Pizza Dave Reviews - A RTA Review - The Profile Unity by Wotofo

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Profile Unity RTA by Wotofo. This RTA has been made as a collaboration with Joel (Mrjustright1 on IG), Brian (TVC), and Wotofo and is a follow up to Joel’s wildly successful Profile rda that came out last year. The Profile Unity RTA features the same build deck as the profile, with some alterations for liquid flow of course. It comes with a short, 3.5ml glass, as well as an extended glass sections which holds 5ml of eliquid. We all know that the Profile rda was successful and was known to be great for flavor. Let’s dive right in and see how the Profile Unity compares shall we?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Wotofo for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Profile Unity RTA
  • 1 3.5ml short glass
  • 1 5ml tall glass
  • 1 chimney extension (for taller glass)
  • Mesh bending tool
  • Bag of spare parts
  • 2 Pieces of ORFR mesh strips
  • 2 pieces of Wotofo cotton (large for mesh)
  • Screwdriver
  • Paperwork

Available in a handful of colors including Stainless, Black, Gunmetal, Rainbow, Blue, and Gold.

Packaging
P8ad0Ql.jpg

Out of Box
Ycr9Ut9.jpg

Stock Shot
OktKrSq.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

If you ever owned or investigated the Profile Mesh rda, then you will find that these two are extremely similar. The only different between them is that the RTA is designed with wicking channels and is slightly altered so the assembly can go together. Installation of mesh on this deck is a breeze. Simply bend the mesh over the supplied tool and clamp the ends down into the deck. This clamp system works for single coils as well, but it isn’t ideal. I used regular coils on my profile rda but didn’t do it here. It contorts the clamps a lot and gives it the appearance that it is hard on the clamp system.

Putting the mesh in is easy, but the wicking is where the plot thickens. There are some nice instructional sources out there, including the manual that came with it. Essentially, you are going to want to pack a large wad of cotton in the coil, preferably about the diameter of what they supply. Then I straightened mine out nice and neat, and snip the cotton at an angle from the mesh edge to the side of the base of the atomizer. I then took some extra time to thin and manage the cotton to make it fit into the wicking slots just right. If you make this too light or too loose, you are going to have a bad time. Too tight and you will get dry hits, too lose and you will have flooding. I wicked mine up 3 times, and only one time did I have flooding. I was able to remedy this by stuffing the existent cotton into to wicking slots tighter.

Please take a look at my pictures of wicking and it will show you how I did it at least.

AIRFLOW

The airflow on the Profile Unity is a typical side air flow, which is a bit unique for an RTA. Basically, there are 5 holes on the side that angle in right at the middle of the mesh and can be adjusted hole by hole. Of course, as you turn it down, the airflow doesn’t hit the coil as even as it would if the air flow is wide open, but if it is wide open, it is quite airy. I ran mine with 1 hole closed and it was just right for me. This air flow is nice and smooth, and I have no complaints with the design whatsoever. One nitpicky thing might be that some liquid can build up within the air flow ring, and I noticed some seeping around the ring here and there. I normally wouldn’t say anything about that since it’s a normal thing, but when the air flow ring is higher set on the atomizer, it becomes more noticeable.

PHOTO GALLERY

UXBfngm.jpg

CfItwEM.jpg

UG9Nb9J.jpg

e65SJc5.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

So, I think the biggest question most will ask is how this vapes when compared to the Profile RDA. Basically, if you liked the flavor that the Profile RDA provided, the RTA version will not let you down. This is one of the best rtas I have ever had for flavor. Depending on the type of coil used, all sorts of aspects to each liquid are brought to life. I tested mine with the OFRF strips as well as with some Vandy Vape Ni80 mesh. The included OFRF mesh works quite well, and I found no issues running this in a range of 55-75w with normal vaping. The flavor changed quite a bit when I went to the Ni80 mesh, as it then brought out the sweeter side of my liquid, and it became even more flavorful to me. The vapor that this RTA is dense and flavorful, and I can’t ask for much more than that. Capacity of 5ml is great as well, as I was able to get decent run time in between refills. So, I have pretty much gushed about flavor and what not, but let’s talk about things I don’t really like. One thing is the design could be a little better. When I first got the atomizer, I went to do a tear down for cleaning. As soon as I started to take it apart, the short glass cracked on me. Part of this may have been my fault, but I am not known to break glass much, and this seemed to snap easy (could have been banged around in shipping or something, but I still must point it out). The other part of this that I don’t like is how the top cap rubs on the glass section. The feeling of metal rubbing on glass was like nails on a chalkboard to me, and I felt like it could cause glass damage as well. As I used the tank more, liquid lubricated this area, and I hardly noticed it with time. I mentioned in the air flow section how liquid seeped around the AFC which is situated mid-tank. It left me wiping off the side of the tank from time to time, but not really a deal breaker. By far the last con is going to be wicking. I had rather good luck with mine, as I built this with 2 different mesh strips and wicked it up three times. Of those 3 times, wicking was actually rather forgiving. I have tasted dry mesh coils, and really didn’t want that to happen, so on the side of caution, I thinned my wicking into the channels quite a bit. The result at times was some gurgling and light flooding. I never got mine to full blown leak but had to play with the cotton a bit to allow it to wick just right. If you follow how Wotofo shows you how to do it (or watch some Youtube videos), you should be able to nail the wicking with a few tries. I wouldn’t suggest this for a new builder, but don’t think that the wicking is a deal breaker by any means.

With all these things being said, I will say that this is a pretty dang good RTA. The flavor alone is a good reason to get one. My opinion might be greatly skewed because I didn’t have any major mishaps with wicking. So, with the Profile RDA out there, why an RTA? For me personally, I would much rather grab the rda and rock it on a squonk mod. However, if you are a vapor that isn’t into squonking and wants a good flavor RTA, then this is made for you. The fact that this puts out flavor on the level of the Profile RDA is impressive and it truly does bring out the flavor PROFILES of your e-liquid. They did a nice job with this one, and it is a good piece of hardware for the niche market of mesh builders out there.

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? No, I would go for the RDA instead. However, like I said above, I tend to use more squonkers than anything.

PROS
  • Amazing Flavor
  • Easy to install mesh on
  • Air flow is smooth
  • 5ml capacity is good
  • Nice color options
  • I dig the overall styling

CONS
  • Wicking can require some trial and error
  • Minor seeping around AFC
  • Glass broke easy on me
  • Top cap grinds on glass when it is dry

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Wotofo for review. This RTA is on the market just about everywhere right now with pricing right around $40.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread