Pizza Dave Delivers - An RDA Review - The Tengu by Geekvape

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Tengu rda by Geekvape. This the latest rda to come from Geekvape. It is a 24mm atomizer, which features side air flow, a tweaked velocity style build deck, and a 6mm deep juice well. Let’s dive in and take a closer look at the Tengu, and as always, I will have my final thoughts down at the bottom.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Geekvape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Tengu TDA
  • 1 Ultem 810 Drip tip
  • 1 Low profile Delrin Drip Tip
  • 1 510 adapter
  • 1 set of N80 fused claptons
  • 1 bag of agletted cotton
  • 1 T-handle tool
  • 1 Allen key for changing pins
  • Spare O-rings/screws
  • 1 Regular pin
  • 1 Squonk pin
  • Paperwork

Available in a ton of different colors including Stainless Steel, Black, Gunmetal, Gold, Blue, and Rainbow.

STOCK SHOT
OIYHO0j.jpg

PACKAGING
97vLtP8.jpg

UNBOXED
TViF7Ud.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

As I mentioned in the intro, the Tengu utilizes a new take on the velocity style deck. The lower posts are the negative, while the positive pin is a T-shape across the top. The T-screws come down straight into the coils, but the negative posts are angled. These will slightly tweak coils during install, but it is much better than coming in straight from the side like a traditional velocity deck. I never had trouble putting coils in this and found it to be straight forward. A new builder could work with this with ease, so I don’t see many issues with this deck. One nice thing about the T-post in the center is that it has a cut across the top so when liquid is dripped through the tip is disperses to the sides. The Barron did this as well, and it is a function I like. I squonked with this a little, and what I found was the liquid comes up the center post, between the positive and negative, then floods the juice well. It isn’t flush with the bottom so some liquid will remain when the squonk bottle is released. When dripping, I found the 6mm juice well to be great and the air flow is positioned high enough where over dripping or over squonking would be rather difficult.

Wicking on this is nothing special. Snip the cotton just long enough to be just about the bottom and you won’t have any trouble dripping or squonking with this.

AIR FLOW

The air flow on this rda is nothing too special. It features a generic side air flow, which features 13 air flow holes. The top cap locks into place centered on the coils, but when closing down air flow, the inlet becomes off centered. This isn’t ideal for flavor, and I don’t understand how companies keep on doing this. Luckily for me, I found that the air flow wide open was just right with the way I like to vape. I typically ran this atomizer at 90w and found the air flow to be smooth, and suitable for the dual build within.

PHOTO GALLERY

XWu7SzB.jpg

IE6LYGZ.jpg

0wNU0Nq.jpg

HvfgaBV.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

Alright, so I will start out that I was not very impressed with this RDA when I got it. I felt that it looked nice, except for the Ultem drip tip, but it seemed rather dated and didn’t bring anything new to the market. The build deck is nothing amazing, the air flow is not amazing, but it isn’t bad by any means. I tested mine with a few different builds, which included the stock coils it came with, a set of two-core fused claptons, and some SFQ coils by Badazd. The performance varied with each, but with all of these being large mass builds, it wasn’t a huge difference. One thing I will say though… I used the HELL out of this. I mostly used it as a dripper, and it is a dripper that I will keep on using. The air flow is smooth, the flavor is good, and it works well as a dripper, thanks to that peak in the center. It is funny how something that has basically been done before still holds up to time and can be a decent rda to date. This kind of brought me back to my vaping youth with a Troll 25 or something like it, but the denser chamber brings along a better vape experience. Is this a game changer? No, but I keep on using it, and enjoying it, so there’s that!

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? Probably not, but I am definitely enjoying it for the time being.

PROS

• Smooth airflow
  • Good flavor
  • Dripper and squonker friendly
  • Nice color options
  • Lots of accessories included

CONS

• Ultem drip tips can go away already
  • Low profile tip isn’t my style either
  • Air flow locks into position, so it will have off-center air flow when closed down
  • It isn’t really a game changing design

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Geekvape for sending this my way for review. I am seeing these online for about $25 to 35.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread