Plastic taste after changing coils and cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeZ

Sep 25, 2018
I have a smok Stick m17 that I've been using for 3 months and have been pretty happy with, but for some reason it started giving off a horrible plastic taste. At first I thought it was just the atomizer, but after changing it out for a new one (yes I prepped it first) the taste is still there. I took apart the tank and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, rinsed with water and let it air dry. I've tried using a different e liquid than the one I was using (I thought it could be due to the plastic bottle and switched to a juice that was in a glass bottle) but the flavor is still there. The only o-ring that is removable seems to be fine but I suppose that could be the issue? Unfortunately I don't have a spare one to replace it with as of now. Has anyone ever had this problem and figured out what it was?

Reactions: Bradder

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
There aren't many parts in an atomizer which (a) are reached by intense heat and (b) taste like plastic if heated. I'd check 2 parts: The o-ring on the chimney above the coil, and the insulator at the bottom of the coil. Take a good look at them, maybe one of them has been burnt, is dissolving, whatever...and ofc check the cotton in the coil as well. Maybe the cotton is low quality and you smoked it.

MoeZ

Sep 25, 2018
There aren't many parts in an atomizer which (a) are reached by intense heat and (b) taste like plastic if heated. I'd check 2 parts: The o-ring on the chimney above the coil, and the insulator at the bottom of the coil. Take a good look at them, maybe one of them has been burnt, is dissolving, whatever...and ofc check the cotton in the coil as well. Maybe the cotton is low quality and you smoked it.
I've tried multiple coils and had the same taste so I don't think that's the issue. I checked the o-ring on the chimney, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol (it doesn't look melted or anything but I have no idea what else it could be)

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I've tried multiple coils and had the same taste so I don't think that's the issue. I checked the o-ring on the chimney, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol (it doesn't look melted or anything but I have no idea what else it could be)

The only atty Smok makes I like is the RSST. I've never been able to get a flavor I liked out of any of their drop in coil tanks. I always get a burnt or off flavor from their coils or the tank just decides to dump everything out of it. I may be an odd duck, as many people like the tanks, they make a slew of them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Take that tank off and try a different tank with the same juice you are using.

Oh, you can't do that because your setup is an AIO (all in one) setup. I knew there was a reason I don't like them. :grr:

Try changing the wattage setting...

oh, you can't do that either. Your battery device is fixed to one setting. :grr:

SMOK coils are pretty notorious for being inconsistant in quality.

Another reason I don't like SMOK products. :grr:

Sorry that I'm not being more helpful, but from where I'm sitting there's not much you are going to be able to do with the limitations of that setup.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Janusz

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@MoeZ – You shouldn’t wash any kind of rubber/silicone with rubbing alcohol unless it is actually specified as alcohol safe. Alcohol can break down certain rubbers and will cause silicone to swell

I would disassemble the tank and see if you can smell where the culprit is. Certain rubber can also retain odors. I have a silicone squonk bottle that retained the odor of a very potent fruity/minty juice. The bottle is unusable now for it does give off a plastic taste.

Drop all parts of the tank with the exception of the coil in a zipp bag full with baking soda and leave over night. Wash with dish soap and rinse well. See if that helps.

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Maybe a smell around the house. I know if I vape around smoke from a chimney or similar the smell is un noticable but the taste shows up. I thought I had a burnt coil on many occasions when it was just something in the air. Having perfume or aftershave or even soap on your hands can leave a flavor you cant get rid of.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Has anyone ever had this problem and figured out what it was?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Suggest replacing all seals and in the future, clean seals and all cleanable components only with soap and water. These's units are mass produced and often poorly researched/tested prior to consumer production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread