Status
Not open for further replies.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
So I have tons of 30 gauge, and its the only gauge I have, dont really feel like buying more kanthal, as if i were to, honestly id end up buying a spool of 28 for me and 32 for the mrs, she is still using kanger, and regulated.... i just recently joined reoville, many thanks to the kind folks in reoville too... but i figured this was the more appropriate place to ask...

what all comes from twisting the kanthal? can someone explain it to me like i am special? can we do this 5th grader style? please pretty please, id rather be told too much than not enough...

hoping to do this tonight so i can try it, and if i like it leave it, if not switch back to the regular tonight before going to work tomorrow...

so hoping i get some quick answers here...

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
what all comes from twisting the kanthal? can someone explain it to me like i am special? can we do this 5th grader style? please pretty please, id rather be told too much than not enough...
By twisting it (2 strands together), you effectively cut the net resistance in half. Twist it using a drill, and fairly tightly so that it stays together when coiling and fitting to terminals. About 16 to 20 twists per inch should hold together fairly well with 30 ga.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
So I did it, and it worked, i forget how many wraps, but i got a nice tight twist... i couldnt tell you how many twists per inch... its just nice and tight... much easier to deal with than regular 30 gauge... was shooting for 1 ohm, got it to 1 ohm... heats up beautifully, and man is it nice, i cant really say anything on the flavor part, because i just came down with a cold today and well not getting much flavor out of anything... and as always heres a couple of pics... really poor quality but here they are...

5KWeJgJ.jpg

ohckKnp.jpg

G2QVbta.jpg

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
So I did it, and it worked, i forget how many wraps, but i got a nice tight twist... i couldnt tell you how many twists per inch... its just nice and tight... much easier to deal with than regular 30 gauge... was shooting for 1 ohm, got it to 1 ohm... heats up beautifully, and man is it nice, i cant really say anything on the flavor part, because i just came down with a cold today and well not getting much flavor out of anything... and as always heres a couple of pics... really poor quality but here they are...
First shot is OK, 2 & 3... not so much.
rolleyes2.gif

Twist wire coils do tend to "light up" nicely, are certainly stiffer and hold their shape better - and some would argue that, for a given resistance, there is more surface area for juice to linger on than with a thicker, single wire coil.

Maybe after your cold abates, you'll be able to tell if they've become your new favorite. ;-)

Cheers

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
Camera is my wifes cheap digital camera, it was that or my cheap cell phone's camera... lol... either one would have been awful... the phone being worse... now my wife and i have discussed getting 3 things this tax return, new cell phones, (being reasonable of course) but i should end up with a much much better cell, im thinking samsung galaxy, she was thinking i phone until she saw the price... and we are thinking of getting like a kindle fire hdx... so that way i can have something for when im at work, especially when i come down on 24 hour duty... and when we are both home instead of fighting over the computer we can split between tablet and computer... i could go further with more detail, but lets say my wife is not tech friendly... it will be our tablet, but i wont leave her alone with it, not just because of her... because of our 2 and 4 year old monsters...

point of that long winded story, is i will be able to get better pics eventually... and when i do... well hopefully you guys will like em... lol

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Wickeddeuce said:
not sure how your resistance is so much higher than mine... i am fairly positive i used more wraps with twisted 30... on what i think is the same bit...
And so it may appear, but...

Twisted 30 gage . .6/7 wrap around 1/16th drill bit, 1.4ohms. It's ok . .I was really looking for 1.0-1.1 .
That's not correct. A single strand of 30 gauge - 7 wrap on a 1/16" mandrel is typically around 1.4Ω+/-. You should be a bit below 1.0Ω. How are you determining resistance value Bosco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread