Pizza Dave Delivers - A Pod System Review - The Lyra by Lost Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone, and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape reviews and today I will be going over the Lyra by lost vape. This device is the latest pod system released by Lost Vape’s Quest line of devices. The Lyra is a compact device with adjustable power output, replaceable coils, a fixed air flow, and fires via a button. I will get into more details below, so let’s get right to it.

DISCLAIMER: This device was sent to me by Lost Vape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Lost Vape Lyra
  • 1 2ML Pod
  • 1 Lyra Mesh coil (.6-ohm)
  • 1 Lyra Standard coil (1.2-ohm)
  • 1 Lanyard
  • 1 Micro USB charging cable
  • Paperwork

This is available in a boatload of colors and color combinations that I won’t fully list here, as there are several. It comes in Green, silver, rainbow, black, and blue frames. From there, they feature patterns or leather inserts on the front and back. All of them have a stainless steel looking fire button.

STOCK SHOT
9oAfi20.jpg

PACKAGING
gxcwaWQ.jpg

OUT OF BOX
c05amqZ.jpg

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The Lyra is a fairly generic pod system. It utilizes a fire button in lieu of an inhale-activated switch. It also offers variable power and features a 1000mah battery. The pods hold 2ml of liquid and utilize replaceable coils instead of built in ones. This thing comes in a ton of colors and color combinations, and out of the gate I was impressed by the build quality. It has a zinc frame, so that, combined with the 1000mah battery adds a great feel in hand. There isn’t much to gripe at in regards to the size, feel, and design here at all.

OPERATION AND USE

For starters, it must be turned on. Five clicks of the fire button will turn this device off and on. From there, you will see the light around the button illuminate. Pressing this fire button three times will cycle through power settings.

With .6-ohm coil

• RED – 3.1v/16w
  • BLUE – 3.3v/18w
  • GREEN – 3.5v/20w

With 1.2-ohm coil

• RED – 3.3v/9w
  • BLUE – 3.45v/10w
  • GREEN – 3.65v/11w

These multicolored LEDs also offer up some information in regard to battery level. When firing the device, it will light up in a given color, which indicates battery life.

• GREEN – 65-100%
  • BLUE – 15-65%
  • RED – 0-15%

I was able to get through a pod and a third or so before I saw the red light pop up. Once red is on, it is time to charge. No way around that. To be honest, I felt like the vape was degrading before it hit red anyway, so for the most part, I always tried to keep it in the green.

PODS

The Lyra uses 2ml pods, which as I said above, are refillable, and use replaceable coils. They did things a bit differently on them. First off, to refill the pods, one must press the sides of the coil to release the top cap. It is very secure, and takes a bit of wiggling to get it off. Once the cap is off, there are two rubber plugs that are opened for refilling (one for liquid, one for air to escape). This method is relatively mess free and works well. One thing that is a bit innovative is how they did the coil swapping. Once that top cap is off, a knurled section on the coil pops up via springs. It provides adequate grip to unscrew the coil and pop in the next one. This spring loaded mechanism is key; as it allows the mouth piece to seal around the coil, and push down and out of the way. Very neat. These pods are also tinted, but not too dark. They allow easy viewing of liquid level, which is a pro.

PHOTO GALLERY

25kpFR1.jpg

J7jEX2c.jpg

92Bj3Ty.jpg

HRD3rQR.jpg

Y1Oyh5O.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

I was super stoked to get this pod system out of the gate. I have enjoyed several Lost Vape products over the years, and feel like many of their products are at a higher level than their competition. The Orion was a huge product last year and into this year, so I felt like Lost Vape really knew what they were doing with the pod scene. Right out of the box, like I said above, I was impressed. This thing looks and feels great. I can’t knock it at all for build quality. The operation is good, the power settings are a pro, and the battery indication is multi-level which I always give a pro to in every device. Now, comes the odd part about this device. The vape that I got from it never felt satisfying. The flavor is great, don’t get me wrong that, but a device like this, to me, should have a tighter draw. This is way too loose in my opinion, and since it isn’t adjustable, you get is what you get. Another disappointment with this open air flow is the temperature of the vapor. This provides a downright cold vape, even when set to max power, so I can see many that wouldn’t be in to that. Beyond this air flow came some trouble with coils as well, part of which could be the open air flow and not creating enough suction to pull liquid into the coils. I found that these struggled to keep up with wicking once I got about 2 refills into both types of coils. I tested it out with both 60/40 25mg nic salt and 50/50 12mg freebase liquid. There were great bubbles right away, but in time, I wasn’t getting much for bubbles and it wasn’t keeping up. I felt like I was always on the cusp of a burnt hit, and they flavor started to taste like it was slightly burnt in no time. I was still able to rock the mesh coil for about 20mls or so, but that was about as much punishment and vaping boredom as I could take.

This is a case of one of those products that is SO close to being good, but then it just isn’t there. The feel, the styling, the operation, the coil replacement, the refills….all things that it does well, but what it doesn’t do well is what we WANT it to do well. That is providing a satisfying vape experience.

OVEN TEST

If this were accidentally fall into the pizza oven, would I go get another? Yeah…I’m gonna give this one a solid no.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• Good flavor
  • Great designs
  • Pocket friendly
  • Good battery life
  • Solid feeling device

---------------------------------

CONS

• Super cool vape
  • Coils wouldn’t keep up with wicking
  • Draw is too loose
  • Top cap takes some work to remove

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Lost Vape for sending this for review. I am seeing this online for a wide range of pricing. Some show that it is as cheap as $18, while others are around $40.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread