Pizza Dave Delivers - An RTA Review - The Destiny by Hellvape and Alex from VapersMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by to read another one of my reviews. Today I will be going over the Destiny by Hellvape and Alex from VapersMD. The Destiny is a 24mm, bottom airflow, single coil RTA. These don’t seem to come around all that often, so single coil fans tend to jump at every opportunity they can to snag one. I will do the usual and discuss building, wicking, and vaping on the Destiny and maybe by the end of reading you will have enough intel to make a decision on whether to pass or not on this. Perhaps it is your Destiny to buy one. Let’s get right to it eh?

DISCLAIMER: This was sent to me by Healthcabin for review.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT YOU GET

• Destiny RTA
  • 2mL frosted PCTG
  • 4mL bubble glass
  • 810 drip tip that’s shaped differently than most
  • .37-ohm clapton coil
  • Cotton
  • Spares bag (o-rings, screws, etc)
  • Tools
  • Paperwork

Available in black/silver logo, matte black, stainless steel, matte stainless w/ ultem tank, and matte stainless w/ PCTG tank (one I am reviewing).

STOCK SHOT
EouRJdN.jpg

PACKAGING
b9PL5FD.jpg

OUT OF BOX
x8egbfT.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Measurements: 24mm wide and 34.4mm tall

Capacity: 2mL with straight tank, 4mL w/ bubble

Drip Tip Size: 810, and comes with a bit of a uniquely shaped one

Airflow: Bottom airflow direct lung.

Other features: Available with Ultem or PCTG tank options, light knurling on AFC and fill cap

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The first standout to me is the styling. So many tanks look the same these days. With the combination of machining and knurling on the AFC and top cap, this looks excellent. The grooved 810 drip tip also adds some easily achieved aesthetics that are unique to this RTA. Starting at the top you will find a snug ¼ turn top fill cap. It’s too tight at first, but with a little bit of liquid it is perfect. This reveals two large fills holes, so even the messiest of us should have no issues with refills. Down at the bottom, you will find a snug AFC. This has stops in both directions and has two large cyclops airflow holes that meet in the middle and head up to the build deck. Before tearing it apart, I am impressed with how snug and well fitting everything is. I have had previous Hellvape tanks that were sloppy with their tolerances, but not on this one. It has a happy medium between loose and tight on both the AFC and the top cap, which generally shows me that they worked on this a few times to get it just right. Let’s tear it down and get inside.

BUILD DECK

The build deck of the Destiny appears to be the part they focused on the most. Single coil decks generally offer more room to be different on smaller atomizers, and they maximized the extra space with a dual post setup that straggles the airflow on one side. The post holes are hollow, so one can quickly toss a coil in and snip once it is positioned right. This reminds me greatly of the Augvape BTFC RDA, which was similarly designed. When I built mine, I elected to prebend the leads to come off the bottom of the coil, but you could also just insert the coil with a coiling tool to keep it all aligned, pre-bending takes the guesswork out. I played with coil placement, but essentially found that the top of my 3mm coils aligned with the top of the airflow scoops worked best for me. SIDE NOTE: DON’T USE THEIR COIL THAT’S INCLUDED. I had constant hot spots that arose even after tweaking it countless times. I attempted to vape it, but half a tank in, I had terrible burnt hits and after inspection, more hot spots. It’s trash.

Wicking this Destiny is super straight forward. Insert into the coil with proper snugness, snip so it just barely gets past the wicking channels, and tuck. The wicking channels are pretty big, so be sure to keep the cotton substantial and not too thin. I lightly combed through mine so the fibers were straight and left it at that. I never once experienced leaking or dry hits with the Destiny.

AIR FLOW

This RTA is somewhat of a bottom airflow design, but not how it hits the coil. Airflow travels into the bottom, then heads up two scoops that bring air right into the sides of the coil. Because of this design, leaking would be difficult to achieve unless all cotton is pulling out of the wicking channels. In terms of how the airflow feels, it’s a bit turbulent. Coil placement and diameter plays a part in this, but it doesn’t have a swooshy draw for sure. I like the feel of the draw, but the noise is my only gripe. Like I said, you could play with coil size and position and this gets better, but I settled where I settled for flavor and it is what it is.

PHOTO GALLERY

sdSQrV3.jpg

5sw7041.jpg

mvlD09h.jpg

ZkPzgkA.jpg

sb4eMOl.jpg

DYp4zEq.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

Alright, so we are built, we are wicked, we are juiced, wattage set to 65w…. hit it. Yum. Solid flavor abound from the Destiny. Going to keep the summary short here, but this is the breakdown. It is easy to build, easy to wick, and the entire thing is assembled with proper tolerances. I like the styling of it, like the glass options, and like I said before, flavor is not an issue. In fact, one of the only cons I have with the Destiny is the noisy, turbulent airflow. It isn’t a deal breaker but it is the standout of all cons. Nothing more discerning than getting ready to vape and have this feeling of swooshiness. For some, they won’t mind, but for others that are picky, they may. All in all though, having just one con like this makes the Destiny a formidable single coil RTA that I would toss the Pizza Dave stamp of approval on. I can see myself using this well after review. Well done Hellvape and Alex!

OVEN TEST – If this were to accidentally fall into the pizza oven, would I go out and get another? I think I would. Probably wouldn’t be the matt stainless, but I would grab one.

PROS

• Easy to build
  • Easy to wick
  • Difficult to make leak
  • Snug AFC and top fill caps that feel “just right”
  • Large fill holes
  • Great flavor
  • CHEAP

CONS

• Airflow is noisy
  • Airflow is turbulent

Thank you everyone for reading and thank you to Healthcabin for sending this my way for review. Healthcabin has these listed for just $19.44 with plenty of stock. For those reading in the UK, £15.35 takes it home.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread