Pizza Dave Reviews - The Galaxies MTL RDTA by Vapefly

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s vape reviews. Today I will be reviewing the Galaxies MTL RDTA by Vapefly. This is the latest piece of hardware from Vapefly and another entry in their Galaxies series of MTL devices. Right when I was beginning to think the days of the rdta have come to a close, Vapefly comes along and revisits this classic design with a 22mm atomizer that is geared toward the mtl vapors out there, but with a twist. It squonks. There are several innovative and just plain cool things packed into this little rdta, so let’s get right to it, and I will see you down at the bottom for my final thoughts.

As always, I must mention that this was sent to me by Vapefly, but in no way will influence my review.

5RKIi7h.jpg

WHAT YOU GET

- 1 Galaxies MTL RDTA w/ 2ml capacity

- 1 Spare glass

- 1 Spare drip tip (black Delrin)

- 2 Ni80 coils

- 1 BF pin

- 1 Manual

- 1 Spare parts bag

- 1 Multi-tool

- Available in Black, Stainless Steel, Blue, and Rainbow

- Measurements: 39.8mm high X 22.2mm wide

UfBEwY9.png

Nmz8yHp.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

The build deck on this rdta is like that of the rda, but it has a few mild differences. It still features a 2-post single coil design. It also has a notched deck for easy coil installation and proper alignment. Building on this is just as easy as it is on the rda, as the posts are cut out on the sides to allow the coil to slide right into position. I mostly ran 2.5mm Clapton coils, but also ran a few round wire 3mm builds as well. It is not made for huge beefy coils, but smaller coils do the trick and larger ones would be unnecessary. When using larger ID coils, the wicking needs to be thinned out quite a bit as the holes running down into the tank portion are not very large. Just like many rdtas, wicking seems to work best when they are just barely tucked into the wicking holes. When you tilt your device while vaping, the liquid contacts the cotton and voila, you are wicking liquid from the tank below. I had a few times when I wicked it a bit tight into the holes and it struggled to keep up, so loosely tucking into the holes is advised.

F6cj4FI.jpg

AIR FLOW

Vapefly also kept the air flow similar to the Galaxies rda, but with a few small changes. It still comes through the deck posts and right at the coil, but instead of coming straight in from the sides it comes in at an upward angle. Adjustments to air on the deck are also the same as the rda, as they once again added screws to choke down the air flow. I am not a huge fan of this as we are relying on them to stay put at all times. I haven’t witnessed a screw failure yet but could see it happening if something adjusts the screws a lot and wears them out. The vape, overall is very close to the Galaxies and if I were to vape them blind folded I would have a tough time differentiating between the two. The outer air flow adjustment is a little different than the rda, as this time around it has 9 air holes that are various sizes. 6 of the holes work in unison and provide air flow from both sides, but if you keep on adjusting, the other 3 holes take over and air flow comes in from one side. This provides a ton of adjustment for fine tuning your vape. It can go from a very tight mouth to lung draw with 1 small hole and the screw closed off, to a restricted direct lung hit by using both large holes and both screws opened all the way.

HOW IT VAPES

If you read my galaxies mtl rda review, then you already know what is coming here. Since this provides a very similar vape, I can sit here and rave all day. It is hands down one of my favorite mtl devices out there. It has a ton of adjustment, the flavor is excellent, and with the tank underneath, it allows for a decent amount of vape time before refill. One of the great options this has is when coupled with a squonk mod, just press the bottle, and bam…. It is refilled. It is highly satisfying to watch the tank fill from below. If it is run without a squonk mod, refilling is a breeze with a check valve type port on top (see pics below). Press your bottle against, squeeze, release, and remove the bottle. It is effective, leak free, and just plain cool.

PHOTO GALLERY

BUILD W/ INCLUDED NICHROME COIL
fIFCPwf.jpg

ALL WICKED UP
ORNwJZ4.jpg

REFILL VIA SQUONKING AND VIEW OF THE AIR FLOW INLET
KisZZ8Q.jpg

REFILL VIA CHECK VALVE FILL PORT
gaCiNA2.jpg

ON TOP OF THE RSQ
6a4scmT.jpg

ON TOP OF MINIKIN V2
RZWZ2X4.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

This is my favorite of the Vapefly Galaxies devices. It works about the same as the rda, yet it has some flat-out cool features that I nerd out on. It adds some capacity, and it is oh so pleasing to refill it with a squonk mod. The flavor is top notch, and it has a ton of adjustments for mtl vapors. It would be a bit tight for those who like direct lung vaping. It doesn’t work well on its own, as the 2ml capacity sucks down at a quick rate. The Galaxies RTA sipped the liquid and had more capacity with the bubble glass, but when coupled with a squonk mod it has juice for days. I can refill this, and toss in a full battery and get through 2 days of work before needing a battery and a squonk bottle refill so that is a huge pro. It is full of way more pros than cons, and I can see myself using this for a long long time. Vapefly nailed it for MTL vapors, so if that is your jam then you have the Pizza Dave freshness guarantee.

PROS

- Tons of air flow adjustment

- Looks good

- Innovative refill method

- Great flavor

- Easy to build on

- Easy to wick

- No leaking issues

- Super satisfying squonk to fill action

CONS

- Doesn’t work well as a stand alone rdta as capacity diminishes too much for the tank size

- Wicking may take a few tries, but with rdta design is easy to adjust on the fly without complete tear down (minute con)

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read my review and thank you to Vapefly for sending it my way for review! It isn’t at a ton of online stores yet, but it is popping up for a wide range of $25-45. Here are a few links to check out.

Vapefly Galaxies MTL Squonk RDTA – VapeFly.net

Vapefly Galaxies MTL BF 22mm RDTA | MTL Tank

https://www.heavengifts.com/product/Vapefly-Galaxies-RDTA.html

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread