Play a song and tell us were, when and why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
We have lots of music threads and they always seem fun and bring out the best in all of us. So here is one more.

Post a song, doesn't have to be your favorite or the greatest song or even have anything to do with the type of music you like, it just has to come with a story.

Tell us a tale, when did you hear the song, how old were you and what made it so special or just goofy or whatever. Not really requirments just asking for anything as to why it was cool at that time.

For example, Boy's of Summer. Summer would hit and the girls would flock north. But the end of the summer always came. I remember walking down the empty beach with my walkman on listening to this song, thinking it's going to be a long cold winter. (poor me) lol.

For every good song there must be a million stories.

I ask my wife and she remembered and she said "the Saturday Night Fever album". Her mom bought it and pushed the furniture out of the way then made her learn the Hussle. :D

Safira

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Plainfield,IL
So many songs bring back memories, "Pour Some Sugar on Me", because in my younger days, on the weekends before we girls would go out "scamming for guys", we'd play that song. It always put us in the mood to hunt for our next victim. (you poor men)

A more innocent one is Don Mc Lean American Pie, it's the 1st song that I could play that I actually got my husband to sing along with me on. Only once though, I need to get this man to get out of his shell more.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
So many songs bring back memories, "Pour Some Sugar on Me", because in my younger days, on the weekends before we girls would go out "scamming for guys", we'd play that song. It always put us in the mood to hunt for our next victim. (you poor men)

A more innocent one is Don Mc Lean American Pie, it's the 1st song that I could play that I actually got my husband to sing along with me on. Only once though, I need to get this man to get out of his shell more.

I love that song. It was also one of the first songs I learned how to play. They had it in a "Fake" book and I think it was like 7 pages long.

My favorite memory with that song was my first night in Basic Training. Here we were a bunch of scared kids from all over the place. We got screamed and hollered at all day and then it was lights out. I don't think any of us were ready for bed. Someone started humming American Pie. Next thing you know someone started singing and then we were all at it, trying like hell to remember the next verse.

Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,
To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.
I've read, that things inanimate have mov'd,
And, as with living Souls, have been inform'd,
By Magick Numbers and persuasive Sound.
What then am I? Am I more senseless grown
Than Trees, or Flint? O force of constant Woe!
'Tis not in Harmony to calm my Griefs.
Anselmo sleeps, and is at Peace; last Night
The silent Tomb receiv'd the good Old King;
He and his Sorrows now are safely lodg'd
Within its cold, but hospitable Bosom.
Why am not I at Peace?

Safira

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Plainfield,IL
That's cool Brad, it seems like everyone on earth knows the words in the chorus of that song. It does have what 7 or 8 verses though. But it's an easy song to play, and it always seems to bring people together.

That's is such a moving quote, ("why am I not at peace") I also try to remind myself of this one, "Defer not til tomorrows sun to be wise. To thee tomorrow's sun may never rise." But then somedays I just feel like I don't even have a brain.

I didn't know you served? Well then I need to say thank you for that. I understand basic is hell, but they need to beat you down before they can build you back up. That's how they see it anyway.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
That's cool Brad, it seems like everyone on earth knows the words in the chorus of that song. It does have what 7 or 8 verses though. But it's an easy song to play, and it always seems to bring people together.

That's is such a moving quote, ("why am I not at peace") I also try to remind myself of this one, "Defer not til tomorrows sun to be wise. To thee tomorrow's sun may never rise." But then somedays I just feel like I don't even have a brain.

I didn't know you served? Well then I need to say thank you for that. I understand basic is hell, but they need to beat you down before they can build you back up. That's how they see it anyway.

Basic training should be hell. If you break down because you get screemed at you really are not going to do well in combat. Although to be honest I don't think anyone knows how they will handle being shot at until it happens. Fight or Flight is very real and even if you get past your first ten fire fights it's still no promise that number eleven won't be the one were you break down.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
One of my favorites. This one is sung by Gretchen Wilson. It blew me away until I realized that she is sisters with Nancy and Ann Wilson of the Brian Wilsons (also of Heart, the original band who did it. It's not wonder she sounds like Ann Wilson did in the 60s. You'll also see Nancy playing the Heritage Cherry Epiphone and singing backup.

Last edited:

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
One of my favorites. This one is sung by Gretchen Wilson. It blew me away until I realized that she is sisters with Nancy and Ann Wilson

I don't mean to be a jerk or anything here, but this is totally incorrect. The Wilson sisters from Heart are not related to Gretchen Wilson at all. In fact, by the time Gretchen was born, both Ann and Nancy Wilson were old enough (23 and 19, respectively) to be Gretchen's mother.

of the Brian Wilsons

Assuming you're referring to Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys here, again it's just wrong. Ann and Nancy were born in California, and their dad was a Marine. Gretchen was born in Illinois and has an absentee father.

It's not wonder she sounds like Ann Wilson did in the 60s.

She definitely sounds like a young Ann Wilson, and hits all the high and powerful notes that Ann just can't reach any more. But Ann didn't do any singing in the `60s. Well, not professionally anyway.

Again, I really don't mean to come off like a jerk, and I certainly mean no offense, DaveP. But, IMO, some corrections really needed to be made to the text from your post.

Last edited:

SilverBear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009

When: Memorial Day weekend, 1991
Where: Heaven (massive club in downtown Rochester, now defunct)
What: Village People 70s "revival" tour. After the show, a few of the guys came out and mingled with the crowd for a while. I approached Glenn Hughes and asked if he'd like to join me on the dance floor. Got to share a few moves and a little extreme dirty talk with a celebrity and icon.

GH.jpg

TheKingOfKool

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Pennsylvania State
I live in a college town and one night i was walking down the street and there was this college girl sitting outside the taco shop with her friends. her friends were behind a wall so they couldn't see me but she could and i noticed her looking at me and i looked at her like i was asking would you let me watch you do that? cause i knew she was going to end up .........ing to me that night. I saw her again about a week later and she let me know she thought about me watching her. this song reminds me of her every time i hear it.
YouTube - Every Breath You Take - Sting & The Police

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Caffeinated wrote: Assuming you're referring to Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys here, again it's just wrong. Ann and Nancy were born in California, and their dad was a Marine. Gretchen was born in Illinois and has an absentee father.

I stand corrected! The Wilson girls were in the group Wilson Phillips. I don't know why I always thought that there was a connection in Heart. You're right, Gretchen is young enough to be a great grandchild of Brian. Nancy and Ann are the right age, though, just not from the same gene pool.

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
I never liked rap till I heard this album:Amazon.com: Judgment Night: Music From The Motion Picture: Living Colour & Run D.M.C., Faith No More & Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E.: Music

This is the song that got me:

I was still in highschool and was only into metal and punk. The only rap I knew was the garbage on mtv. I had no idea it could be so powerful or evocative. It opened my mind in ways I couldn't imagine. It also led me to becoming an artist. If it wasn't for faith no more and the boo yah tribe I'd probably have never picked up a microphone.

firefox335

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2010
Ohio
The main riff from this song was the first thing I ever learned to play on guitar. It was a broken down acoustic with two strings on it. Two very corroded strings I might add. I was about 14 years old. But it was enough to make me realize that I could actually learn to play an instrument. Even though this song came out 10 years before I was even born, it will always remind me of first learning to play the guitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread