Pizza Dave Delivers - A Pod System Review - The Frenzy by Geekvape

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone, Pizza Dave here, delivering you a review of the Frenzy pod system by Geekvape. I know what you are thinking. This is an orion clone. I don’t think I could argue much there, as that is the style at which this, and several other pod systems are styled after. We see this all the time in the industry, so I am not going to really hold it against Geekvape. There are quite a few differences also, so saying it is a clone would be a false statement. Now that my mini rant is out of the way, let’s talk about the Frenzy. This is a 950mah pod system featuring a compact form factor, 2 ml refillable pods, changeable coils, and also has temp control. I am not an Orion user, so this review is solely based on how this stands up on its own. Let’s get right to it.

DISCLAIMER: This device and liquid was sent to me by Geekvape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Frenzy 950mah battery
  • 1 Freznzy 2.0ml pod
  • 1 .7-ohm mesh coil
  • 1 1.2-ohm SS316l coil
  • 1 USB cable

Paperwork (I didn’t get anything with my sample, but I assume manuals and such will be included)

Available in gold, blue, black, and silver frames with carbon fiber accents. Also available with black frames and resin panels that are blue, black/red, black/gray, and red swirls.

STOCK SHOT
sWc5EXg.jpg

SAMPLE PACKAGING
27pXKmC.jpg

OUT OF BOX
zqUUfFk.jpg

OPERATION

The Geekvape Frenzy is a simple pod system that anybody can pick up and start using with just knowing a few basic things. Like most devices, clicking the fire button five times will turn the device on and off, clicking the fire button three times will change the output level, and clicking the fire button two times will indicate battery level. Bear with me, as I had no manuals, so all of my information is from their site and through use.

Since the Frenzy has temp control, the output level is changed in two different ways. With the mesh coil installed, voltage output will change as indicated by the LED.

• GREEN – 2.9V
  • BLUE – 2.7V
  • WHITE – 2.5V
With the stainless steel 1.2-ohm coil installed, the device will automatically detect this, and then be in temp control, the selection works the same as voltage output as follows:

• GREEN – 460 degrees F
  • BLUE – 440 degrees F
  • WHITE – 420 degrees F
As I mentioned above, clicking the fire button two times will indicate the battery level via the same LED.

• GREEN – above 70%
  • BLUE – 30-70%
  • RED – less than 30%

This system is simple. It works well, and is easy to use. I never found myself fumbling around with settings or viewing the battery level and the LED is nice and bright so it can be seen on the brightest of days. Small adder here, but charging the device also has some LED indications. It will blink red when below 70%, blink green when above 70%, and turn solid green when fully charged.

PODS / COILS

The Frenzy utilizes 2ml pods, which are able to be purchases separately. The pods seem kind of large, but the reservoir is only on the top portion of the pod and consists of dark tinted plastic. They are a bit dark for viewing level, but held up to a light and it can be seen just fine. I never felt like I was blind to the level during refills or during use. As far as refills go, this is done via a bottom fill port. There is a tab which pops open with ease to reveal two fill ports. One allows air to escape while the other is being filled. It works well, as long as bottle tips aren’t too large. Dropper bottles would be a no go, but most nic salt bottles are make with either small tipped droppers, or smaller plastic tips, so I don’t see it being a huge issue.

Along with being a pod based system, Geekvape elected to utilize their flint coils and make them replaceable as well. The coils are easy to swap, with a quick turn of the base, then pull. The coils are threaded into the base and all sealed up with silicone o-rings.

AIRFLOW

The Frenzy utilizes bottom air flow, which is at the base of the pod and exposed on the sides of the device. It features a knurled adjustment ring for easy grip, and can be turned up and down to your liking. The AFC on this is snug, but turns nice and smooth. It is oddly satisfying to adjust. The bottom air flow design is smooth and offers a varying range from a tighter MTL to a loose MTL/ tight direct lung draw. The draw of the .7-ohm mesh coils is more open than the 1.2-ohm, so MTL purists will probably gravitate to the 1.2-ohm over the .7-ohm mesh. Fans of the Orion will probably gravitate towards the .7-ohm mesh coils, but this is still a bit more restricted than the Orion. Like I said in the intro, I am not an Orion user. I have tried one a bit for comparison, but not something I personally use.

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

NYAbdX0.jpg

KKJCD9D.jpg

0E2wcqT.jpg

eZrQhR0.jpg

OEWoTMN.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

When I received the Frenzy, I wasn’t expecting a lot. I assumed it would be a similar vape to the Flint since it uses the same coil and what not, but once I vaped it, I was pleasantly surprised. This is officially my favorite pod system to date. The flavor is excellent, the build quality is stellar, and I struggled to find cons with the device. It ticks every box for what I look for in a device. It has adjustable power output, it has multi-stage battery indication, and has the capacity and battery life to get me through a full workday. Along with all of these solid attributes, the coils have shown decent life. I used some sweeter liquid during my testing and still got 5 or 6 refills (10-12ml) before the flavor started to lack and wicking wouldn’t keep up due to the burning of the crud within. This seems to be par for the course with many pods out there, and it could be extended with some more pure e-liquid with less sweetener. As for individual coil performance, I felt like the .7-ohm mesh to be more my jam than the 1.2-ohm coils. I ran both of the coils on the highest output setting all the time, but there is definitely a noticeable range that is felt throughout the spectrum of adjustment with both. The 1.2-ohm is going to offer a tighter draw and would be the one I would point someone towards if they are using this to switch from cigarettes, but for me, the .7 is what I like. I honestly don’t know what I would list for cons. One might be the refill method. The Orion refill top cap is much more convenient than the flapper on the bottom of this. The pod could also have a little less tint, as level can be tough to see in a darker room. One last con for some might be the fixed in place drip tip, so what you get is what you get. Pretty miniscule cons in my opinion, and none of them are deal breakers. I am going to load up on .7-ohm coils (personal preference) and use the hell out of this into the future.

THE OVEN TEST

If this one accidentally went into the pizza oven, would I go out and buy another? The way it sits now, YES. It is my new favorite pod system.

PROS

• Good flavor
  • Good capacity – lasted me 1.5 work days before refill
  • Decent battery life – needed a charge partway through the 2nd day of work, but charges relatively quick. I didn’t time it, but seemed like a little over 1 hour
  • I can keep saying good in front of everything
  • Solid build quality
  • Nice color options

CONS

• Tinted pods don’t allow the easiest view of liquid in darker rooms
  • Refill method requires smaller tipped bottles
  • Drip tip is not interchangeable

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Geekvape for sending this product for review. If you are interested in picking one up, I am seeing them pop up online for about $25-35.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread