so what we have here is an entry level mech mod. It has a buyer friendly price point, has the ability to be used as either a single or dual battery device, and for the price, is actually built pretty well. The sections of this mod feel solid, and the knurled design gives this a great feel. The inside of the tube is lined with some sort of plastic, which is there as a safety barrier, should you have some tears in the batteries. I will never suggest running any vaping device with torn wraps but having this protection is a nice feature. Like I said above, this can be used as a single battery mod. In this configuration, it will measure in at roughly 25mm wide and 91mm tall. In stacked mode, it will be roughly 200mm tall, give or take. The kit comes with all of the necessary parts you will need to keep this device running for a long time. It has two series adapters, which are essentially rubber disks with a contact in the center. They can be a bit funky to push into the mod since they have a bit of a vacuum/pressure effect, but they stay firmly in place. It also has two extra springs, one for the fire button, and one for the adjusting ring on the fire button. Both appear to have the same spring tension. The last spare component is a gold-plated contact for the fire button. Out of the box, a silver-plated contact (or some sort of silver metal) is pre-installed in the button. The last bit of parts that come with this are battery adapters for 18650 batteries. Use of 20700 or 21700 batteries require no adapter.

HOW IT VAPES

So, what do I think of this device? I have had a handful of mech mods from different brands, but this is my first series mech. Instead of diving head first into stacking, I elected to use this as a single cell mod. My first build was a .15-ohm fused Clapton. It worked as expected, and with a single Samsung 30T, performance was excellent. It felt like it hit really well, and quickly became one of my favorite mechs I have used. My second build was a .13-ohm stapled fused Clapton and performance was great with this as well. I ran this same build on a Plan B Collab box (parallel 21700), and it didn’t hit nearly as hard as the Mage. After dabbling with single battery operation for a while, I did some building for higher resistance and felt it was time to try it stacked. ***Small disclaimer. If using in series, exercise some battery knowledge and use married batteries for safety**** I went for a .30-ohm fused Clapton build in my newly acquired Terk V2 rda. Insert Keanu Reeves saying “Whoa”! The firing of this is downright violent. I totally get why guys love to rock series now, as it is pretty amazing. The vapor production and ramp up is ridiculous. I didn’t run it a lot in this fashion, as it is just too much for me for regular use, but it is definitely fun to play with. Alright, so we know it hits well, but let’s look at some of the other characteristics of the mod. The overall build quality of the mod is well done, but they took some short cuts with the fire button. It is very soft to press and is easily one of the softest mechanical buttons I have used to date. If this were to get set down on an uneven surface where the button could be pressed, the weight of the mod itself will go in and it will fire. This is even worse in stacked mod, as the weight of two 21700s adds some heft to it. I felt much worse when I first got the mod, as the bottom protruded out slightly. I disassembled it to take a look at the springs and inside of the fire button and found that when I reassembled it was flush. I found that the thread on contacts (silver or gold) can come undone slightly and this will make the button stick down. This is something the user will always want to keep tabs on for safety, as once it is snug in place, the bottom of the mod is flush, and the button cannot be pressed by accident as easily.

PHOTO GALLERY

Y2asBMH.jpg

DLTQwJj.jpg

0S8sCQH.jpg

Q6Pk7T5.jpg

FsqZg95.jpg

evYOBSk.jpg

1iKShfr.mp4

FINAL THOUGHTS

So…. what do I think of the Coilart Mage V2 Stacked Edition? I totally dig it. It works well as a single battery mech, but also has the option to be an impressive stacked mod. 21700 batteries a huge pro, as the better 21700s on the market offer a higher CDR than 18650s and they hit much harder thanks to a reduced voltage drop. Comparing this next to a higher end 18650 mod makes me never want to touch that 18650 again. Other things that Coilart got right are the styling, and the diameter. The matte black with knurling matches several of my atomizers to a tee, and I love that I can go up to a 25mm without overhang. Build quality of the tubes feel solid, and everything threads together very nice for something that is in this price point. Like I said in my how it vapes section, one of my only grips is the spring tension of the fire button. The whole button itself seems rather cheap, and a bit too soft for my liking. Sure, these springs can be upgraded, but it made me feel a bit uncomfortable firing a stacked mech mod with the slight pressure it takes to push this button in. Other than the soft fire button though, this as a lot to offer. It is great that one can get a nice single battery mech, but also have the stacking option if they want a serious bump in power. The kit comes with all the spares one would need to keep this maintained for a long time and I can see myself using this one for a very long time. If you are interested in getting into mechs, but don’t want to spend a ton of money, look no further.

PROS

• 18650, 20700, and 21700 compatible
  • Nice styling
  • Single or series operation
  • Machined well for the price
  • Hits well
  • Low price point

CONS

• Button is a bit too soft for me
  • Button assembly feels rather cheap

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Sourcemore for sending this my way for review. They have it listed for $45.99, which is one of the lowest prices I have seen online.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread