Pizza Dave Reviews - A 2-4-1 Special - The Drag 2 and Drag Mini by Voopoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
Hello everyone, Pizza Dave here, delivering you another two for one special! This time around, I will be covering the Drag Mini and Drag 2 by Voopoo. These mods are follow ups to probably the most popular mod of 2017, the Voopoo Drag. This company came out of nowhere last year with the release of the Drag. It had that “poor man’s dna” thing going for it with the first Gene chip. It was solid and flat out worked. Over time we saw some new frame colors and the implementation of resin and you would be hard pressed to find someone that didn’t at least try one. Voopoo came out with a few other mods since, but they are back by popular demand with two new Drag models. Let’s dive in, look at the features, see how they vape, and as always, I will see you down at the bottom with my final thoughts.

DISCLAIMER: This device was sent to me by Voopoo for review.

WHAT YOU GET – DRAG MINI KIT

• 1 Voopoo Drag Mini 117W mod
  • 1 Uforce T2 tank
  • 1 .6-ohm P2 Single Mesh Coil
  • 1 .13-ohm N1 Single Mesh Coil
  • 1 Spare 3.5ml Straight Glass
  • 1 USB cable
  • 1 Spare Parts Bag
  • Paperwork

Available in Black frames with various colors of resin accent panels

PACKAGING
WrlS681.jpg

OUT OF BOX
IAEaASt.jpg

WHAT YOU GET – DRAG 2 KIT

• 1 Voopoo Drag 2 177W mod
  • 1 Uforce T2 tank
  • 1 .4-ohm U2 Dual Coil
  • 1 .2-ohm N3 Triple Mesh Coil
  • 1 Spare 3.5ml Straight Glass
  • 1 USB cable
  • 1 Spare parts bag
  • Paperwork

Also available with a Black frame and various colors of resin accent panels.

PACKAGING
0emrl3k.jpg

OUT OF BOX
8Cdwct0.jpg

FEATURES

First off, both of these are Drag mods, but very different. They have the same overall look and function, but they differ in both size, battery, and power output. Let’s start out with the Drag Mini. The mini version of the Drag series features a built-in 4400MAH battery, it has a maximum wattage of 117 watts, and has the smaller form factor than the Drag 2. The Drag 2 has just a few slight differences over the Drag 1. It still utilizes dual 18650 external batteries, has a maximum wattage of 177 watts, and has a more rounded form factor over the Drag 1.

Both of these have a nice overall look, so long as you can get over the huge drag logo pasted on the side. The resin is raised slightly and has a smooth, soft texture. Both of them feel solid in hand, with the except of some minor door rattle on the Drag 2. It isn’t terrible, but it is noticeable during daily use. One big oversite on both these mods is in regards to the 510 pin. It is positioned off-center, with no rhyme or reason to why it is here. Another con to their 510 is the raised nature of it. It will make every atomizer stand off a bit and is apparently designed this way to prevent scratches on the mod. Not a good move by them and it seems like they just tossed it on there in a rush. Both the Drag 2 and Drag mini look best with atomizers under 25mm. Anything larger will create overhang.

OPERATION

Operation of the old Drag 1 was a bit on the weird side. The chip is very DNA 166-esque and takes some time to get used to navigating. Both devices have the same overall operation, so this applies to both.

• 5 clicks of the fire button will turn it on and off.
  • To flip the screen, press the fire button with the down adjustment button.
  • To lock the entire device out, press the fire button and the up adjustment button
  • 3 clicks of the fire button will cycle through the modes
  1. Power
  2. Fit mode (up/down buttons cycle through fit mode 1, 2, 3) More on this in the how it vapes section
  3. Temp control (SS, Ni, Ti)

• In temp control mode, 4 clicks of the fire button will highlight the preheat wattage setting. It has a max preheat of 80w.

Holding down the up/ down buttons together will enter the menu. From there you will see options for the mode you are in. For example, when in wattage mode, you will see wattage, wattage curves, serial number, and firmware version. In temp control modes, you will see temp control, temp control curves, serial number, and firmware version.

Few shots of the menu system along with how their curves setup screen looks.

jnioEUZ.jpg

QM89PBz.jpg

qwmDSt6.jpg

It takes a little while to get used to all of these little shortcuts. After some time with it, it all becomes second nature, but it is a bit odd at first. Another option with the Gene chip is to connect to a PC and make more adjustments to the device. You can alter some screens and other misc. settings. It isn’t as in depth as a DNA board, but it is easy to work with and is not as daunting as escribe.

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

avPLYO1.jpg

hZtkp7c.jpg

KJ1GqDl.jpg

0emrl3k.jpg

8Cdwct0.jpg

0Pfp2Tm.jpg

Ik20G6V.jpg

KoFjH00.jpg

nfMx8ZI.jpg

CxhTnmL.jpg

w5L0Rw3.jpg

RbdCieu.jpg

HOW IT VAPES

One thing that we learned with the OG Drag was that the Gene chip can flat out perform. That carries on to both of these devices. It fires fast, it fires accurately, and is a solid performer. I never had issues with misfires or failures in any way shape or form. Both of the boards work well in their own niche and it is up to the buyer to pick which one fits their vaping style best. I should touch on the fit mode of the device, so here’s a quick summary. Essentially, without really knowing what Voopoo is doing here, I assume this reads the resistance and applies the power it thinks is best. Fit 1 is a soft hit, Fit 2 is medium, and Fit 3 is hard hit. I used fit mode with a few different atomizers and it does work, and for my vaping style, Fit 3 was about right each time. These modes work really well with the Uforce tanks that come in the kit and makes for a simple option for people that don’t want to mess with wattages and what not. I wish there was more of an explanation of what this does, but going off feel, that’s all I got.

As always when I review kits, I like to touch on the included tank. Both of these kits come with the Uforce T2 tank, however, the included coils are very different. The Drag mini comes with coils that are designed for lower wattage, as this mates better with the lower wattage, smaller battery capacity device. The Drag 2 comes with coils that are geared towards slightly higher wattages. During my tests, flavor on all their coils is decent. The Triple Mesh N3 coil that comes with the Drag 2 was my favorite of all. It just fits my vaping style most. The single mesh P2 coil on the Mini has decent flavor, but I had a lot of leaking problems with it and didn’t get to test too hard. These tanks are compatible with Fireluke Mesh coils if you don’t have access to Voopoo coils in your area, which is definitely a pro. Some other nice features of the tank are the slide to fill design. It is snug, so I never had worries of it popping open accidentally. The 5ml bubble glass is a pro as well, because, who doesn’t like more capacity. Other than the P2 coil leaking, I never experienced issues with the tank at all. The Uforce T2 tank is not out of this world amazing, but it acceptable and makes for a nice starter kit for someone that is just getting into vaping and doesn’t want to buy something separate.

TANK PROS

• Tons of coil options
  • Flavor is good, but dependent on the coil used
  • Aesthetics – I dig the style
  • Drip tips match the mod
  • Slide to fill cap
  • 5ml capacity with bubble glass
  • One of the quieter sub-ohm tanks I have used lately

TANK CONS

• P2 coil leaking – could be a qc thing, but must be noted
  • Finish doesn’t match the mod well

FINAL THOUGHTS

Both of these devices stuck to the roots of where they came from. They have the same familiar look and operation as the Drag V1, but with some mild changes. I wish they would have dropped the huge Drag logo on the side, as it is just not my thing. The biggest pro on both of these devices is the rounded shape. It makes them more comfortable in hand than the OG Drag, and that was one of the few gripes I had with that version. The newer Gene chip is still a confusing board to get used to, but at least the manual spells out the basics to make it manageable. A nice change is that it shows the level of both batteries rather than one single battery bar. However, along with some of these nice changes comes its share of cons. The battery door on the Drag 2 has some play and it is noticeable in hand every time it is used. The raised 510 ruins the look of it, and it’s placed in a weird location. I like that I can put a 25mm atty on these without overhanging the entire mod, but every atomizer looks just a bit off on top. Another con is the brightness of the screen. On a sunny day, it is damn near impossible to see it. I assume this is adjustable with the Voopoo software, but this should have implemented into the mod for easier access.

The Drag Mini is something that fits into a niche market. At first, I felt it was going to be a little piece of trash to be honest. However, I ended up really enjoying the mod. The built in battery has great life when using it at 50w or less, so that’s awesome. The smaller frame and solid feel of it in hand are also huge pros. It’s a nice little mod and I find myself using it a lot when paired with smaller, lower wattage atomizers. It shares many of the cons as the Drag 2, other than the fact that it has no battery door to rattle.

So, do I recommend these mods? I think it comes down to what you are running now. I don’t think it is worth going from a Drag V1 to the 2. The Drag 2 does have some pros to make it appealing, and one of the biggest is the shape. I hated the sharp edges of the V1 Drag, and that alone is enough to make me gravitate towards the newer version. As for where the Drag Mini fits in, that is going to come down to what type of atomizers you plan to run. I really dig it with smaller atomizers, especially MTL atomizers. It mates perfectly with them and is a device I can see myself using a lot down the road. Sadly, the Drag 2 probably won’t get a ton of use.

THE OVEN TEST

If this device went into the oven, would I go out and get another one? I would get a Drag Mini, but I don’t need a Drag 2 in my life.

PROS – DRAG 2

• Feels better in hand than the V1
  • Gene chip performance is solid
  • Resin accents look nice

CONS – DRAG 2

• Battery door rattles
  • 510 pin is in an odd location
  • 510 plate is raised
  • Gene chip takes time to get used to
  • Dimly lit display

PROS – DRAG MINI

• Smaller frame
  • Feels great in hand
  • Feels solid
  • Battery life is good at <50w
  • Resin looks nice on this as well

CONS – DRAG MINI

• 510 pin is in an odd location
  • 510 plate is raised
  • Gene chip takes time to get used to
  • Dimly lit screen

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Voopoo for sending these my way for review.

The Drag 2 Kit is popping up online for about $70-80

The Drag Mini Kit is popping up online for about $60-70

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread